Register now to get rid of these ads!

Minivan rear leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MO_JUNK, May 6, 2013.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Anyone used minivan rear leaf springs as a suspension upgrade? I thought this had been discussed before but a search didn't turn up anything. I'm looking at using Mopar rear leaf springs, mounts and shackles as an upgrade on my 57 pickup(in avatar). Has anyone done this? I know the long wheelbase minivans (town and country)have longer springs. My bushings are worn and the springs are over 50 years old. Makes sense to try to get some newer springs with nylon or rubber bushings. I'm thinking of locating the springs under the rails and getting rid of the original hangers as well? The Mopar minivans have front and rear perches that bolt in-so could be adapted/reused easily. Comments? Thanks in advance for your anticipated help. Sam

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not have the local spring shop install new springs? $200 - $250

3. rickl

rickl

When I was looking to replace the leaf springs in my truck, I wanted something similar in length (eye to eye) and a more common width like 2.5". The old International springs were narrow (1.75", eyelets worn, and very stiff).

I needed something close to 49". I found a 90 Ram Charger on CL. The front leafs are 49" and 2.5" wide. I used new hangers, bushings, and shackles.

If the minivan parts are close to the length and width you need, they might work.

4. The Ramcharger works well. I learned this one from Choprods.

5. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Take a look at the rear leaf spring setup on an s-10 blazer. I picked up a set recently, and have not installed, but they are very close to the correct length for my 55 Chevy PU, an little wider and less arch. Perches and shackles will have to be changed/fabricated of course. I'll let you know how it turns out...

6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Here are the stock specs:

[​IMG]

7. 1pickup

1pickup

It's been done. My bro put a pair from a MoPar minivan of some sort in a '39 Chevy 2 door. Seemed to work well, but the owner has never completed the project, so can't give you any feedback on the ride, etc.

8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I used S-10 springs on a '49 Chevy pickup. Made my own hangers so that the factory pads of my Ford 8" rear wouldn't have to be moved.

Blue

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got two Mopar mini vans an 87 Dodge Mini ram panel van that is a short wheelbase with shorter springs and a 91 Grand Caravan all wheel drive that has springs that are about a foot longer. Sliding around under the back of the both of them the thing that really makes the springs interesting to us is that hangers an all unbolt from the van and can be transferred and bolted on a truck fairly easily. Cost for a pair with hangers should be under 50 bucks at most wrecking yards.

And why the hell is it that every time a guys asks about a low buck solution that should be easy to accomplish do certain people throw out solutions that cost several hundred dollars or even thousands of dollars on a 100 dollar question? True it would be nice to run out and buy a new pair of custom made springs but that doesn't fit in everyone's build budget so why the hell even suggest it when he wasn't asking who made new springs?

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

11. If I'm reading that chart correctly ...
    Those springs are 52x2.5 and a 4-1 configuration.

Same size springs as a '87 and earlier Chevy c10 2wd pick up.
    The light duty Chevy is 3-1 and rated at 1200 ish lbs. 104.00 each plus shipping.

12. Well ill tell ya one thing ,,,
    There is NEVER EVER just 1 change. Ever
    So maybe it's cheaper and easier to change the springs in 2-3 hrs than it is to rework a bunch of stuff. I know this because with 1/2 the stuff I do I can't seem to leave it alone and change it. It always takes longer than swapping stuff on the other 1/2 of the stuff I do.

I love changing stuff but it has never been easier or cheaper.

"Stock is always your best option. If you can't leave it stock you better be good at figuring things out and making parts " My Dad.

13. Rob68

Rob68

14. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

All,thanks for the replies and the spring specs. So far, all of the Mopar minivans I've looked at have had mono leafs. I don't know if that might be a problem under power. I'll take a look at the s-10 and 70's c-10 set ups. Making spring and shock mounts is not a problem. I am currently running three original leafs with coil-overs in place of the regular shocks. It rides good but the used coil-overs are starting to leak and they are at too much of an angle. I just want to clean things up a bit back there. I'll provide updates as I progress. Thanks for your responses and links/leads. Sam

15. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Assuming yours is a 1/2 ton the key dimensions are;

52" 26F26R 2 inch wide
    175 Spring Rate for 2.5 inches
    237 Spring rate to 1100 pounds

(5.75 inches to load rating 6.25 inches arch)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1350 S10 springs are around 280 spring rate.

[​IMG]

I'll look around some more but just off initial appearances you may be better off looking for the best deal on replacement springs. They are avaialable at reasonable prices.

If I run across any likely candidates for salvage yard pair I'll let you know.

Chrysler MiniVan don't appear to be very good candidates.

1984 - 1995 Dodge Grand Caravan, Plymouth Grand Voyager without all wheel drive rear leaf spring, 4 leaf, 1450 lbs capacity
    Our Price: $119.99

Spring Capacity = 1430
    # Leaves = 4(3/1)
    Measures (A/B) = 26-5/8 x 29-5/8
    Width = 2-1/2"
    Includes Front Eye Bushing
    Rear Eye and Frame uses bushing HB889
    Sold Per Side - Order Quantity 2 for a pair

1984 - 1995 Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager without all wheel drive rear leaf spring, 5 leaf, 1430 lbs capacity
    Our Price: $119.99

Spring Capacity = 1430
    # Leaves = 5(4/1)
    Measures (A/B) = 24-1/2 x 27-1/2
    Width = 2-1/2"

1991 - 1995 Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager with all wheel drive rear leaf spring, 5 leaf, 1050 lbs capacity
    Our Price: $109.99

Spring Capacity = 1050
    # Leaves = 5
    Measures (A/B) = 24-1/2 x 27-3/4
    Width = 2-1/2"

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I used Dodge Caravan rear springs (multi-leaf) under my '48 Chevy pickup. The ride was fantastic, but it needed traction bars due to serious spring wrap.