Register now to get rid of these ads!

Might Try Again: 1961 Chrysler Newport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tathataboy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

I bought a 1956 Plymouth Basketcase (formerly known as a "Savoy"), and it was waaaay the hell above my skill paygrade to bring back to life. Several folks have bought parts from it here. :)

Now I've got a hankering for a 1961 Chrysler Newport. Found it on Craigslist (same as the '56, lightning might strike twice). It's a 4 door. Has factory a/c and power steering. Crank windows. All glass is intact and good to go. Has all chrome. Floorboards are supposedly hole-less (though they've been patched in trunk and in passenger compartment).

Pictures don't look rusty. Description says it's got a good running 361, push-button tranny's fine, fuel/radiator/electric all working. Dashboard is cracked all to hell.

Needs (at minimum) a new exhaust system (not including headers), various bulbs replaced, new carpeting, door panels reattached (they're in the trunk). Probably needs brakes and shocks. Other more minor things. And a paint job.

My questions:
    1. What do y'all think it's worth? He's asking 2K.
    2. Does anybody know of any pitfalls to owning one of these? Besides my wife hating me and all my money going to the wrong thing? :)
    3. Are parts hard to find?

Thanks for any help. Since owning/parting-out the '56, I'm trying to be a helluva lot more prudent, and less cheapskate.

Mark

2. csimonds

csimonds

My good buddy has a "few" Chrysler's, 2 66 New Yorkers, both runners. and 2 55 Imperials. If the car is a runner driver and has solid floors than I'm sure its worth 2K at least. The white 66 my buddy has is a wicked nice ride and sounds great with 2.5in straights into series 40 flowmasters. You can still get parts for these cars you just have to look around, like anything else of course. Good Luck, and hey how about a few pics?
    Chuck

3. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Here are the pics the guy posted on his craigslist ad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

man if that was in my area id be driving it right now!! big and ugly.gotta love it.

5. csimonds

csimonds

Hell Yeah that Bitch is bad ass! Very cool ride
    Chuck

6. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

It's hard to beat a finned Chrysler for visual impact. The early-'60s Mopars are nice driving/riding cars, too - great cruisers. Most all that I have encountered need a standard front end rebuild (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.), so factor that in. And make sure the floors are as good as the owner says.

Parts are not too difficult to find. The 361 is essentially the same as a 383/400. Most suspension parts are available if you know where to look. Body and trim parts will mostly need to be source through swap meets, salvage yards and the internet - there's not much re-popped for these.

That said, you have to ask yourself how bad you want a four-door. Resale could be tough down the road. You could have fun in this for cheap, but I'd try to keep my investment to a minimum, because you won't see much return for it. The 2K price seems a tad high to me - maybe $1500?

If you haven't already, check out the forums on forwardlook.net for price comparisons and parts info.

7. csimonds

csimonds

To bad you aren't close to Carlisle, this weekend is Chrysler's at Carlisle. I will be there checking for parts for my buddy's cars!
    Chuck

8. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Thanks for the input! I had totally forgotten about that mopar site- I'll definitely check that out.

And yeah, I'm lusting pretty hard after those fins....

9. Taillight lenses are expensive and hard to find. Be prepared to shell out $100 or more per side. Maybe you can save a buck if you buy some that have faded out and paint them with model car candy red.

Look the rear frame rails from the rear wheel arch on back, over good. That's the worst rot area on these cars; also check the area where the front bumper brackets attach.

$2000 is a tad over the book price for a complete car that needs total restoration, but well below a "servicable" car that may need paint or interior but can be driven as-is.

That looks like a good car, let's not be destroying it parting it out if you find it's more than you can handle, that's a frequent mistake people make - they assume because they can't handle it, no one else can, and all they can do is part out the car.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I bought a '62 in about the same shape but with like-new dual exhaust and a decent dash for $1500, but the '61 is a little cooler with the fins. His asking price is in the ball park, offer $1500 and see what he says. They like to rust out in the rear framerails where the back bumper bolts on and where the leaf spring shackles mount. Inspect those areas well.

11. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Checked out the car this morning (it's in Wichita, I'm in KC). I won't be buying it. Since I've listened to the words of St. Eastwood (Book of Harry, Chapter Dirty: "A man's got to know his limitations."), the help the car needs was above me.

Same for the '53 Buick I looked at in a town 30 minutes west of Wichita. On that one the owner's definitition of "not rusty" and my definition were WAAAAAY off. When I can see the ground below my feet in the car, that perhaps means the floorboard is NOT "good condition."

Gawd, I wish I'd taken vo tech in high school. Especially welding. Oh well.

Nevertheless, I had a great drive to/from, stopping in little towns with fun conversations amongst nice people. S'all good.

PS: Speaking of little towns, to Mrs. Baumgartner, in the 47th year of running her own microscopic grocery store ("Bummie's Groceries") and grinding her own homemade sausage there, and doing it it all by herself now at the grand old age of 95: Madame, I salute you!

12. shuweet61

shuweet61

I have had my 61 Newport for almost 10yrs now. I wouldnt change it for anything. It was a complete basket case when I bought it. The guy I got it from was very motivated to sell due to a divorse. I got mine for a grand. Luckily it was complete as far as stock parts, trim, ect. Had usual rust issues which you find with cars this old.

The bad side... Parts are hard to find. Ive been lucky to find brake parts from Kanter and I have a parts finding catelog I found on line that lists different small buisinesses and yards that have old part. Seems like you can find up to 1959 and then 1962 on??? atleast thats my take.

The good side... you dont see these cars often. They sure turn heads at shows and there is always someone asking me what year my Cadillac is or is that a modified Chevy. Its a big car and fun to drive. How can you beat those fins?

I think mine is scheduled to be in Rod and Custom out later this month. December issue. Check it out.

I am happy to help if you have any questions. Drop me a message.

13. I looked at that car at the KKOA Nats in Salina last month. Very straight running and driving project car. If I had the money that weekend, it would've wound up in my driveway. This would make a cool cruiser for someone, for certain. It does have needs, but nothing insurmountable, by any means.

14. Look up disorderlysaint here. I think his is around the same year.....