Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Miller Race Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grumpys Hot Rods, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

Although this thread has a bit of dust on it I thought you guys would like to hear it come to life. Just received this video from Bill today which helped make my day (also Dale forwarded me a copy as well). Sounds pretty healthy to me. Imagine going to the local board track and hear a dozen of these cars going at it. Hope the you tube video works. Pretty cool stuff-Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbvq8fT7oyU

2. LowFat48

LowFat48

fantastic !!! thanks for posting that .

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Jim! Makes you wonder what a Packard INDY car engine would sould like.:)

4. I could kiss Bill Castle!

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

God I love these old cars.
    Hope to see Mr Castle et all at the 2010 Miller Meet, which will be my first.
    Also had the priviledge of visiting AutoHammerArt recently on my first trip to Gasoline Alley.

My Miller, created by Mac Millers Garage in Indy is not a recreation or restoration but a 'Tribute Car' (all contemporary parts to create an image of the original) to the 1927 Miller 91 rd "Boyle Valve Special.

Had it's first Speedway outing at Texas World Speedway's 22 degree banking a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Awesum car for sure.........I got the pleasure of syncing the distributor on our sync machine and i believe Bill just ( last few weeks) fired the engine up.
    That should bring a tear to your eye after all the work , the engine sounded great.
    I would love to hear it run.

7. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Long live the gray beards love this old stuff

8. sr

sr
    from Monterey

This is awesome thanks for firing the thread up again. Love the automotive jewelry.

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm in love!!! Damn, that thing is beautiful.

10. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

That is beautiful.

11. Flathead26T

Flathead26T

that is a very beautiful car. i love the brakes on it

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

You mention the brakes and I agree. When Bill had one of the brakes partially apart I studied them and every piece was a work of art. The whole car is like that and Bill did not take any shortcuts. He has boxes full of his wooden mockups and patterns for the molds. As I have said before Harry Miller would be inspired by Bill's work.-Jim

13. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Any updates-photos of the car today?
    Thanks

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Carl the you tube video was taken the other day so it is not yet completed. I am sure Bill wants to get it running right and work on a few of the bugs before putting the shiny stuff on it. That engine has not run that I now of since the 20s so Bill had to work a bit of magic to get it running, which takes time. Pretty amazing when you think Bill is still playing with these racecars after all these years (he was a crew chief at Indy in the 40s). I can only hope I have his energy and drive when I am an octogenerian. Jim

15. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Grazzi.
    Look forward to updates.

16. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Stumbled accross this thread recently. absolutely beautiful!
    Have been to the last three Miller at the mile meets and hadn't seen this car. Sure look forward to seeing it this comming year!
    ZOOOM

17. Tank

Tank

That car is amazing! Have always been fascinated by early Indy cars, they are absolute works of art.

18. RAY With

RAY With

Absolutely incredible workman ship. Pure art in every detail.

19. Posted some of these in the other thead about the Durant "Baby Chevrolet" Miller, but the car was finished- here are some pics of the recreation, both in-process and done:

Attached Files:

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Incredible job. Just love these old racers, they really are works of art. I am sure Dees and Borgeson would have been impressed as well. Not sure if I am supposed to post this here but I have an unopened first edition of the Miller Dynasty by Dees for sale.

21. das858

das858

What a work of art, and the engine sounds as good as any engine I've ever heard.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting the new photos of the finished car and bringing up the thread again. I just spent the past few minutes saving all of the photo to my laptop to study in detail later.