Register now to get rid of these ads!

Military Themed Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53SledSleeve, Sep 22, 2006.

1. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

I hate to do it, but this is a pic request. I'm kicking around doing my 39 chevy truck in a Military theme. Bomber seats upholstered in bomber jacket leather, same goes for the rest of the interior.....everything riveted inside, some cool aviation guages. I'm gonna try to find this stuff original, but if I can't, I can make the rest. I'm kicking around an idea for a shifter that looks like, or was originally from, a throttle on a WW2 plane...bomber or mustang..either way, I just think it would look cool.

Does anybody have any pics of coupes or trucks done in a military theme? I need some inspiration. I'm hell bent on staying away from the typical flat black, satin black, red wheels with whitewalls, but at the same time, I'm trying to convince the little lady that a truck done in a military theme will be kick ass. She thinks it will look like hammered shit, so we're having a difference of opinion. I'm going with Olive Drab Green from KustomShops Hot Rod Flatz, with a copy of an authentic WW2 nose art painted on the cowl towards the bottom.

Any pics for some inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...now where have I heard all this before...:D

3. JamesG

JamesG

are ghay.....

Oh, I thought we were supposed to finish the sentence.....Sorry!

Look, if your GOING to do one, di this one...

[​IMG]

4. JamesG

JamesG

Better shot...

[​IMG]

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well....you asked...so here ya go.
    I painted the bombs on the doors to 'represent' all the tickets I'm BOUND to get! ahahaha!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've been trying for a military inspired look to this car...not a theme...just using seats belts bare parts where i can with rivets things like that
    if your interested i have a gas tank for sale that would be right for in a military themed project
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132434

anyways i think its a good idea...go for it!
    Zach
    [​IMG]

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

PM Da' Bomb. Maybe he'll post pics of his roadster. Has alot of cool riveted panels and a riveted Duval style windsheild that is just gorgeous.

8. Hopefully I won't get beat with a club here for admitting this, but a few months back I saw a mini truck featured in a magazine @ the check-out stand that was done bomber style. The paint, interior, bomber seats, aircraft switches on the dash, big pin-up on the bed cover, exhaust, wheels, etc I thought were dead on for a truck / bomber theme. I don't if anyone here has pictures of it, or if you want to waste your time searching for it on the web, but it had some good ideas.

9. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

do a search for the Billetproof 2006 pic threads last week, I remember at least two in those threads

10. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

Those tanks are FUCKING COOL! I dig it. I guess I should have phrased my request differently. I don't necessarily mean "theme", now that I think about it, I can't get OCC out of my mind and the stupid fucking bikes they do. But, call it a theme, inspired or what else, I'm hell bent on this.

I haven't seen pictures of Sinisters car, and I by NO MEANS want to copy someone elses idea. I've been kicking this idea around for a while now. I plan on doing it, but I don't want to seem like I'm stealing someones idea.

The reason I'm hell bent on doing this is, my Grandfather meant the world to me. He was a WW2 vet who fought at Normandy. I grew up hearing his stories about the war, the good and the bad. Anyway, when he came back, he had my Grandmother meet him in California and they lived in Paso Robles for a few years. Thats when he got into hot rodding....big time. He taught me everything I know and I'll always be grateful for the knowledge. He and my Grandmother pretty much raised me. He died 3 years ago and I've always had a hard time with it. I'm doing this as my form of a tribute to him and what he did for me and how much he taught me. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't know the first thing about cars and I wouldn't be asking these questions. Because of him, I've turned into a FANATIC about WW2 history and facts....and a fanatic about cars.

This is my reason for the pic requests. Not to do some sort of cheesy "Discovery Channel" type theme build.

11. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

A 1942 Dodge WC-54 military ambulance is what got me into cars. So I too love the extremely utilitarian, olive drab, styling. Do it, it'll be bad ass.
    Gary

12. caseyjones

caseyjones

My truck is actually an old Army motor pool vehicle. I don't want to look like I'm jumping on some sort of bandwagon with it, though, so I'm really struggling on what to do for the paint on it. I'll probably go OD on it, but don't know if I'll letter the (non-original) doors again or not. Tailgate will be untouched.

Here's the tailgate, some ideas for lettering or whatever.

[​IMG]

This is from somewhere else, but this is what should be on the doors:
    [​IMG]

13. George

George

I saw a 32 panel/delivery done up as an Army ambulance some years ago at GG Orlando.

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hmmm.... hahahaha :D

We have 3 of them currently underway... A model a coupe, a 1910 Oakland rpu, and the Bonneville car ('35 coupe) I have pics of the A but not really accessible at the moment.

As seen in Hot Rod Magazine. :D

[​IMG]

15. Hal Stockton

Hal Stockton

Hey dude check out my Willys, not finished yet. Also check out "nose Art" on this site. Good luck
    Sharkster

Attached Files:

16. R-U-N-N-O-F-T

R-U-N-N-O-F-T
    from Missouri

Well I found a website recently and wondered if anyone on the HAMB would be interested: http://uscockpits.com/

17. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Wow SUHRsc I don't know how missed your car before but it is gorgeous!

18. aluminum buick

aluminum buick

just as an addendum to this topic, you might want to look into governement auctions. I am a military guy and I am using alot of cannibalized quick change electrical connections as found on various military vehicles. Most are made of aluminum and can be polished de-pinned and rewired fairly easily. They look neat and they make pulling your motor in a hurry hella easy. all of the connections to my engine will run through 2, 10 pin connectors I salvaged off of a thrown away humvee harness I found in a dumpster. To me the plugs just look cool as hell on the firewall(the real reason i did it!) If anyone wants some I might be able to find a few laying around the garage. But I go to iraq next week so not likely I'd be able to ship them for at least a year!!

19. brainfrz

brainfrz

here are two shots from BP2006.

Jon

Attached Files:

20. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I agree with Daddyo54! I wanna see more of this baby!!

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

22. Brad S.

Brad S.

It's only with the ploliferation of the internet that we see more and more cars with the same flavor. We can lump them all into categories.

I wonder how many military themed cars are in my area?

I say do it. We had planned from the get-go to my Dodge in olive drab and black eventually. I guess we may actually do it this winter at some point.

23. I always thought chrome plated grenades would look cool on up turned nerf bars. The grenade handles would have to be facing out, natually. Have them emit colored smoke if some joker pulls the pin...

24. You could always change the grille to one like this...

Attached Files:

25. R-U-N-N-O-F-T

R-U-N-N-O-F-T
    from Missouri

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. disturber

disturber

I think the best option would be to research staff cars and see how they were appointed. Some subtle cues in them that will give you a refined look without being an over the top "theme" car. Still unmistakably military.

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

I got this off the web awhile back ********* 57 Chevy w/ Packard~Merlin engine from a P51 Mustang

Attached Files: