Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller/Cliff Durant's Baby Chevrolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimdillon, Jun 29, 2006.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

I know there are a few guys on here who are pretty sharp on some of the early racecars. Has anyone run across anything worth reading on the Baby Chevrolet built by Miller for the 183 formula in 1920. I have read Borgeson and Dees works but both of those sources are a bit incomplete on this topic. Anyone track any of its history both on and off the track?-Jim

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Jim I have had a bit of a look through what books I have on ealry US racing. Came up with only a few things, probably the stuff you have already read.
    However I do have a book by Dick Wallan called Board Track Guts, Gold and Glory. I got this book in '94 so I can't remember to much of the specifics of what I read back then.
    But apart from telling you about all the board tracks in the US, it also tells about the races and many of the cars that raced on these tracks. It might be worth a look.
    The book printed by Kutztown Publishing Co and published by Dick wallan and it's library of congress catalog number is 90-090464
    The book is still available from www.racingclassics.com . It is not a cheap book, but I remember it as a great read and has around 850 photographs and illustrations.
    hope this helps Geoff aka whodaky

3. racer5c

racer5c

It's a must own book!!!

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

That is a great book, every once in awile I pull it out and go thru it. I am glad someone wrote a decent book on the boards. In regards to the Baby Chev Dees has a photo in the Miller Dynasty of the engine he believed that belonged in the Baby Chev, but this is the same engine that was in the LA Times in 1916, a 289 cubic inch most likely iron engine. Trying to figure out some stuff on that car and kind of coming up dry. Still hoping someone has some leads that are worth following. Thanks-Jim

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Jim, This is the Ira Vail 183 MILLER in front of the garage at Tators Dodge, in South Salem New York. The dealership is still going strong only 5 miles from my house, the trail of this MILLER is cold, I've been looking for over 25 years.:)

Attached Files:

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Sorry late on my response-was out of town. Which 183 was this? Ira Vail's first 183 had exhaust (two pipes together-unique) exiting the left side did it not? One of the detachable head 183s, I believe. Was this a second version and what is the brief story on this car?-Jim

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just looked at the Dees book and the Vail 183 on page 77 is not this one, unless it was changed drasticly. Exhaust is on the right side and the rear spring mounts are different. At the rate Vail swaped and wheeled & dealed cars it is hard to tell what is what. Jim check your PM, I have another unrelated Miller question. :D

8. ShellEShell

ShellEShell
    from Michigan

Hello All;

I'm new to this site. I found it while researching Cliff Durant. He's my great uncle and I've been researching his life for over 5 years now. IF anyone has any information they'd like to share PLEASE contact me.

Regarding Cliff's Baby Chevrolet, Mr. Bill Castle is restoring it. He would know more about it than anyone I know. He's a great guy! This is his email: [email protected]

9. I know this is an older thread, but just found these pics... needless to say, it's done (added a pic or two of in-process)!

Attached Files: