Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Milling a Model a head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by easyrider47, Mar 3, 2016.

1. easyrider47

easyrider47

My son and I are working on a Model A motor. I have a hi comp head on the motor in my roadster with mains and inserts and I don't want to spend the bucks on another head right now so I am wondering how much I can mill my stock head to up the compression a little. This motor has babbits, B cam, lightened flywheel and a four into one header with a downdraft intake and a 94 carb. Thanks!

2. trailerpark

trailerpark

I agree with Hitchhiker. I thought about doing the same thing but everything I read on it said its not worth doing.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've cut them 0.090 but it requires a washer under the distributor.

4. easyrider47

easyrider47

Well, I want to resurface it anyway so I just wondered how far I could mill it. My son can do it, so no cost involved.

5. I vote for milling it enough to make it flat and then check for piston clearance. There are two things to worry about, piston clearance and the fact that although the head is thick the water jackets are not, see attached photo.

Charlie Stephens

Attached Files:

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Charlie...For the few that will say, "Just nickel weld the cracks and mill it!"
    Do offer that the head cracked already, and thinning out a 'trouble spot' following an 'iffy fix' will hasten the demise of this already marginal member.
    (been there and not anxious to return!)