Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mikes Roadster almost full circle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GMC BUBBA, Oct 21, 2006.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Lindross started this in another thread and we will continue the build, but i thought everyone would enjoy seeing this projrct come almost full circle in a fairly short period of time. Most work was done wed evenings and a few weekends, starting July 12th of this year. The parts were found , cleaned and rebuilt where needed. The body ( a bubba vision setting in the weeds) was constructed at Culbersons Customs in Indianapolis and the tear downs and back together will be completed at Bubbas Hot Rod shop in Indianapolis as well. The t was bought on ebay ( a good decision as all parts were there to roll on a trailer), the engine was checked and new camshaft installed with fresh valve job ( 2.02 heads), trans was overhauled and every thing was cleaned, sandblasted and primered and rebuilt as need. The body ( in the weeds picture) was a collection of gm, buik, chevrolet and a 29 discarded tub back half. We used every thing from the T project we could use. Now its time to disassemble and paint, install brake lines etc and get it dress for the Indianapolis World of Wheels car show in Feb. More pics as we get er done.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Second part of story is this car has had tons of friends and help during our wednesday evening hot rod night. Thanks to all who has helped this project get done. You know guys love to take stuff apart. the one pic shows the chassis and the other all the dudes attacking this car. It came totally apart and strippped in one evening. The worse job wa sjust to degrease and blast all the little parts. One five gallon bucket was just for bolts alone. A few more for small parts.
    Even the cat at Culbersons like the cars stance and look. rbg

Attached Files:

3. Splinter

Splinter

Somebody on this board once said-"You can't polish a turd". I think you have proved him wrong in a BIG way. Nice job, and may I say "thank you" for keeping that other thing off the road.

4. Lucky77

Lucky77

Wow, nice transformation. The new incarnation of that old T is badass!

5. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Hey Bubba, I was over at Tom's this morning and was checking out the new ride. Guess I just missed you. Gonna be a cool car when it's all finished.The Wise brothers came over a little later. You should have hung around...we had a ball just hanging out.:D

6. The RPU has arrived back at Bubba's and looking good. Time for tear down, body work & paint and all that fun detail work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

great work, looks very cool......

8. Squablow

Squablow

I'd be tempted to run the car without the hood. I love the dash, what's it from?

9. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

The dash is a later Studebaker Avanti.I bought a couple of these at a swap meet years ago NOS, we plan on using every gauge in the panel. Tom Culbertson framed the dash with some rolled sheet metal and conduit.
    If you look at the car close Tom uses quite a bit of conduit to form and firm the sides of the body and dash up.
    Must because of Pete Farrah ( the welder) of Farrah electric family etc. I think Pete is hooked on the conduit.:)

We ( the Bubbas Crew) have all been hoodless for the last couple years and this year is the year of the hood. We have added a hood to my A, our 32 Blue chevy and soon on the Krylon special dodge.
    I cant believe the difference driving them with and without hood. The hood seems to just tighten up the whole vehicle, not to count the looks change.

10. Suave's Buick

Suave's Buick

WOW! thats prettier than a new set of snow tires...

That Mike guy must be one "Suave" MoFo, and one luckey guy to get a ride like that...

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Wednsday night is hot rod night at "Bubbas Hot Rod Shop" and last wed we tore the roadster back down ( hopefully for the last time) and started laying out all the bolts parts etc for paint etc.
    Tuesday we were on holiday and the three of us. ( GMC Bubba, Lindrossand Suave ) painted every thing that wasnt tied down or already a color. Cliff ( dog catcher painter) painted the frame in rustolem andwe used rustoleum hammer finish silver on some suspension parts and hot shot ( with eastwood hardner) on the front axle and rear end assembley. Took all day and tonight ( wed ) we started the process to put everything back together. WOW did we get a lot done. Cliff brought the finished bed to us tonight and we love the flat yellow color. This ride is going to look reallly good.

Thought everyone would enjoy seeing the update.:)

Attached Files:

12. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

wow looking good, cant wait to see it done.... keep the pic coming..

13. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

It is looking good. I will try to stop by Friday after work and take a look.

14. For those who didn't know, this is an official "Bubba" wiring diagram. :D

Attached Files:

15. The flat yellow is a nice twist to all the flat colors:rolleyes: Plus I love yellow! This has turned into an incredible little ride. Great Job!

16. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking really good.

17. I like it and I'm onboard with the hood, it gives it a whole new feel and I like it.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like it's really coming together nice. what's the deal on wednesday night thrashing. open to visitors?

19. DOG CATCHER

DOG CATCHER

Mikes Roadster at Cliffs. Hope to have it in primer by Thursday of this week. Now the fun starts:confused:

Attached Files:

20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Sure just drop by, we start about 6:00 and work until 9-10 depending on the mood. Everybody is welcome and we have had a lot fo fun with this whole deal ( not to count the work we have been gettin done)
    We are at 30G Gasoline Alley at the west end of the parking lot on the left around back. The sign says " Bubbas Trailer Park".
    Stop by.:)
    Let me know if you need directions.

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Looks like it has had the " de-rusto" chemical treatment. Your place is really a "beauty shop for rusty stuff" right ??

22. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Kudo's guys, It is nice to see a bunch of guys working on a car together, I would love that in my shop..You just don't see it much anymore and the car is going to be bitchin. Again, a vision from a collection of builders as well as hands on is priceless congrats on the fellowship, and the car is the results... :cool:

23. Cool, can't wait to see you work your magic on this one. :cool:

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Wed night update.
    Six of us got a lot done to the roadster tonight. Almost got the wiring done, brake lines and brakes 80 percent done, and changed intakes to gain crankcase ventilation etc.
    Also took a minute to visit the painter ( Cliff and Mel ), hard to tell its the same body !! Paint goes on tomorrow and looks great !!!!!!
    Swap meet sunday , hope the wheel dude is there for new steelies.

Attached Files:

25. Plowboy

Plowboy

I like how you guys snuck the headers through the bodywork.

That's cool how you all work together on your stuff. That is the way everybody should operate. At least have a couple buddies around drinking and giving you moral support. Hell, if I had someone there to hold the other end of a wrench I would be delighted.

26. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

Ya, been pretty cool so far, we didnt plan it this way it just happened.
    I used to belong to a car club years ago and we met every thursday evening and usually went to someones house and worked on each others cars etc. pretty cool. Now all they do is drink beer and bitch about something.
    We have a varying crew stop by and seems like we end up with 5-6 each wed, a couple of the guys are not very mechanical but love to glass bead parts etc. We could NEVER get as much done without them. Hopefully this summer we can repay all of them with some road trips etc, or maybe build them a car??

Wheres Cerro Gordo Illinois?
    We can add you to the wed list if ya want to drive over some night, pay is good ( moon pies and tamales some nights):D .

Grumpys Hot Rods likes this.
  27. DOG CATCHER

DOG CATCHER

Here is a little peek into what the body looks like now. Don't touch paint still wet. HA !The guys will post better pictures when the body is delievered on Friday or Saturday.:D

Attached Files:

28. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA

WOW, quite a transition! From the orginal ebay T bucket taken apart on the wed Hot Rod Night , to Tom ( Culbersons Customs) for a frame extension and a new body from the weeds) back to Bubbas ( apart again for paint rebuilding stuff etc and then to the paint wizzard ( Dog Catchers ) pretty amazing to me!!!:eek:

Attached Files:

29. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Lookin good, cant wait to see the finished product!!!

Grumpys Hot Rods likes this.
  30. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

WoW looks great.....