Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mild Custom 1951 Chevy Styleline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tyler Brewer, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Here are some progress shots of my 1951 Chevy. I am lucky to have access to a full shop, the catch is it is about an hour away from where I live. So, I only get to work on the car a few hours each week. Progress has been slow and steady. The motor and transmission should get their initial fitment in about a week. I'll try to keep this updated each week, but sometimes progress isn't all that visible or exciting...

Attached Files:

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks like a really great start. What do you have planned? I look forward to following your progress.

3. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

The plan is to shave and deck the car. I will maintain the belt line, rocker and front and back glass trim. The firewall is smoothed and the car will be powered by a 305 vortec out of a 96 Tahoe and 700r4 transmission. The engine was sold to me as a 350 but a running of the casting numbers revealed it was a 305... It will work for now and I got a great deal on it so I'm trying not to be too upset about it. The vortec intake has been removed and will be replaced by a custom TBI set up. The motor and transmission are hopefully getting their first fitting next weekend. Updates to come

4. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Nice street rod parts.

6. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Hopefully that is allowed in this section! If not, my bad.

7. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

[​IMG]
    Here it is prior to being torn down

[​IMG]

The seats had just been recovered prior to purchase as well as a new headliner installed and a new carpet kit. The seats will get the inserts redone prior to install as I'm not s big fan of the bow tie print.

Everything from this post on should be in order.

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Your car, your money, your time and effort, but if it were me I'd resist the urge to billet it out. keep posting pics!

9. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

No billet will be taking place, the wheel and column are the end of it. I'm removing 90% of the chrome from the car and the interior will be almost all black with a few aqua accents.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Unless you think that is too much billet. I'm not a fan of the stuff, and it never crossed my mind that this was going that direction, but now I'm paranoid! Thoughts?!?

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Not making a judgement. Carry on!

12. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

That's not helpful at all! I'm truly open to advice here, especially before the whole damn car is done! Judge away, I'm tough!

13. ACO.OG

ACO.OG

Sup man. I follow you on IG.

Yeah this board has a problem with street rod stuff which is what that column/wheel is.

It's ultimately your car so you can do what you want and "what works best" is different for everyone.

I've seen people cut the stock column and make some linkages to work with the M2 set up.

Either way man, I enjoy your build and it keeps me motivated.

14. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

half the people here have street rods as their avatar, so I wouldn't sweat it. Car is coming along nicely, what is your goal date to have it rollin?

15. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Haha. Gotcha. I get sick of people picking apart other guys builds. To each is their own. I'd just hate to see you lose the traditional flavor with the "street roddy " components. I figure with customs, if it's out of sight it fair game if it makes the car better to drive, but from an aesthetic standpoint, mixing eras and styles is a wet blanket for me.

16. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Awesome, that is a very fair stance. A coat of paint is always an option down the road for the column. My end game is to have a car that looks like it could have been done in the 60s. The center console I built has an iPad that will be the stereo, but will be able to be hidden away when needed/wanted. Thank you for the input! I'd much rather hear these type of comments now rather than when the car is complete. Some might consider the gauges street rodish, but I like those and trust them over the 65 year old ones that were in there. Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  17. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

[​IMG]
    Little more work on the firewall

[​IMG]

Test fit of the motor and trans after fabbing up the brackets. [​IMG]

Brake master cylinder bracket in place

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Colt54chevy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Looks good. Keep it up!

19. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

[​IMG]
    Steering connected

[​IMG]

Column and wheel fit in. I know there are haters on these parts, I will likely get a different wheel down the line..

20. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Hey! Somehow I never saw your post here, thanks for the encouragement! Got a bit more done today. Hoping to bang out some brake lines this weekend.

21. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Somehow overlooked your comment as well. Thank you, I will ultimately do it the way I want but I do welcome any advice that is constructive!

22. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Exhaust going to fit with the steering linkage in there? Tyler.... put a big block in my 53 so three u-joints a pillow block and cut a piece of pipe into the frame for clearance it fit... sweet ride man keep it up

Tyler Brewer likes this.
  23. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

I am hoping it will fit, I have the frame mount master cylinder to contend with too. I ordered a set of hugger headers that come highly recommended for this application, so we'll see how it all comes out. This set up has a double u-joint at the spline and a single at the column. I'll get the big sockets and hammer ready in case the headers are going to bump the linkage. Thanks for the kind words! I'll have to track down some pictures of that big block you put in!

24. Mate, I'm in a similar situation as yourself, and I get nothin' done. So billet's better than nothing. If it gets it to the road, go for it. I think that wheel and guages look OK, not mad on the column, but hey, if it works.. Times are changin' with me, I'm 50+, I aint so fussy no more on a few minor aesthetic details. Outside bodywork/ wheels, maybe more so.

Tyler Brewer likes this.
  25. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I can't even see the column, the wheel though.......you know, if they just rounded off the edges.....

Don't stop now, keep going!

Tyler Brewer likes this.
  26. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

Yeah, the wheel is terrible. Do you know if a 50's Chevy wheel is a direct fit on an aftermarket column? I'm liking the 15" versions of the 55-56 or 57 wheels. That said, this one will have to work until the car is going and stopping under its own power.

27. Krusty408

Krusty408
    from Ukraine

It's just my opinion, but... don't you think it's too much aftermarket parts, as for custom?

28. F&J

F&J

Not bashing, just adding a few comments:
    Many first time builders have regrets over time, or even during the build. They keep making changes during or after the build, or at some point build another car as a better example of the "old ways". My point is that feathers get ruffled, when people who get the entire car period correct, have to hear a builder claim that their car IS like it was done in 1960. Sort of a insult to their hard work to get theirs "period correct". If you said your car was meant to look the part on the outside, "but will have some modern features", then nobody can fault that description.

There are many threads on here on how to make old gauge faces work with new components, so that excuse does not work, if you "want it to look like it was built in 1960"

>>Bear in mind how people react when they see a custom at a show. Customs normally show best with hood closed. So, people instantly go peek in to see the complete interior/gauges/steering wheel/upholstery color and pattern. In this case the car really does not look 1960, no matter how hard we try to rewrite history, to justify our choices. "It is,...or it ain't", there simply is no inbetween.

I think it's pretty cool that some hamber from a distant land, so far from where these customs came from, knows the real deal. :)

as an aside, this whole "period correct" rods and customs thing, can be a lot of fun to create, IF that is your quest. There is room for "in between" on here.

57JoeFoMoPar and X38 like this.
  29. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

All good points! Thank you for the input, the inside will have a couple "off correct" items. The wheel isn't staying and the seats will be recovered as well, they came freshly recovered when I bought the car but they are not to my taste. This is my second car, my first was a 63 bel air sedan that was "budget restored" with no modifications. This time around I want to build a car that can be daily driven and relied on. Something I can hand the keys to my wife and not worry about how her day in the car will go. Maybe I posted in the wrong "area" of the HAMB. I read the rules ahead of time and felt this is where my build fit, but time will tell if I was right or wrong. Maybe one day I'll log on and my thread will have been deleted.