Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller racer prototype pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Feb 19, 2006.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Sorry the pics aren't better, but they'll have to do. The story is this Indian V-twin powered job was the prototype for the later Miller front drive racers. The car was nicely done, and for a very small person.

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

cool car but I think the "story" is a little flawed

3. ratfink666

ratfink666
    from new jersey

that looks very nice.......... i like it alot:cool:

4. FeO2

FeO2

Very cool car but I think someone is bullshitting you about any Miller association......I love the old midgets though & appreciate you posting anything on them..... Charlie

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

It looks like a neat little racer, but the Miller connection does not really jump out at me. Is there any more to the story other than the it served as a prototype? E. L. Cord is listening-Jim

6. 27Oakland

27Oakland

I have a magazine called earlyriders published by easyriders in 1978 that has a water cooled knuckle head with a conversion by a company called Drake. They were used in midgets in the late 30's and 40's. They sat crosswise in the frame and used an in/out box made from model a parts that bolted to the engine sproket boss. So it drove directly off the crank. If you can find a copy of this mag check it out it's very cool. Anybody out there have any more info on cycle powered midgets?

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cute car. Miller connection is Bull Shit, that the seller obviously made up. I'll be back with some info and photos from my files.

8. gasit

gasit
    from Dago

Cool Go- Car ! How is the North/south mounted V-twin connected to the East-West Diff ?

9. I'm sure Leo Goossen did'nt need to copy anyone when he designed the front drive setups for Miller.In fact it was one of the few designs that Miller patented.Also front drive was nothing new,J.Walter Christie took out patents on front wheel drive designs in 1904.He built 7 race cars from these designs. I don't know all this stuff off the top of my head,it's in The Golden Age of the American Racing Car by Griffith Borgeson.Great book if you're interested in Boardtrack era race cars. The Indian powered TQ midget is cool,the F head engine is old enough to hold up that end of the story. :p

Doc

10. racer5c

racer5c

The Golden Age of the American Racing Car by Griffith Borgeson.

One of my most prized possesions!!!!!!!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here are two other Front Wheel Drive midgets from 1933, I kind of like that one with the four cylinder Indian motor. There were plans out there to help you construct these cars, most used Model T Ford differentials. I'd like to know who made the De Dion tubes.

Attached Files:

12. racer5c

racer5c

That is DALE DRAKE before he was one of the owners along with LOUIE MEYER of MEYER DRAKE after they purchased OFFENHAUSER. I do Believe that Bill Vukovich sr. had most of his midget success with a DRAKE engine

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Doc, two houres ago I came across these photos of the Christie racer in the July 9, 1906 issue of Scientific American. The car did 102 on the beach at Atlantic City, New Jersey. That is the radiator on the side of the cowl, car has an overhead valve V-4 and is front wheel drive.

Attached Files:

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Who cares about the story, that thing is totally fuckin cool. Check the little ford style wires. Were is that thing and were and how did he find it?

15. 37Kidd Those are great pics, any pics of boardtrack racing are kind of rare.
    I love any of this boardtrack stuff, bikes and cars.True hotrodding at its highest level.Wish I could afford Dick Wallens book,sounds like that is the bible of this era of racing. Not to hijack this post, but if anyone has some more pics like this to post I'm sure many of us would like to see them.

Doc

16. racer5c

racer5c

I have wallens Board trac book and it is awesome, a little cheaper book you might be interested in and could find on ebay is by Crocky Wright and it is on the history of Midget racing at the Nutley Veledrome, incredible pictures, stats for every race, listings of every driver who ever ran there

17. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I'm merely repeating what I was told, as you could tell. I don't know who bought it. It was front drive. A cool little car, no doubt. Wish I had more info, all I know is that it sold this last Sept. at the Davenport, Iowa motorcycle swap meet. The quality of work was mostly really nice. I also am aware that lots of folks make up tall tales (bald-faced lies) about stuff to sell it for more money. I don't have a personal clue about this one, and haven't been a student of old race cars, so am not qualified to pass judgement on the car. I am glad I took some pics, though. I think a friend of mine has more and better pics of it.

18. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I don't recall. I can find out, I think. Isn't it great to get older and forgetful?:rolleyes:

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bullshit on the Miller conection.

what coast was this thing pulled off of?

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

When I read this post originally it got me thinking that front drive cycle cars had come along sometime before the Miller(?) racer prototype. Thought I would post a couple of photos of some hopped up cycle cars as well as a front drive job. All of these are from the teens, 1916 I believe-could look up the dates if anyone wanted me to. Rather than get fancy with all of the cropping thought I would throw them at you in a more raw form. Jim

Attached Files:

21. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Upon thinking about the car, i think that there is a picture of it in "the Bobby, the Babe, and Me: the Herk Edwards Story"