Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild custom '51 Pontiac Chieftain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilA, Nov 4, 2019.

1. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Re: Alternator- I just didn't spin it up fast enough on the bench.

Gave it a bit of beans (2500 rpm) and out went the light.

Now, the light goes out when I start the engine. I guess it just lost its magnetism and needed a kick to get going. Better end to the evening, that.

Phil

Edit: Never mind, I had hooked the alternator output to the switched side of the ignition to get the ammeter to read, turned the switch off without thinking and burned up the 12-to-6 converter on the back of the dash for the fuel gauge.
    Oops.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. All of those small victories add up Mr. Phil, i wish i had your patience....

loudbang and PhilA like this.
  3. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Some days I don't have my patience.

Those are the days I just lock the door and walk away.

I just ordered another converter, should be in on the 7th. I'm going to put plugs in the loom if it's that easy to fill the cabin with smoke and the acrid smell of burning electronics.

Now what I need to do is get some wire long enough to hook the alternator into the unswitched side of the circuit and do it right.

Phil

mrspeedyt, David Gersic and loudbang like this.
  4. Even on your worse day you are way more patient and detail oriented than i am. I thought about your thread while i worked on my car today, and i was ashamed of myself for not doing better lol

chryslerfan55, brEad and loudbang like this.
  5. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I like to say "methodical".

Through experience I have found that in order to be able to fix something without having to troubleshoot blindly it pays to learn how the thing works.
    So, I have been doing a lot of learning. I've been corrected by people who know better and I've tried to learn from it.

It also helps that I'm not on any kind of official time schedule. I was aiming for October of this year; that has passed so I'm back on evenings and weekends trying to chip away at it.

Phil

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Love the car & your keep toittivness. A grampa & 2 uncles drove straight Pontiacs...i've always liked them.
    Love the memories this thread brings back 4 me. Hang in there Phil !

7. I play the same game every winter, i pick up a new project and bust my hind end to get it done enough to drive to the hot rod reunion in June, then i finish what's left after that. Then i sell it or trade it, and start over again lol

loudbang, Barn Hunter and PhilA like this.
  8. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20191201_173659_1.gif
    This afternoon I had a few minutes, so spent it working on the car.

20191201_173906.jpg

More to follow

Phil

9. Damn! You move fast!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yes, but forever undoing the same 10 bolts...

11. Lol I've been there!!!!! That made me cackle!

12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20191201_191352.jpg
    Bought an itty bitty oilcan and filled it with Marvel oil. Spun the engine over and did all the valves. Going to let that sit overnight and redo a bit more tomorrow then put it together again.

20191201_193420.jpg
    All oiled up for the night. Man, that's gonna smoke out the garage when I start it up.

Still, if it does run on all cylinders I'll be happy.

Phil

13. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

20191201_192926.jpg
    Little details like this do worry me though. I'm hoping the pistons are reversible because the only identifying marks are randomly distributed.

Phil

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. Did you pull the springs and work the valves by hand? I wouldn't worry about the pistons Phil, i only see the .040 stamp, i don't see a notch denoting position, you have the rods in there correct. I'm sure you're good

loudbang likes this.
  15. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I was figuring it doesn't matter which way the piston is put onto the wrist then.

I didn't pull the valves, I do not have the correct tool. I just used gentle persuasion on exhaust 8 and then oiled the daylights out of each stem with Marvel.

That can sit, I'll spin it over again tonight and let it sit; same tomorrow, add a bit more, let it soak, spin it over and reassemble and see how it plays ball.

If not, I'll lift it apart again and get the valve tool, pull and clean the valves and guides (which really needs doing but this is a halfway house solution).

Phil

16. I believe i have the valve spring compressor, if it comes to that I'll stick it in the mail to you. I have no need for it

mrspeedyt, loudbang and PhilA like this.
  17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I'll fling it back together tomorrow if I have time and see how it runs.

Phil

mrspeedyt and loudbang like this.
  18. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I really shouldn't sit and read about fuel injection.

Probably better in keeping, a set of 4 carbs on a nice balanced intake would be nice, to try balance the mixture across all pots a bit better.

I should really just get it going properly with the original Carter carburetor first. Hotrodding comes later. (More like fuel economy and torque for better highway behavior).

Phil

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Well, I reassembled everything and started it up. Beautiful smooth for about a minute then back to the same old nonsense.

A bit smoky burning off the oil. Valves need to come out.

Phil

20. Do you need a valve spring compressor like this? 716u-5oR+WL._SL1500_.jpg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yeah, that's the type that would work.

Phil

mrspeedyt, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. Let me dig it up and I'll stick it in the mail. PM me your address

23. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Thank you.

I need to be making a little plate on the firewall, with "Thanks to..." on it.

No pictures tonight but I tightened up the fanbelt and wired the alternator in properly.
    Also found out why the horn wasn't working- connected that up to the back of the ammeter where it's meant to go. Helps if it's connected.

Started up cold it runs ok. Good sign.

Phil

mrspeedyt, Okie Pete, brEad and 2 others like this.
  24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I think I need a higher wattage bulb in the warning light circuit.

20190905_205154.jpg
    I got this nice little red doohickey in a hole that was there courtesy of someone else. It takes a midget flange bulb and I have the wrong one in it right now.

Am I right in thinking if the engine takes a blip of the gas to get the light to go out (then it stays out) the bulb needs to be increased in wattage to get the alternator field to excite and start charging sooner?

Phil

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  25. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Getting the alternator to start charging is typically a function of engine RPM, not the wattage on the alternator charge indicator light. A common "feature" of an alternator conversion in an old car. If only takes a small blip of the gas pedal to turn off the light, leave it alone (i.e. not sufficiently broken).

26. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Yeah, it takes revving up to about 1000 rpm, then letting off and it'll charge down to 350-400rpm idle.

Phil

27. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

When I did my 12v conversion I picked up an alternator that's used on a tow motor (was told they are designed to operate better at lower rpms). Not sure if that's true but even at an idle I have no charging issues. It's been in service for about 8 years now.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mrspeedyt likes this.
  28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Once it's charging, this one works fine. It's just getting it to start charging.

Phil

mrspeedyt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

I live out in Ponchatoula. Was there a car meet out in Folsom?

30. CBoyd

CBoyd

I had trouble with sticky valves in my 49 Pontiac also. I put mmo in the oil and the gas and that seemed to help for a while. It started ticking again and a buddy of mine suggested putting a half a pint of diesel fuel in the oil and drive it around town for 30 min. or so. Did that and then drained the oil, put in fresh, and no troubles the last couple of months. Great job on the Hydro!!

mrspeedyt and PhilA like this.