Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Mill Men mid '50's KC MO. ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AccurateMike, Dec 22, 2020.

1. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

My Father in-law was in a club in the mid '50's. The club was the "Mill Men" and would have raced at "the airport" in Kansas City. His name is Richard Waughtal. He would have been around late in high school and before college (~'54-'55). His Father in-law (Ivan Dum) got him involved. I was wondering if anybody else here may have been involved in that scene. I'll send a link to this thread to him, maybe he'll join. TIA, Mike

Budget36 likes this.
  2. Here's a bump for you...

Unfortunately more and more of the people who remember things like this are no longer with us. The "airport" races were at Fairfax and evidently only done once as an exhibition during the sports car races on the runways. There's a web site that has these details, but I can't remember exactly what it's called...something like Drag Strip List?

And my feeble memory isn't as feeble as I expected: https://dragstriplist.com/missouri Scroll down to find the Fairfax entry.

Budget36 and AccurateMike like this.
  3. mopacltd

mopacltd

That is some cool history!

4. 'nuther bump for ya...any early KC historians still around here?

AccurateMike likes this.

5. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The airport in "Fairfax" was actually in Kansas across the river from the Kansas City (MO) Municipal airport. Fairfax district was (and still is) a an industrial area that now has a General Motors assembly plant where the old airport used to be.

The FAA general aviation office was at the Fairfax airport and that was where I took my helicopter check rides in the late 70'a. The GM plant was built in about 1985, I think. The KCMO airport was renamed the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown airport. Dr. Wheeler was mayor of Kansas City, MO from 1971 to 1979.

Now my head hurts from thinking too much.

stillrunners and AccurateMike like this.
  7. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Mike, I read through my KCTA book today . It was printed in 1956. Unfortunately, it had no reference to the club the Mill Men.

AccurateMike likes this.