Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller Econotig Welders....any Info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abonecoupe31, Oct 24, 2006.

1. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I'm wondering if any of the HAMBer's have any experience/opinions on the Miller Econotig Welder.

I picked up the Miller catalog at the NSRA Nats North in Kazoo this past fall and have been going thru it every night....The Econotig seems to be the low end model that they produce....150 amps....and usable on 110v as well as 220v....

I'm not really familiar with this particular model, (I've used their big Industrial models over the past 30 years in the Tool and Diemaking trade)....Right now I'm thinking of buying a TIG machine to use in the restoration of gas tanks for a buddy of mine who restores British motorcycles. He's having problems with the guy who does his work now...(he's too slow in delivery, too far away and getting kind of greedy on his pricing as well.)

so I'll be using it on sheet metal.... .060" and less....

or perhaps information on other suitable TIG welders that might work out for me on TIG welding on sheet metal...

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've had one for about 5 or so years now
    i started out building bicycle frames so a tig was the first on my list of welders.
    bought it and learned how to use it and still use it

now that i am doing some heavier and also some thinner stuff i think it would be better to have one with a liquid cooled torch and one that can be adjusted lower on the amperage.
    the one i have seems to not be terribly stable on VERY thin metals.
    im not talking about .035 sheet metal. im talking about razor blade thin
    but its possible to weld that thin you just have to watch how your arc is going and not let it burn holes
    and with thicker stuff you need to bevel it down and make multiple passes...just have to stop and let it cool down after a while

i say go for it...its been a great welder for me
    Zach

3. the-rodster

the-rodster

It's the only welder that I have, I built my RPU entirely with it. For what you are doing, thin sheet, it should be perfect.

It need a little more power for the heavy stuff, but I love it.

Rich

4. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

I had a Hobart tigmate which is a econotig in Hobart clothing..It was my first tig welder which was perfect to learn on. I got it with a finger control "which i didn't like" and ended on going the next day to buy a foot control.For hobby and light fab work it is great..

5. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

I don't know much about the econo tig. I have a thermal arc 185 and can tell you it's a kick ass machine. Has ac/dc. High frequency start and it is an inverter machine. Only weighs like 41lbs. Might be worth a look

6. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I got on the phone today and called the local Miller Dealer..the Econotig it turns out is strictly 220v..It's Miller's most affordable TIG welder at a price of $1417.63 plus tax....it weighs 140....#

The next model up is called the Maxstar 150....the top model is called the STH which has a high frequency..and it's 110v as well as 220v...and the price is a little higher at $1538.33 Weight here is a lot lighter, at 13.7#. This will make it very portable.

Like you mentioned, a fingertip copntrol is part of the program. I've used, for the most part foot controls, but actually learned how to TIG weld when I was a youngster 33 years ago with a unit with a fingertip control. Nice that it can be set up either way. I can remember a lot of jobs where a fingertip control would have been a lot easier to use....

Both units have a max output of 150 amps, which should be plenty for what I'll be trying to weld.