Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miss Serendipity

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Third DodgeBrother, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Rain out again today, but Miss Serendipity saw the sun, for the first time in a while, yesterday.

Swap meet headers just fit, need to dimple #5 a touch for framerail clearance. Researching flanges and quarter bends for boom tubes. Has anyone tested the loss in power, zoomies vs headers?

Swapped out the E2 (C5) for the D7(C4). Tranny mounts are 3/4" off, bellhousing bolts are 1" long. Thanks Mr Ford. Have a few extra flexplates somehow. I was taught the flexplate must stay with the motor for balance. Is this correct?

Dragged a trailer home last week, looking at a pole-barn type shop for freedom from the weather.

Attached Files:

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You need a neutral balance flexplate for the 300 6.

3. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

My wife says I'm a hoarder.... I'm starting to believe her!

"But Dear, I needed the slip yoke, and a set of V-belt pullies, and those alternator-only brackets are next to impossible to find, and it was only $275, and you know I can make that back on ebay for the parts I won't use, and you know the sum of the parts is always way more than the whole assembly, and the guy threw in that neat wooden stand...."

Attached Files:

4. bobw

bobw

Looks like all good parts to me. Wives can be so unreasonable.:p

5. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Lone Star Roundup photos. Picked up new axle for Miss Enid. No immediate comments from Joanne, but I did get "The Look". While I was restricter-plate-racing up I-35, doing 85 and trying hard not to get run over by the FAST movers, she brought it up. I couldn't pay too much attention, but I think I heard "spending money we don't have" and "You need to buy me a new quilt." I didn't follow that logic, but "peace at any price!"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Still here, maybe not ALL here: turned 63 yesterday! Lost time due to six weeks of vacation travel, time spent getting shop and trailer built. Emptied the rental storage building last week, with luck will empty HF portable garages today! Still need to turn shed full of junk into working shop, world headguarters of Stone Axe Racing.

First job is to cut the c5 out of the frame and fab mounts for c4. Hope to be able to reuse motor mounts. Why is it so easy to build, but so hard to cut and rebuild? Cage bends will come next, if I left room to pull the handle.

Attached Files:

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Wow...Liking he size of that shop. Room enough to get stuff done. :D

8. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

headers the way to go then tune the collecter the Tulsa guys have tried it both ways look at their cars on face book www.facebook.com SDRA/tulsa

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow indeed! Lookit all that room. :cool:

My hogan's 11 x 18, with actual available floor space after workbench, toolbox, and shelving, of 7 x 14 ...... and no practical way to expand. :(

But it still beats working outside under a tree or in the street. :D

10. bobw

bobw

Nice! You've probably waited a long time to get your dream shop.

11. Old28

Old28

Real nice shop you put up and some fine looking parts and projects in it already. Was the roadster with the cage a drag car?:confused:

I had a great 60' x 30 3 door shop and work area when I was in WA state a few years ago and it seems to take no time to fill it up. Enjoy it.:D

12. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Got the last load on the trailer, ready to move into the shop. When I took it out to "make a block" to get pointed in the right direction, the engine stand I bragged about(#123) folded, and pushed the engine hoist off onto the road. More drama, and yet another delay.

The shop is 30 x 30, but is already starting to look like ten pounds of walnuts in a five pound sack. My wife warned me it would be full before I moved in, but yet again, I didn't listen. Giddings swap meet is in a few weeks: maybe one time I'll leave more than I bring home!

The 27 was started while I was involved with sprint cars. Kinda mixed the sprinters, the Gratiot Sprint T, and a V6 turbo T that showed up in magazine ads. The magazine car belonged to John Thawley. When I got in contact with him, he admitted he never could get that combination to work either! I may try again, with megasquirt, but the body will probably be used first, on a new frame, with one of my Pinto 2.3's with T5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are scaring me! :eek: Next week I start fitting the contents of my current 20X40 into a 28X32. The new shop building is sitting behind my wife's anniversary present. I was planning on just buying her a nice big diamond ring but she decided that she wanted a second house that was close to the grandkids instead. :( I am sure that in the future everything that I am looking for will be at the other place.

14. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Its only been a few days, and the shop is only 100 feet from the garage, but I already know that whatever I need, nut, bolt, tool, part or cold drink, whatever, is going to be found only in the other place!

15. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Where does the time go? Two years! My excuses are the usual suspects: time, money space, health, weather, computer problems. Too many other projects. Miss Serendipity and I look a lot like we did two years ago, but don't bury us. We're not quite dead yet!

Part of the problem was that I'd allowed myself to be talked into the Bob Hindman formula for SDRA: 300 Ford, powerglide, 8" ford rear with spool. Never quite bought into the quarter elliptics. But, with Bob's problems, I've been waiting near forever for him to fab the adapter/motorplate and rework my flex plate . I'm still reluctant to cut up the old car.

What's the answer? Its obvious! Build two cars. "Plan B" will (may?) join "Miss Serendipity" in the shop. I've gathered most of the parts on the list, plus a complete '40 Ford front end. Now its just tubes and welding.

16. bobw

bobw

Glad to see you are still excited about finishing the build. When I took the slant 6 out of mine and put the 300 Ford 6 in it I used a race Powerglide that was sitting under the bench. I used a JW Ultrabell bell housing for a small block Ford and connects to a Powerglide. Also used their flex plate and hub adapter. It's not cheap but it is simple. And it is an SFI legal unit. Nice to know my lower extremities are protected.

http://www.racewithjw.com/JWPerformance.html#p=24

17. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

It would sure be a lot easier to just use a C-4. Front springs are not needed. We had three cars with solid mount front. Mine, Roy Merritt's and Todd Martins. One slant and two Jimmy's. I was using a 3 speed 904.