Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

You should consider moving.....well I guess that is not so easy, but man that really stinks. I would rather see the Willys every day than a BMW

2. lukey

lukey

The looks i get when i stick a gas nozzle under my license plate are hilarious! Also people get confused because my hood opens wrong...its a 58 ford! And the usual...door slamming, bad mpg (22 on ave) and its a 3 on the tree. Young kids cant figure out why im always fiddling with the shifter. Im only 30, am i an oddball or what?

-LUKEY-

3. speedyg948

speedyg948

im at a gas station, a guy in a suburban pulls into the next row of pumps . he starts eyeballing my truck and then asks is it stock? no i reply its hot rodded a bit. he replies this hot rodding stuff is it a hobby? Nope i said its more like drug addiction. he blinked his eyes a few times, got in his truck and pulled away

4. I get a lot of. It's not worth anything if its not stock.

5. eddie1

eddie1

I agree 100% with you.

6. lukey

lukey

Well said!

-LUKEY-

7. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

"For some reason everyone has or had a nova or has a friend ho has a nova."

Awwwww. I had a Nova :(

Anyways, people are just uninformed, this is true. I had a kid (Im 24, go figure i'd call him a kid :rolleyes:) at autozone tell ME that my 55's brake fittings were all one size, i needed 6 of um at my prop valve. and the 70's GM master cyl is junk...and their all a metric pitch... I mean common
    But Dont gotta be a dick about it, really. some people act like all the knowlegde they have was auto instilled into them at birth. Gotta learn stuff...
    And you dont want the people throwing votes to your congress men, thinking that "All those guy with old cars are assholes".

I agree about people thinking orignial chassis stuff is all junk, My friends 65 GTO is just a dream to drive in. I could do cross country.
    And the 55 is just swell, even with the four link, auto-locker & 30in tubed slicks

The best it "Big block are slow" :D

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I often wonder just what misconceptions were developing around me and my old 38, driving to and from work. Some of the looks you would get driving the 38 Coupe home from a day out on the range still in cam paint with combat equipment. Then like five off us step out of the car that way at a McDonald's or something.
    You would think we were invading the country!!

Doc.

9. nummie

nummie

Im 25, my daily driver (70 Chevy p/u) is carbureted, manual choke. I have only owned one FI vehicle (out of about 10), I dont anymore. I learned to drive in a 53 Stude Champion with a 3 on the tree. Not all of my generation are clueless morons... just most of them.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My car at the time...'46 Ford business coupe.
    Her car...some new pos...Chevy HHR?

"Hey...my car kinda looks like yours!"

Then she got reeeeally pissed off when I smiled and said, "Uh, no it doesn't."
    Turned on her heel and wouldn't even speak to me after that. LOL.

11. rld14

rld14

I've been getting a LOT of crap at work lately...

I am a used car manager at a dealership, so I have my pick of any used car on the lot to drive. I've stopped driving my demo, which is generally some late model OT luxury car, and have been driving my 54 Ford to and from work.

The General Manager, Owner, etc.. everyone thinks that I am absolutely out of my damned mind. I just laugh :D

12. bugfink

bugfink

Is that a rat rod? Those are neat.

13. toddc

toddc

"That's a nice old car. Did you buy it new?"

How fucking old do I look :confused::confused::confused:

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

When I was driving my 49 Ford F1 ... folks always marveled at the hood latch. Now when I have one of my 32's out ... folks are ALWAYS telling me they ( or someone they know ) has a Model A " just like mine " :eek: :eek:

15. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I'd like to know why so many uninformed wannabes think changing the frame for something totally different is a good idea.

16. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

People will walk up and start banging on your hood or fenders while they say "boy they don't make them like they use to"

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How about my neighbor's thirteen year old daughter yelling at me that I shouldn't have the right to drive such horrible world destroying vehicles because I'm selfishly killing all hopes for HER generation!!! Really!?!? I have to put up with that shit from a child? (I did talk to her parents a bit though...) Who in hell is teaching these little mutants this shit? I built a couple of cars this year; how many pounds of stuff did you recycle?

18. tony6461

tony6461
    from Idaho

When I was towing my 54 GMC home I stopped to fill up my daily driver and the guy at the pump next to me starts asking questions (I was already in a bad mood because all the pumps with diesel were taken by little cars and all the pumps without diesel were open).

Dumb-dumb asks "is that a '55?"
    Me "nope, '54."
    Dumb-dumb "no its not, '54s have a two piece windshield only '55s have a one piece."
    Me "'54 was the first year for one piece windshiled."
    Dumb-dumb "No it wasn't, somebody swapped the cab on that truck, you're going to sink a ton of money into that."
    I ask him "does it look like I mind spending a ton of money on my trucks" as I climb into my lifted and tuned '06 Dodge Megacab Cummins diesel.

Dumbass.

19. desotot

desotot

the more I take non hubcap heads for a ride, the more I prefer driving alone.

20. is that your truck?
    -yes
    how much you want for it
    -20 grand
    What??? its not fixed up! thats insane
    -well you got the cash or not?
    I was just asking
    -I can take a check
    I dont want it.I was just ask...(leaves,I follow)
    -well you gonna buy it or not?? well why you ask if you dont got the money??

21. 32Gnu

32Gnu

That's cool.. 34?..... no 32..
    Sweet, kinda rat rod.. Whatever u want to call it... You gonna put the fenders and hood on?.. If I get to it....

Or the best is..

That will be Awesome when you get it finished....

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Cui bono? Big auto? Someone's been paying for a major spin ...

23. sololobo

sololobo

I like getting thumbs up and nice comments. But even my plain stock Ranch Wagon is subject to people coming up and wanting the lowdown on what year, gas milage, can you get parts, and on and on. I try to park away from the crowd and that helps. Its kinda crazy. But still the best to drive. ~sololobo~

24. I've got both HAMB friendly and O/T cars that I love to drive and play with. One of my favorites is my wife's 1978 Chrysler New Yorker. A very nice silver four-door hardtop, it generates a certain amount of attention. The longest car Chrysler ever built, if you don't count the five-inch-long bumperettes on the '74 Imperials! Anyway, I was out in it one day, putting gas in its 27-gallon tank. A kid comes up to me and starts bitching at me about how my car is destroying the Earth! Some little junior high asshole starts lecturiing ME? I shooed the petulant little bastard off. He doesn't know shit about the environment, other than the propaganda he learns in school. Really pissed me off.

25. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

here is one that pissed me off. a neighbor of mine is 86 or 87 he was having some medical problems and let his driver's license expire. he had a very rusty beat up 73 chevy station wagon that he drove and used for trips to the mountains and beach fishing. when he went to the DMV office to get his license, a girl who was the examiner, told him she would not ride in the car with him to take the road test and he would not get his license unitl he came back with a newer car. what kind of a B**** is that. he just drove without license until his eyesight went bad and he stopped driving.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, I know where it comes from, I just don't want to start a political rant here...

I feel your pain! What ever happened to kids should be seen and not heard?! As I said at the end of my post; I built a couple of cars this year, how much did you recycle?

27. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

The carbon footprint arguement is absolute garbage. Next time that comes up, ask them what they think has a smaller carbon footprint. Your workshop OR:

This:

[​IMG]

PLUS This:

[​IMG]

Which occurs here:

[​IMG]

Plus the carbon footprint of being shipped on one of these:

[​IMG]

and then on one of these:

[​IMG]

Before finally arriving somewhere like this:

[​IMG]

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My point exactly! As far as I'm concerned, my '48 used up it's "creation waste" or "pollution points" or what ever those folks call it this week, long ,long, long ago. Every day I drive it is points to the positive for it.

29. 117harv

117harv

No political BS guys, i like reading the posts, and want to keep this thread open...Thank You:)

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Right you are Harv... I'm doing exactly what I tried not to do. Sorry.