Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mill thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, Aug 8, 2021.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Lots of stuff about the joys of having and using a lathe lately, how about mills? Very handy tool, especially if one also has a lathe. I went to a sale yesterday, the gent has quite a shop set up in his two-car garage and was selling some extra stuff. Picked up a nice Kurt mill vise (he had 4 for sale!) for $150 to replace my Japanese copy, a couple nice HD live centers, and a precision MT3 taper drill chuck. Any interesting mil projects going on, or new tooling or gadgets found? Mine is a 1951 Bridgeport that is in decent shape, with an Enco power feed

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a J-Head Bridgeport, with a Kurt vice, and a Nichols horizontal, that comes in handy at times. IMG_7399.JPG

Deuces, mgtstumpy, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am all about a vertical mill. For anyone looking, if you can get one with at-least an X power feed, and a decent digital read out (DRO). Adding those later can get spendy.

A lot of old-school guys like to read the dials and do the math. A modern DRO will do that for you, and does not make mistakes, like I do.

4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

The lab I worked at before I retired has a Wilton knee mill, a decent copy of a Bridgeport for the money. We bought it to make widgets and gizmos for our experimental setups in the emissions lab. It's 50 miles away, and I miss being able to make stuff for the Whatever project on it. Also had 2 lathes, a Wilton 13 inch late 90s bought same purpose, and a vintage WW2 ex navy South Bend. Sorry to say its probably a Chinese something or other now. We had to move it, but unfortunately we dropped it on its side. It busted up kind of bad. By the end of the day it was just a pile of scrap in a scrapyard in the Port of Albany. That was 4 years ago.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a mill and a lathe for my garage. Maybe some day...

Deuces, loudbang and dirty old man like this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a small and rare #3 Rockford Hand Miller that has a normal vertical head, but also has a horizontal slotting head. Even has a mechanical power feed, a driveshaft down the side from the rear belt drive. It has a drive with a motor which is bad, need to get that little critter going
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/rockfordmillers/

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Ever notice that everything had style back then? My wife has a treadle Singer sewing machine and even that has style. What happened to us?

cfmvw, Deuces, Mr. Clean and 3 others like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slotting heads are pretty cool, but I cannot use mine. I have a DoAll Bridgeport copy, and my genuine Bridgeport slotting head does not fit on it. It is supposed to go on the eyelet on the backside, opposite the regular head. For some reason, the vertical measurement on my mill is slightly too big.

I'd sell it off, but the market for these things is pretty small.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I picked up a gennie Bridgeport boring bar kit, in it's original box, neat old sh#^. There were quite a few old-school retired Mare Island machinists out in my hood, so garage/ estate sales are treasure hunts. I picked up a triple Kennedy box/rollaway from one, still has decals all over them from the different nuke subs he worked on- and of course the boxes were full. One had made custom gun barrels in his basement shop- another had a precision 4-jaw chuck that he built from scratch. Another showed me the value of using newsprint with the mill- just incredible accuracy with the old manual machines. An old friend (RIP) was a legend in the V-twin bike world- Alan Sputhe. The stuff that guy would dream up and build just to see if he could do it was awesome. He had a Harley Twin Cam engine sitting in front of his desk that he converted to chain-drive SOHC- just for giggles

deathrowdave, SlamIam, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You make mistakes? Oh, no!! Say it isn't so!!;)

Deuces, loudbang and firstinsteele like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A buddy gave me this Shaper/Slotter attachment for my Bridgeport, 20 years ago. IMG_7507.JPG IMG_7509.JPG

Deuces and alanp561 like this.
  11. 723C5D1A-2A55-4010-92FC-B8E5BDB3D924.jpeg 3BFE1741-A485-435F-9E3A-B1DBB9D2FCD8.jpeg 1943522D-DC82-4642-9A23-0999B825A1F0.jpeg 41DBD5A0-8A1F-40D5-8DDD-8F5CABBC2D6B.jpeg After my father passed away I just couldn’t sell the mill or lathe but not having a shop of my own I did the most logical thing I put them in my basement. The ultimate man cave
    Now I put the mill on a slow feed and shoot some pool or relax on my sofa
    J head Bridgeport early Central machinery (hf) x power feed ( haven’t seen this in catalog for a while)
    DRO
    Mitutoyo DRO on the quell
    DC motor controller
    WWll Sebastian navy lathe also DC motor controller
    6’ bed

12. gatz

gatz

^^ interesting...
    Have not seen a slotting head that mounts to a quill.
    We had a Volstro rotary milling head for a BP. Kinda light duty, but did the work at the time.
    CNC pretty much obsoleted those.

We also had a BP slotting head that mounted to the back "eye". It worked great. Made some prototype aluminum PD pulleys for Goodyear PD belts that were to go on Harley Davidson motorcycles.
    This was to take the place of chains. IIRC, Gates ended up being the main supplier.
    But Goodyear got some of the business too.

@gimpyshotrods
    could you mill out the opening on the "clevis" a bit to make it fit?
    IMO, it wouldn't "ruin" it; just make it more practical.

Deuces, Lepus and loudbang like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

It's not so easy to find Bridgeports in the desert...but I got an old import copy of one. And it has real Bridgeport optical scales on the table, which is really nice.

mill.jpg dro.jpg

bobss396, Deuces, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There is no end to the tooling available for a knee mill, and you can spend money in a hurry. My buddies must feel sorry for me, another friend gave me an Albrecht chuck. You can make tool changes, fast, with a hand tightening unit. IMG_7510.JPG

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the on-quill one.

There is a big one that hangs on the back. I have that one. It is quite large.

Not my setup, as I cannot mount mine. Shown opposite the conventional head.

upload_2021-8-8_16-38-50.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    wfo guy, cfmvw, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose. It is a removable piece.

Of course, someone is selling that exact part on eBay right now, for not that much, too.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a friend with the rear mounting unit. He cut some inside splines in a V-8 quickchange coupler for me.

Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.
  18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I thought I had enough machinery to last me for many moons but that was not so.
    The lady that runs the shop where I work came up with the ultimate tool the other day.
    It is a stainless steel can for keeping dirty shop rags in. It has a digital self opening lid that opens when you toss a rag at it. It swallows the rag and then closes. Another wonder of the century.
    Now if I could find a machine to empty the can and wash the rags automatically..........

19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I'm so envious. I want a mill, even if it costs an arm and a leg plus maybe other body parts.

Deuces likes this.
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

003.JPG
    My little Enco bench mill. Very limited as to what it can do, but still handy.

Gary

21. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Man! Me and my little mini mill feel kinda inadequate here! Ain't built alot of big stuff but lots of gun parts!

Attached Files:

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve got three! A Clausing, an index and a Wong-fu.

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

This was my baby for 15 years. Made a lot of hotrod parts and a whole lot of chips. z - shop 3.JPG

stillrunners, wfo guy, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  24. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

went and got Old and couldn't handle the big stuff any more . Now I play with this. IMG_1377.jpg

25. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Bridgeport copy but it works the same. 7D6847B1-AA76-483D-A63E-5418A34F2373.jpeg

stillrunners and Deuces like this.
  26. gatz

gatz

@Flat Roy
    ha ! The ol' Bandit control; that’s what I learned on back in the 70s
    It was on an English “Beaver” mill. (insert joke here)
    The company that sold it to us provided a small cassette tape deck that was to be used for program storage, but damn thing never worked right, so it was all MDI whenever some new part was run.
    Made a lot of parts on it. It was joined by a Bridgeport Boss 6 later on. Then Haas CNC
    Lot of differences.

@chevyfordman
    is that a Wilton? Looks nice.
    I’ve had a DoAll mill w Sony Magnascale DROs & Kurt vise for many years at home.
    It’s a BP clone as well and does all a manual mill should do
    However it’s not as pretty as yours.

chevyfordman and Deuces like this.
  27. Malibu406

Malibu406

Wish I had a mill. Mine is a poor man’s mill…a drill press with an xy vise. As long as Im creative and go slow I can almost make acceptable parts.

Deuces likes this.
  28. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

ha ! The ol' Bandit control;
    Boy that's for sure. What a miserable control. Fortunately I was able to trickle programs into it from my computer. Could not load very large programs and usually took as long to load as it did to run, Ugh. But the mill was a sweetheart, big and tough and accurate to .001. The Cnc router is not as accurate (almost) but have run an 8hour program (loads in a couple of minutes) non stop on it with no errors and no editing,:D. One big plus, can't make a very big mess with it.

Deuces likes this.
  29. j hansen

j hansen

I bought mine some 20 years ago,can`t find a name on it,but it is very old.
    Converted from "beltdrive" to electric. IMG_0135.jpeg IMG_6913.jpeg

wfo guy and chevyfordman like this.
  30. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Here's mine. It's an Adcock-Shipley Bridgeport. These were built by Adcock-Shipley ( a machine tool manufacturer) under license in England. Eventually, the Adcock Shipley company was bought by Textron (Bridgeport's owners) and the Brit built machines lost the Adcock Shipley labelling. Mine came from a technical college when they started to major on CNC, so it hasn't seen too much use, but does have a few 'badge of incompetence' marks on the table.

[​IMG]