Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah, same thing as above. Sure does seem like there are a lot of self righteous people on here. Not just a bunch of old guys on here.:rolleyes:

2. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

- complete strangers who flip open gas cap door in fin of my 57 wanting to impress there friends......blood pressure outasight!

-complete strangers who have to find out if the stainless trim on my qtr. panels is as loose as they think it is - by pulling on it!

-"why don't your back rims match the front? man that's ugly"

-a few passengers have tried to crank open the vent window without sliding the latch first!!

-and ya!.....slammin' the door!

3. All old cars have to be unsafe:
    When I first got my model A roadster pickup on the road, the gal working at the grocery store seen it out the window and says "is that thing safe?" My reply was "well yes and no, safe because everything is new on it (brakes, steering etc.), not safe if you get into a head on collision".

4. rld14

rld14

WTF? My '60 doesn't have EFI??

:D

I'm 36, figured it out when I was 14......

5. vonhyde

vonhyde

guess i grew lucky, im 24 can start a carburetored car with a manual choke and drone a 53 chevy pick-up with 3on the tree in high school, but not many other kids knew alot thought it was an automatic...:rolleyes:

6. rld14

rld14

First time I ever drove a three on the tree...

Guy I bought it from confirmed the shift pattern, so I said thanks, got in it, and drove it home.

To Orlando, FL.

From Sarnia, Ontario.

No problemo :)

7. cavemag

cavemag

Sadly from what it seems like driving a manual is quickly becoming a lost to people. Especially those in my age group.

8. I did that one on of the few trips my wife forced me to do to seattle/ pike place market. We were walking along and some guy was begging for money, just saw a guy give him 5 bucks in front of us and just as he was getting ready to ask my wife I looked at him and said hay you got 5 bucks to spare?

9. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

#1) Old cars weigh a lot more

#2) I'm 29. Since I was 11 years old I have literally saved every cent that I could for the sole purpose of buying old cars. I, again quite literally, didn't buy ANYTHING from the time I was 11 until i was around 18. If I wanted something, I waited for a birthday. I now have 3 old cars and because of that people think I'm either spoiled, rich or have parents that I must have gotten them from. I can tell you, I barely have enough money to get by and I drive them when I'm able, but they're worth it just to be able to sit in and enjoy even if sometimes it's just in the garage. These cars are a somewhat emotional experience for me, a way to connect with the past. That means a lot to me and fortunately God has provided me with the opportunity to have the experience.

#3) When an old car is sitting in a parking lot it's OK to open the doors and look through it in any way a person might feel they want because "it's old."

Brandon

10. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

C'mon man, that's one of the best parts about old cars. I hate the attention they get. I just love them because of what they are, but getting to talk to people and hear some of the old timers' stories is one of the great benefits of these cars. For once, most people aren't instantly jerks, but they're actually really nice, even if uninformed about cars.

Brandon

11. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

The one I get alot from my family is "You need to get your priorities straight,and stop wasting money on that p.o.s" Like me being into cars is some how getting in the way of me having a great life. :rolleyes: And that being passionate about something is a character flaw.Oh ya people that slam my doors either walk or take the bus next time around.:D

We use this saying in our club,that I got from my old man.....
    If we have to explain it to you,you'll never get it.

some people man lol

12. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

ok my peeve
    1 slamming doors

2 leaning on my car

3 coming outta the coffee shop and find some turd looking at my car and
    putting his cup o cafe on my hood or roof while looking at car

4 suvs parking so close to me i need a can opener to get back in my car

5 same turds as above opening there pieces of crap doors and banging
    them off my car only to claim well its just a old car

6 lol the way my blood pressure raises when any of the above happens

13. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

So am I special? Bought the car two years ago when I was 24 and took me all of 30 seconds to learn how to drive 3 on the tree. And it has a manual choke :eek:

14. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I used to own a 1966 Electra and would sometimes get a horrified look when I filled it up with $120 worth of petrol. They would say something like "wow! that's a LOT of petrol (down here we call it petrol not gas). My favourite come back was "sure it takes a lot of petrol because it's got a huge tank so that should last me at least 2 or 3 days so it's all good". They would look even more horrified so my last line as I'm walking out would sometimes be "relax, not everyone is poor - besides driving this all month costs me less than half of a payment on a new car so I'm way ahead".

15. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

lol maybe you are special Hitman i think he was just referring to most
    that are just into the tuner thing ....welcome all all young blood to old school ways

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Best list yet! When 3 and 4 happen they learn how "evil" I can be

17. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Every time I have a conversation with a non-enthusiast (and even some enthusiasts- although they tend to be conventional enthusiasts) about these 'rusty ol' rods' which I have an indescribable passion for and tell them that I'm planning to drive my future Model A daily, the first thing you hear is, "but those old cars break down all the time..."

Firstly, sounds like 'they' should be the enthusiast by the sound of their certainty and knowledge on this topic.

After I explain to them that "if you drive the old car like it ought to be driven, it'll often keep you on on the road without any hassles.... Also, if you maintain the car correctly, once again, it won't let you down. In the end of the day, they were driven on possibly some of the roughest, if not the roughest roads in existence throughout the '30s and 40's and were extremely reliable and hardy."

Then you hear the comfort rave.... "But they must be so uncomfortable and rough to drive in?" I reply, "well yes, you're quite right. However, I, and most other passionate Traditional Hot Rodders who stay true to the foundations and merit of this lifestyle and hobby aren't in this hobby for the comfort, nor monetary investment etc etc... We love these autos for what they are- we appreciate their feedback, their personality- we're a rare bread!"

After reading a few more comments, I had to chime in a bit more.....

Apparently you must be loaded to afford these old things. It's called working hard and saving up your pennies to sink them into what you love! It's simple.

And lastly, my uncle 'A BONED' taught me this one- "If you don't 'get it', you don't 'get it'!"

Couldn't have put it any better myself....

HC.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  18. I don´t understand that one either. My daily car is twenty two years old and not worth a bean (since I don´t have a burning need to prove to everyone how rich I am with a new car), but it well maintained and reliable, so I don´t exactly feel bad about spending money on my old car. Between both cars I would bet it's cheaper than making monthly payments on a new car. Mostly they cost me nothing but gas money.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's too nice to drive without ruining it.

Well, they don't build em like that anymore.

There's other things you could do with the money than fix an old car.

I saw one exactly like this yesterday (usually a rare car that you know there's only 4 or 5 left).

You'll never find tires for it (it has new wide whites on it as their looking)

I guess it's ok for the less informed to open the pie holes. Thye don't live like us so we're a social oddity to them. Let it go and be nice if you can, but some comments deserve return fire. I like to slam the money comments the most because the finacial aspects are none of their buisness. I like to say "What did you earn last year?" when asked what a car is worth, but I'm an asshole that way. You can pretty well pick out those who are sincere and might have future interest. It's funny how often negative money talk happens at a show full of old cars. They paid for a show ticket to scoff at the waste of money, right? Ah well, live and let live.

20. Add " How dare you" and it's Nor Cal

Poverty leaves an impression

21. Erwin

Erwin

When my '58 Courier sedan delivery was on the road, plenty of people assumed it's a hearse. Another guy with a bright yellow '55 chev SD said he also experienced this.

22. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I hate it when someone who doesn't have the slightest idea about my car tells me I ruined a good car by street rodding it. Idiots

23. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------
    Yeah...I can kinda' see how that could
    happen...since hearses so often come
    painted bright yellow. Yeah, right!!!:eek::D

Mart3406
    ====================

24. chubbie

chubbie

interesting, in openly friendly Iowa i don't get the comments some of you do. i do however get cold looks from people, and i read their faces "trailer trash" I laugh...( damn good chance i live better than them;) I USED TO encorage a ride in my old cars, don't any more. slam doors touch every thing ect. most are shocked at how well it rides, well what did you expect? when i get a comment, i do ask how much they paid for their ride, and how much will it be worth 2 years from now? mine should double in value in 10 years. they usually look at me like i'm being a dick.......so they see thru me:)

25. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

How about the ones who follow you home to see what else you have.
    I never go home, then loose them on a couple of corners.

26. Billet

Billet

The funniest one I over heard was two young guys looked in the window of my 46 Ford and wondered what the column shifter was for one of the guys said "It must be another turn signal or windshield wiper control."

27. blackedout

blackedout
    from illinois

Oh thats just crap. I'm 29 and own a 3 on the tree. Also it has a manual choke. I bought my first FI vehicle 2 years ago ( its an 88)!

28. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Got a big kick out of this one......so true with most of todays youth (there are exceptions) and the computer controlled cars. That's how our system has programed them, don't think for yourself we will do it for you.

29. outlaw256

outlaw256

i hate the hearse statement too.53 ranchwagon. i tell them it was special built for kids that died from having stupid parents.i have a few old cars that are running. i live out in the country in n. alabama. i have long hair a long grey beard, tattoos and earrings.when i go to the country store here, people look at me like im dirt poor, trailer trash.then ive had these same people stop by the shop(which is at my house )to see if we can make their 90s import run. they see me and ask me if that junk i was driving break down, no it didnt break down i own this house 2 shops in ground pool and 9 acres of woods.sorry we dont work on new shit. when we get done with it and it runs you still only have a 90s peice of shit .i even had a man who was on the side of the road, i stop to help him and he had the balls to ask me if i thought this car would make it back to town to get help. i asked him who is on the side of the road and left his ass standing.

30. That just ain't right :mad: