Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Minnesota mother load auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jul 20, 2019.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I agree with old wolf, I do not attend the auctions with a surcharge.I always have a maximum bid in my head before I start,never go above that. Just my opinion.

Old wolf likes this.
  2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

So true. Plus, storing junk is expensive.

Old wolf likes this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Here is what I call criminal.Scroll down and read the conditions of the sale. Didn't even check to see if there is a buyers fee. A buyer SHOULD be able to transfer a title themselves on a vehicle but not with this online auction company. Just add up the fees including figuring the sales tax to see what this truck will actually cost.
    https://www.do-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?dobid108/category/TRUCKS
    I always check the terms before bidding and this is one company I avoid.

Old wolf likes this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I talked to people who attended from as far away as Louisiana and New Jersey. A buyer out of Kansas was buying most of the bare frame/incomplete cars. Serious money was there as shown by selling prices. As this was a auction everything was sold and if a buyer was a scrapper and it does get turned in for weight then the the question shouldn't be why did it get scrapped,the question should be why wasn't the scrapper outbid. I have been to many auctions where the scrapman got many of the the old cars while "car guys" stood around complaining the scrapman got the cars. They either din'nt bid or stopped well below scrap value. I'll admit to not outbidding on cars myself so I'm guilty

Stogy likes this.
  5. Here's the truck that sold for $325. I guess ... plus $32.50 ? So sold for 357 and a half bucks ?

Looks like a deal, to me. Firewall here is worth that.

Anyone else, value a bull nose commercial grille, a cowl, truck dash, clean carb' flattie junk, wheel, frame/chassis, and misc' parts thereafter ?

What does it part out at ? Asking for a friend ...

Screenshot_20190721-151911_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190721-151035_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190721-151003_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190721-150923_Chrome.jpg

48fordnut, Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Too bad it isn,t a 1932 truck

F&J likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

It is not a 32. I type too slow.. Looks 34?

8. Again, what are the sum of parts worth ?? That's my question. Or really, the point.

Every auction has a price. Plus a plus. Bid to win, on your budget. Don't count yourself out on buyer premiums. It is what it is.

Some deals to be had everywhere, plus some screwings. An auction format like this, has something for everyone, in one place. Pretty cool. Like to be there ...

Harder to find things like that in Texas. "North to Alaska" ... is the song to sing, I guess. Three fiddy !

Stogy likes this.
  9. Ok first thing I do not go to any auction expecting to pay full retail or what something is( worth?). I go to buy a bargain . get something of value for as little as possible. The subject truck would not bring 357.50 across the scales for scrap. and the market for the so called Good? parts is diminishing. then it cost time & money to transport it from the sale to where you are going to store it. Unless theres something you actually need and its there. You would be better off putting a wanted add in the HAMB classifieds.

10. Like these right ?

Screenshot_20190721-164123_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190721-164210_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190721-164324_Chrome.jpg

I think you're kind of missing my point. I like the auction posts. Not really a fan of the critiques of auction business. That's the way they go.

No arguement here. I just figured for 350, I'd find some trade and sell stuff, for me.

Really, I just glanced at the title, thought of the firewall at Pate ... and thought "wow" to myself. Regardless, not a 32, but still 357 bucks for a pile to sort thru.

11. F&J

F&J

it's an 33/34 "outee" firewall. 32 is flat on upper half.

The 33/34 dash goes for a bit less than 32 truck...maybe 100/120. Firewall not too high demand except on a hacked hotrod cab, so maybe 100, but the rad shell/grille looks way better than up here in rust belt, so that would bring fast 200 hundred up here. Ign lock a few bucks, if the chassis frame is ok, that would sell fast. Don't know why it is wide 5 on the rear drums, but I think the chassis is 33/34 pickup, rather than 1.5 ton that most farm cutdowns are, so it should have a 33/36 axle beam. Cowl vent would sell fast, headlights look sealed beam type, they are worth saving if so.

Kind of like picking at a Thanksgiving turkey...worth the effort

lots of parts for the right local guy, if he did not have to pay transport.

12. THANKS FRANK. You rule. That's what I'm talking about. :) I like Thanksgiving picking. Cowl patches, odds and ends, wishbones.

13. That '34 was a 1/2 ton panel truck in it's previous life. Thought that was a pretty fair price for a lot of good parts. The grille did have some rust in the bottom; but was decent. The rear was a '34; didn't notice the wide 5's 'til now. Frame (same as car) had some rust in the kick; but looked repairable. The rear bumper irons were there, spreader bar was good. '34 front end and bones looked good.
    Still can't figure out how people fit in those Crosleys or the Bantam for that matter.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Auctions are good if you know what you’re looking at. The complete or mostly complete vehicles would be much better for someone like me who can’t tell one model a fender from another. All those loose parts stacked up I wouldn’t know what I was looking at especially on the pre war stuff.
    But like Old Wolf was saying, a lot of auctions have their shill bidders running the prices up. I went to one, a bank repo auction, this one guy bid on everything, but didn’t get anything. I bid on one or two cars, and this guy was the only one bidding besides me, so I backed off. Later that day they had a second auction for those that supposedly didn’t sell in the morning auction. Same cars, same guy bidding them up. I left again. I wasn’t playing their game even though some folks did and never caught on, they just thought they were getting good deals.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^ To remedy this, I throw out bids quickly and then stop without hesitation. You can almost always tell when someone is about to quit.

egads and kidcampbell71 like this.