Register now to get rid of these ads!

Minnesota Back to the 50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Pinewood

Pinewood

You guys are missing Matt and my point. We're not upset about the cost of hot dogs or anything for that matter. It's that the HAMB is a traditional hot rod and custom message board... Btt50's is not a traditional car show. It's organized by a street rod organization, which I can appreciate. Matt and I are passionate about traditional hot rods which is what this message board was founded on. If you're into all types of transportation/makes and models of cars you should keep your conversation limited to the context of traditional hot rods on this message board.

Sorry, not trying to start a boxing match here but it's just frustrating to see guys get so excited over btt50's. I just think it's overrated even if you like big huge events with lots of everything...

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Wouldn't miss it. Chance to meet up with HAMBers who drive in from out of state.

3. The last time we were there as a vendor was around 96,just before they started all the crap with taxes. We are returning this year with the whole road show and will be outside on the corner of Randall ave and Underwood st. LOOK US UP!!

Attached Files:

4. Bummer, same weekend as the Road Rocket Rumble. Maybe next year.

5. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I don't think I am missing your point at all and perhaps if we were speaking to each other instead of typing to each other it might be a clearer conversation. What we probably should do is quit discussing the Messaround on a BTT50's post. I've enjoyed the Messaround in years past and probably will again if I haven't fried my ass already with The Lucky Bastards.

6. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I guess these guys who think your ripping "Traditional" cars haven't seen most of your past rides. They've ALL had whitewalls or 5 spokes and been quite traditional. Just because you FINALLY joined the HAMB, doesn't mean you just got into traditional cars.
    I've been to every BTT50's since they moved it to the fairgrounds in the 70's. I think it's become WAY to big, but being an OPEN MINDED car guy, I enjoy looking at almost ALL the cars there, rather than bitching that they don't have enough of a specific kind of car. One of the things I always enjoyed about 50's is the local old rods that would seem to only come out for 50's. Now that it's gotten so big, many of those cars have gone back into hiding.
    I've always thought about going down to the messaround, but was always afraid of being snubbed because my car has a few "streetrod" elements along with the traditional stuff. I guess that what happens when you spend 26 years driving and working on the same car. You can end up with something that may cross a few trends.
    Sorry to go off on a tangent on this thread, but I torques me how Traditional guys can be as snobby about their view as streetrodders are about theirs!

7. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Way to go Bob. The tax grab maid it a pain in the a$$ for many vendors. Glad you're back.

8. Pinewood

Pinewood

You're right, it's easy to be mis-understood and/or taken out of context when trying to type out a serious point of view. I agree that we shouldn't try to hijack this thread with talk about the Messaround but the question was posed... "What's more important than Btt50's" I think what Matt was trying to say is in the context of a traditional hot rod message board - it is the Messaround. That's all we're saying. Don't worry, you haven't fried your ass with us but we don't want the stigma that our show is full of rat rods.

40 & 61 Fords- I think guys who are really passionate about traditional hot rods just tend to defend them more because that's what we really like. Just like there's no rule from the car gods that you have to like only traditional hot rods, there's no rule that you need to like everything else either. I just think that on a message board that's dedicated to them you've got to expect some kick back when there's talk about anything else. Come on down to the Messaround even if you don't think your car can make it in. We're not out to make a spectical of cars that don't get in rather all of the really cool, nicely built traditional stuff that is in the area. We're trying to get all of those old cars back out of the garages that were once at btt50's like you mentioned.

9. It is a bummer when the spirit of a post gets misunderstood. I just started this because I get excited about BTT 50's Like a lot of other people do (obviously). I'm not saying it's the best. I've been going for over 23 years. I didn't have a car I could enter until 2005. That was a huge thing.
    There's a lot of other smaller shows that are just as much fun or even more. Hastings is a blast, The Delano show is great. Nickle Dickle days, They all have something special. I've never met a car showI didn't like...well maybe an all donk show or the too many ricer show.
    I'm not for one second putting down ANYONE'S love or passion for what ever they like. Like I said, "I could care less what someone drives". When I was in the local Mustang/Shelby Club some of those guys are the biggest dicks if you don't have the "right" car or it's not stock and all that bull shit. That's why I got out of that club. Same thing at the LOL Muscle car show. Some of the most arrogant pricks I've ever met. I just want to enjoy the cars and friends. Stow the ego at the gate.
    When I showed my restored GT 350H at the 2004 World of Wheels I was In the MSRA display. I had joined them. All the Shelby guys where my buddy then. "Oh why don't you come back". Fuck them. They about crapped when I told em I was selling the Mustang to buy a rod. I hate all that dogmatic rigidness. I can appricate a 100% restored car but I like the freedom of expression of the whole rod & custom universe.
    I'm an artist and lover at heart. Jeff Norwell and Tucks art is what guided me here.
    There's so much knowlage artistic, creative, mechanical talent here it's staggering.
    I think we all just want to enjoy it.
    Peace love and Rods
    Mark

10. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Enough said......................no hurt feelings here. See ya all at Fifties and The Messaround. Adios Amigos

11. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I go and don't give a shit if it's traditional, street rod, or.... It a great place, nice, clean and tree covered. Great people, good swap...need I say more????

12. i was there guy with hat above the rear view mirror

13. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I have been going for 14 years and I think it is one of the best shows around. I have a 50 Nash statesman.

14. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Back to the 50's and the Messaround are two entirely different types of shows. The Messaround is the premiere Traditional show hands down in town, but BTTF has something for everyone, street rods, hotrods, stockers, shock rods, you name it, it's there. Plus all the vendors. Friday is the best day for me, not as many spectators but almost all the cars......Rich

15. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Many great comments! There is something for everyone. I've been going since 87. Sunday morning is still my favorite!

16. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I hate BTT50's on saturday afternoon. But friday morning is the best time to go i think.

Friday Night on Snelling is always fun to watch. Sometimes saturday too.

Friday morning i do all my walking, hit all the vendors, see whats up. then chill in the campground if im camping saturday afternoon when the people are just crazy.

Evenings are great for crusing in the T.

17. worthop

worthop

I'll be there. It'll be my second time, I was there 2 years ago...and was pretty amazed. There's nothing like that show that can compare in number of cars, vendors, the fair grounds are great, you can drive around the show.......I'm hoping to drive out this time, depending on how much time I can get off of work......Oh, and the MANY foods on a stick that are available!?!?!?

18. Ya gotta come to the actual State Fair to REALLY get the full impact of food on a stick.:eek:;).

19. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Here is this years embossed tin sign.
    [​IMG]

20. The sign is really cool. The car is even HAMBifyed. Have done those before?

21. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I was at the first 31 BTTF's. Haven't been for the last few years. it's a great show but, it's gotten too big for me. I would rather wait to go to the goodguy's meet in Des Moines.

Ron
    MSRA #298

22. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

23. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Looks like it's time for me to start planning for next year.

Lee

24. it's comin up in less than a month,,,
    i definately WON'T be there this year,,,
    have fun kids,,,,

xoxox
    miss hootch

25. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Wow Seesko!
    Less than 4 months and your a Senior Member with over 1,000 posts?
    You must spend WAY to much time on here! :)
    That must have set a new record.

26. 1000!! No shit. Hadn't even noticed. Not trying to set any records.:rolleyes: I do Drafting on the kompooper CAD. I'm on here all day. I pop back and forth between work and the HAMB. I've been on a lot of other forums so I'm pretty forum fluent. ;)
    I hope there isn't some rule about too many posts too fast:p. I don't want the post count Nazi's to get me:eek:. It sure seems to bug some folks. What about people who've been on here for 5 years and are still FNG or Grenade Inspectors? So what?:)
    I just like hanging out here and chatting. I guess I like writing too.
    There's a lot to take in. :) Is that such a bad thing?
    :cool:

27. If that's on the shirts, too, I'm definitely going to have to get one. Haven't had a BTTF's shirt in years (usually too much screen printing on the front).

28. I cook in those things. Cool art work but too hot.

29. scoop

scoop

Anybody want to set up a meet & greet? When and where,I'll be there.