Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mikes Roadster almost full circle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GMC BUBBA, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Looks really good!!! What a difference.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I have had those problems before but on this light i lucked out as it orginaly had two double pin single filiment ( six volt) lamps. One for the top and one for the lower section. I got the glass beader down into each socket and shot the contact as well as the sides. Then used new 12 volt bulbs. Used contact enhancer on all that and put them in.
    The real issue was the socket that was at the rear to plug these bulbs to the cars wiring.
    it was a hard plastic deep opening ( like a model t ford) , I finally cut it off making it shallow enough to solder two lead wires to the contacts and then filled the cavity with black silicone.
    The lamp was a real pain to disassemble and reassemble a few times.

You know you get better after the 5th time ???:) :)

3. Been watching this one from the first post. Awesome job, guys! I hope to see it up close when I swing thru there enroute to the Drags. (More plans when that gets closer.) Keep up the great posts.
    Bil

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

OK, a stance report.
    Its on the ground and 98% ready for a test drive. The alternator mount is taking some time as we had to swing it low after the hood was put on the car. The trans cooler is installed and its about time to add some fluids and take it for a drive with some fab left on throttle linkage.
    The smaller 560x15 tires seems to help the view. Car needs to be done by mid week next week. World of Wheels Show in two weeks. Tom wants to stripe the car and Cliff needs to finish some paint work ( where the Suave shake painted the sides and upper cowl)
    Need some "shake painting done" just give us a call. Suave Mike can shake a paint can and paint everything in a single room in just a few minutes, may turn into a new fad. Maybe we should patent the term " Shake paintin" ???:) :)

Note , the green stuff is some foam for the interior panels. We dont allow green anymore and we have taxed out the supply of yellow. We now have a "NO YELLOW" rule at the shop no yellow allowed in the building, unless Suave wants to shake paint something.

Attached Files:

5. Suave's Buick

Suave's Buick

The "Suave Shake" always imitated, but never duplicated.

Some people go to school for years to learn artistic technique like that, I come by it naturally.

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

SAT UPDATE:

After our usual "hot rod breakfast " at waffle steak me and Lindross got started on the shop projects and decided we had to stop put everything up and put all tools away. That really helps moral sometimes.
    We swept and mopped and got started on "Suave" yellow hot rod. Lindross was determined to get the wiring finished and i placed a outline or two on a card board box as to what we needed to finish all the wiring , relays etc. Suave came in a little later looking like a bottle of Knob-Creek had attacked him at a all night texas hold-em party . ( and it had):) :) .
    I started final filling the fluids etc and suave finished installing the radiator and putting the hoses on ( hopefully for the final time.).
    Lindross got to a point where we could check the key action and i had just finished wiring up the single wire alternator. Wally had finished the mount last week. Hit the starter and the engine sounded really good. As we added trans fluid we noticed that there was a large amount on the floor ( all cars guys have got to appreciate this one), oops forgot the speedo plug in the turbo 350 . Cleaned up the mess and added the speedo plug ( it was on the cart next to the car) and restarted the engine adding fluid and antifreeze /coolant etc. Transmission didnt seem to work when placed in gear ( car is on stands) OOPS, forgot the torque convertor bolts :confused: :confused: :confused: . Under the car and added the three very vital convertor bolts and tried it again, not only does the trans work but it shifts etc and the brakes ( when applied) stop the wheels . A couple good signs.
    OOPS !! Looks like a huge water leak on the side of the engine block, oh shit, the freeze plug is pouring water. Never even thought about the freeze plugs being old. Oh well its a easy one to get to. Popped it out had the Suave run down the street and pick up a few extras and reinstalled the new one. Ran the engine for a minute allowed the thermpstat to open and it is sounding good. OOPS another freeze plug is leaking at the front of the engine. Stopped , popped it out and ran it again with a new one installed. At leat the ones in the back of the block isnt leaking or the one under the starter.
    After cleaning up our mess ( for the fourth time) we checked the lights and they work well and the gauges in the 54 Studebaker all work pretty well ( except the temp and i dont have the sender for that one yet).
    Decided to call it a day and guess what ?? OOPS the freeze plug under the starter is leaking. Oh well thats a next week job. I guess we will just play it by ear for a mile or two of local driving to decide if we pull the engine and replace those other tow under the trans ????
    All in all a pretty good day, car is sounding pretty good and every thing is really working prety well.:D

Attached Files:

7. Car looks great. You did a damn fine makeover, excellent quality, but man, your gonna hate yourself for not putting operational doors in that puppy!!!

8. Yeah, I wouldn't leave yesterday till we had the high beam indicator in the dash working and all the tail lights along side all the other wiring.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Look's great, Keep the update's coming.

Steve.

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Doors ??? How does doors work ???? :D
    Suave is big enough to just walk over and step in, thats why the cab is extended. He did get out yesterday with the car on the stands and figure out his stride wasnt deep enough....:) ouch !!!

Another one of our cars without doors below,

Attached Files:

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Got most of the bugs worked out. Replaced the freeze plug under the starter and Cliff jumped in and finished the throttle linkage. Dropped it on the ground wed night for the first drive. Suave drove it toward the door and i noticed the steering coupler was loose. Me and 29 Sedanman tightened the set screw and i held the joint up for the screw to fit in the groove on the steering box shaft etc.
    Suave took it out the door and needed to back up to clear all the stuff in the lot. wow a burn out in reverse , but not on purpose ?? It seems as if his foot became logged between the gas and the brake, the more he hit the brake the higher the engine reved. WOW quite a scare for everyone concerned. I hit the igntion switch as he smoked by me and the car stopped with no damage to anything. ( it happended to me later in the evening as well) The brake petal has since been moved a ton to the left and the throttle petal to the right.

I decided to drive it down the street ( with Suave as a passenger) to check transmission etc. WOW car rides reallly great and steers as good as any i have ever driven. First gear is ok, shifts into second , add a little more throttle and the car shifted into third sounding even better as we went . Then it appeared as if the steering shaft and wheel was loose in my hands with no steering what so ever ???.
    Holy shit what is happening now ????
    Between Suave and I , we both screamed like little girls as the car headed to a large grassy area at the right side of the road. I locked up the brakes and we stopped about a few feet from a chain link fence. What the hell had happened, i actually watched Tracy tighten the screw and the locknut! It appears the joint had came upward and off the shaft! I placed it back on the shaft and pushed down on the steering wheel in the dark and carefully drove it back to the shop.
    Once at the shop we removed the set screw and drilled thru the shaft replacing the set screw with a grade eight bolt to assure this would never happen again !!
    WOW what a evening, two uncontrolable burnouts and then this issue. Oh well i guess thats what makes a hot rod , real stories to go along with it.
    I hauled the car to Cliff ( the painter) for a touch up thursday and we got it back today looking really good. Even in the cold Suave and Lindross drove the car back ( its 15 deg here ) . A few adjustments to the seats and added a overflow hose to the radiator and off they went to see Tom at Culbertsons Customs for some pin stripes and a final blessing before the car show next weekend. Car runs and rides really good and has that certain stance that a little roadster needs to have.
    Looks for this car around the hamb meets this summer for sure!!!!

Oh yea the windshield is at the glass shop.:)

A very special thanks to the crew at Culbertsons Customs and the crew ( the wed evening bubch) at Bubbas garage for making this car come together so well !!!!

Attached Files:

12. marx

marx

lookin' great, man!

by the way; did you build that camper?

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

We do build the teardrops here as well.

www.bubbastrailerpark.com

dont know whick one you seen i the pics i have a orginal 1947 Kit i restord and we have used it as a pattern for the new units. Check the site for more pics of all the trailers etc.

14. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Way to go guys........It looks great!!

Cant wait to see it next weekend.

Tim

15. Mikes RPU looked fantastic at the World of Wheels in it's nearly finished state. Some minor detail work left to do and he's gonna be ready for years of enjoyment. :cool:

Attached Files:

16. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Mike is now offically awarded his " roadster wings".

After more than enough new car problems, broken flywheel, leaking radiator, two defective new fuel pumps and a rear end failure, the car made the trip from Indy to the Cinnimatic. Mike and son ( Dominic) made the 600 mile trip with us and they enjoyed every mile of the ride!!

Good job "Suave"!!!!

One more adjustment of the ride height ( a new front spring) and this car is destined to become a regular on the HAMB trail....

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey! the wheel on that motorboat is on the wrong side!
    - Looks killer, guy.

Joe

18. Well, this one has been an interesting one. We've officially dubbed this truck a woman as she's been pretty temperamental. :D Been a great build but had it's share of minor technical hitches that you don't uncover till you get some miles on the car. Had a couple radiator leaks, locked up rear end, couple electric fuel pumps go bad, car sat too low in the front which resulted in a couple nasty flex plate meets concrete moments. That tore the transmission to hell.

Over the past week we've been working diligently to get our buddy Mike back on the road and to the Hunnert Car Pileup. Just one week ago the truck was completely tore down to frame and drive train. Installed repaired transmission, sat cab back on body, rewired the harness, etc... Got fluids added and took it for a test drive and it was better than ever. Took the truck to Culbertsons to re-arch the sagging front spring and he even added a couple leafs to get the ride hight in the front where it should be to prevent further bottoming out issues. Noticed a couple more minor things that needed tended too such as exhaust leak and a couple other minor touch ups. So we get all this wrapped up on Wednesday this week and closing up shop and send Mike on his way for what we know to be thousands of happy miles... only to find him stopped coming out of the drive way. :eek: Fuel pump went out again. So we get after it again tonight and find the fuel filter once again clogged with quite a bit of rusty debree. We replum the fuel lines and actually pulled the tank and gave it a good cleaning. Boy was there some scary stuff that came out of that thing. :eek: So new pump, clean tank, clean lines and we're off and running for what we hope to be a successful trip to the Hunnert Car Pileup!! So when you see the bad ass yellow RPU at the pileup, bring Mike a beer cause it's been a hard fought battle. :cool::D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Yeah Mikey!!!!

Glad to see you got her going. Were starting to get pumped up for the pileup!!

ROADTRIP!!!!!:D

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am ready for the pile up as well, just as soon as I get my motor and tranny back in. Yeah, I know it is next week.

I am not feeling well today, I think I better stay home.

Glad to see Mike is back in action. See you guys next week.

21. Part Timer

Part Timer

Sorry, I’m late to the party. Are there any updates or o RF other projects from Bubba’s? I really dig this build style.

MM

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.