Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mighty Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 3, 2010.

1. I want that '51 Victoria!!;).....Don.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. Ole DJ

Ole DJ

Guys,

Forgive a non-hotrodder for chiming in here. I found this thread Googling "Mighty Mo". and saw you guys talking about my old "home place" - The Queens Chapel Mo. My prime years there were 62-64.

I went to High Point and most of the "good" kids hung at the Langley Park Hot Shoppe. My buddies and I were dating girls from a Catholic girls school in the District, Academy of Our Lady. They cruised the Queens Chapel and NH Mo's, so of course we did too. We'd drive EW Hiway and Ager Rd all night, always careful to remember the spot where the road went down to two lanes and the right lane just ended in a barricade.

I was no racer -- the best I drove was a powder blue and white 55 Chev convertible slushbucket 6. Sad, I know. But the girls liked it. We'd also drive over to the Wheaton and Silver Spring Hot Shoppes to admire the rich kids and their Plymouths and Dodges, which displayed their cube numbers on the "bottle opener" hood ornaments.

I remember the HJ, because it was the first one I ever saw. I also recall a car called "Jigh Boltage" [I think it was a 54 Chev] that was owned by an older HP guy. He claimed he raced it. It often had white numbers painted in the windows, but some wannabe's did that. Anyway, he got a huge speeding ticket and raffled the car off to pay it. Of course, a friend won it and sold it back to him.

Thanks for letting me share my memories. Maybe I rang a few bells.

Ole DJ

3. You're always welcome to "chime in" with interesting tid bits here even if you don't consider yourself a "hot-rodder". Maybe you are a "closet" hot-rodder. Post up some more info on your profile about where life has taken you. Actually that '55 Chevy convertible sounds pretty darn cool even with the "6"..Welcome to the HAMB.....Don.:)

4. Clik

Clik

I'd like to hear more of what you remember about the Henry J.

I'm trying to find a picture of it.

Any pics from the area or the day would be cool too.

5. 58 John

58 John

Like your new avitar.........bout time you posted a pix of the "Olds"
    Next up Pictures of the "J"
    BTW do you remember my buddies Gold 57 T Bird with a 427 Holman & Moody (sp?) highpro 2-4 powered and four speed...actually ripped the rear out of it running a corvette on Ager Road....Vette may have had a straight axel front end..
    John

6. Clik: Sorry, I don't have any pix of that HJ. I don't even have many pix of my own rides. I do have a recollection of a green HJ with the Cadillac engine set up gasser style. Actually, I'd say it was a race car with tags. I think the guy's name was Graninger. I lived in Laurel for many moons. While the gearheads I ran around with didn't go to the Queenstown Mo every weekend, we were semi-regular. When we went, we'd make a circuit of going to the Mo, stopping at the nearby BC for some burgers, and head to Ameche's on Rt 40 in Catonsville before returning to Laurel. Ameche's was like the Mighty Mo North. We'd do our street racing on Rt 216 outside of Laurel. There was a nice straight stretch that was 1/4 mi long. How convenient. That HJ left a lasting impression on me, too. I hoped to build one some day, but that hasn't happened yet. The closest I've come is getting the HJ script off the back of a wrecked one I found in a junkyard once.

7. Clik

Clik

Yeah, I just figured out how to get that little Avatar up there.

I can't say that I remember the cars but I'm thinking of a straight axle, or at least up-in-the-front Vette that might have been associated with one of the gas stations there on Ager Road.

I do remember passing two cops at over a hundred MPH on Ager Road. I tried to hide behind a Jersey wall at the old drive-in. They found me. The cop gave me a choice between "Speed greater than reasonable and prudent" or a one point mirror violation. Did he need to ask?

I probably won't make Marley Station this weekend. I bought some land in Western Maryland and plan on heading up there to camp out (So to speak. Pick-up camper with all the goodies).

8. Clik

Clik

I've heard others describe the Henry J there as green. The one I remember was red with blue Plexi glass side windows that slid in tracks to open half way.

I remember cruising up to 216 looking for action. My buddy had a black on black 69 Dart GTS jacked in the back to clear big meat, and built to the point of being barely streetable. He drove to the hot spots but couldn't shift worth a damned and that's where I came in. Plus I didn't have a license to lose anyway.

I remember the Burger Chef. People would hang at the Mo but go over to Burger Chef because it was so much cheaper.

9. Clik

Clik

<CENTER>THE FAMOUS SAUCE:</CENTER>
    1/2 c. Hunt's Ketchup (no substitutes)
    1/4 c. chili sauce
    1-1/2 tsp. A-1 Sauce
    1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 drops Tabasco Sauce
    1/2 c. finely chopped sweet pickle
    1-1/4 c. mayonnaise
    Combine ketchup, chili sauce, A-1 Sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco Sauce. Add pickle to sauce mixture. Combine the sauce-pickle mixture with mayonnaise, stirring until well-blended. Store in a tightly covered container in refrigerator until needed.
    NOW, TO FASHION A FULL-BLOWN MIGHTY MO ...
    [​IMG] 1 uncut sesame seed hamburger roll/bun
    1 T. softened margarine
    2 hamburger patties, each two ounces
    Salt to taste
    White pepper to taste
    1 T. shredded lettuce
    1 slice American cheese
    4 tsp. Mighty Mo sauce
    2 dill pickle chips
    Cut hamburger roll crosswise into three equal slices. Spread bottom, top and one side of center cut of bun with margarine. Grill bun until lightly browned and heated throughout.
    Shape hamburger into thin 4-inch diameter patties. Grill very lightly on both sides. Do no overcook. Grill second hamburger very lightly on one side, turn and top with American cheese and grill lightly. Do not overcook.
    Spread two teaspoons of Mighty Mo sauce on bottom of roll. Top dressing with shredded lettuce, then hamburger. Top hamburger with middle layer of bun, grilled side up. Spread with remaining Mighty Mo sauce. Top with cheeseburger. Place pickle chips on cheese. Cover with top of bun. Do not cut.

10. Her is pic of Hot Fudge Cake--i will post pic of Mighty Moe as well !

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Here is pic -- This is it !!!

Attached Files:

12. Rodder968

Rodder968

As know, I was too young when you "older guys" were hanging out there, but I do remember some of the cars as they were around for awhile. I'm trying to find out ho owned and may possiby own that HJ. I'll post if I find anything.

13. .......It's all I can do not to drool all over my keyboard.:)

14. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Does anyone remember a guy named Donald Robinson ? He used to cruise that area in a new '67 Black 427 Vette with white interior. I'm looking for him.

15. .......Doesn't ring a bell. Maybe someone else might remember him. Is there an interesting story here?

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Maybe some of you might like to know what other cars were semi regulars. My memory isn't the best but these cars are burned in my gray matter.

Tommy Kivetts 55 Chevy sedan, glass tilt off front end with every piece of metal that was not absolutely necessary was shit canned. Window regulators were not considered necessary. Real plexiglass windows. It ran a stroked 57 283 (no side motor mounts that he would proudly show when negotiating the wager on the race)

His older brother Terry had a bitchen 49 Olds coupe with radiused rear wheel wells. pretty sure it was 394 but guys didn't advertise what was under the hood.

Anthony Sego had a nice mild custom 60 Impala. Dark blue with white rolled and pleated interior. All looks and no go until he trans planted a 67 427-425 into it. It was hard to beat after that.

My buddy bought one of the first 68 Mustang SCJ The first one that the only option was stick or automatic. The dealers son got the stick. My buddy bought the automatic. Nobody at the Mo knew what it was They looked it over real well and were convinced it was a 390.

Later Tommy K. had a 66 Marina blue ChevyII L-79 327-350 HP he called the blue bitch. He won a lot of street races. I remember one night at Blue Plains he talked a guy from S.E. with an altered wheel base big block 56 Chevy into spotting him a car length. He put 2 more lengths on him out of the gate. It was something to behold.

There was 56/7 Corvette that was a fast bitch. He lost it one night on Rt 29 and went through the median strip taking out a bunch of grading stakes then saved it and continued on. The only time I ever saw him lose.

Way too many of the muscle cars of the day. There were several SS 396 Chevelles One impressive Buick Regal that we later learned had a BBC in it. Another Le Mans that came over from SE with another BBC. There seemed to be a pattern.:D

Dicky Boswell drove a 66 427 390 Corvette coupe that got some extra attention:D. He cut holes in the wheel wells inside to get enough clearance to run slicks. The cab would fill up with smoke when he left the line. The slicks worked...he kept breaking half shafts.:D

Jack Bland had a nice red 55 with a BB he lost it one night showing off leaving a sledding party He cut the bent front frame section off at the firewall and had me weld on some box tubing to mount a straight axle. One of, if not the first, straight axle cars in our area.

Some of the non racers that came through..

Charlie Walters had a very cool 34 3W with a SBC and a power glide. He later traded it for a Deuce 2dr project with a 396.

Jerry King's first body style Griffith with the SBF.

Jerry Conklin had a 34 Vicky with a SBF that he brought from Calif. He still has it.

Lots of Mopar wedge engines of various stages and HPs. I don't remember any street Hemis.

I was a pure spectator in the racing. I loved the home built hotrods and not so much the factory muscle cars which often had a payment book still in the glove box.

This was a special place and time that I was fortunate enough to have lived through.

I'm sure I have left out some cool cars and guys but this is from memory of events and cars from over 40 years ago with no research.

Please forgive an old mans stroll through the past. Soon I'll need someone to wipe the oatmeal from my chin.:D

17. Great stories, Tommy. I don't know how you can remember all those details. A couple of those guys, Boswell and Bland went on to do some roundy-round racing. I watched them both many times at the now defunct Beltsville Speedway. And I remember that 428 Cobra Jet Mustang beating a BBC Camaro one night on Geo. Palmer Hwy. I didn't know the owner then. It wasn't until years later we were working together and got to talking about the good old days. When I related to him the story about my amazement at seeing one of the very first 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs and the circumstances, he calmly replied..."That was me"........Great memories...Don.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Street racing was a big deal back then.

Yeah I helped Dicky build his first dirt car for Dorsey and continued to help some when he moved up to the asphalt Beltsville and Manassas tracks. It became a full time second job so I backed off. I'd get a call every year to come over and do his exhaust. I only helped Bland a couple times.

Smoker put some headers on the SCJ and took it out for a test drive... He wrapped it around a fire hydrant right in front of the Mo entrance. Of course he was drunk...that's how he got the nick name Smoker. He and Mr. Budweiser were good friends. Thank the lord he finally quit.

20. Clik

Clik

Tommy Kivet had a trans shop next door to my shop a few years ago in Forestville/Upper Marlboro. He retired and last I knew was living in Deleware. Dennis Cook who owns Custom Tubing in Upper Marlboro lives near him and stays in touch.

I did a job at a car dealership in Waldorf a couple of years back and (Richard) Boswell was managing the shop (VW, I think it was). That was the first time I ever met him but I had heard the name Dickey Boswell thrown around in the car world years before.

21. peddlr

peddlr

Man, You guys are bringing back a lot of memories. I remember Dicky Boswell and Jack Bland from Beltsville and Manassas.Spent many a night at both tracks. Another name I remember is Tito Fontanna. He had a red 39 0r 40 ford coupe that was bad to the bone. I think his family owned an italian resturant in Bladensberg.Anyone remember him?

22. Clik

Clik

Tito worked next door to me for a while back in the late eighties I guess it was. He was driving a gold custom pinstripped Lincoln. One of the last big Lincolns. I didn't know him very well. He was all cleaned up from when I had met him once before, back in his biker days.

23. It was a '40 Ford Coupe. His family ran Fontana's Italian Rest. on Rt. 450 in Bladensburg.

24. 58 John

58 John

Tito Fontana....wow that starts the grey matter moving..yup his family had a small resturant in the back of his house on 450 in Bladensburg, his Mom would cook up your order on the spot, so it would take a while and then she would be the waitress also..I think Tito also built a bright orange 58 Impala ragtop, maybe in 64, I think he ran B or C/MP with it for a short while. Another place we stopped by was the Citgo on 202. Seems like alot of guys hit there before heading home, not unusual to have 5 or 6 guys there at 2 or 3 AM on any givin' nite. Another name that came to mind was Dump Truck. Although his real name escapes me now, I think it was Charlie, He was the first guy in our area to have a 348 big block in a rod, Memory is fading fast here guys , was it in a 57 Chevy. Anyway the story is he took it out of a Dump Truck before they were available in the cars in 58,..hence his nickname....gota rest now way to much excercise for the day

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Another guy that I should have mentioned was Billy Armstrong. He was a fixture in our area. I first met him when he drove his chopped Deuce 4 dr sedan into the Mo. He was a kid then. A Deuce 4dr was unique enough but a chopped one took the cake. One of the guys used to kid him and call him butcher for cutting the lid on his sedan. Every time he would walk up Teddy would holler "BUTCHER!!":D I don't think he cut it because he was so young then. It was painted 68 GTO Verdoro green. (Teddy had a 68 Verdoro green GTO at that time.) He joined our club and asked me to box the frame. The club burned down before we got it done. He used his insurance money from the sedan to buy a chopped bronze Deuce 3w with black fenders from Calif. It was a fixture at Timonium and york for years. He collected more magnesium wheels than Halibrand. Of course they were 75 bucks a piece back then.:D Those were the good times that I'm sure about. Lots of rumors about what has happened since. I'll just leave it there. A good guy that became a good body man.

I'll bet that a lot of you guys remember him from Timonium and York but he was an early "Mo rat":D

26. Clik

Clik

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Yep The Newhampshire Mo in Takoma Park. The Queenstown Mo blocked this part of the driveway so that we were forced to leave the Mo and go out on the street to try to keep us from just going around and around to see and be seen. You had to drive through just to see who was there and show off your ride.:D It didn't work we still made the loop just using the street. It did create a small traffic jam some busy Fri and Sat. nights.

28. Clik

Clik

29. I know it can never be the same, but we are getting the first Sonic Drive-in for Anne Arundel County, Maryland sometime this summer. According to the Capital Newspaper it will be located in Edgewater next to the Walgreen's on Rt. 2. Let the cruising begin!:D....Don.

30. Clik

Clik