Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG Welding Wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banzaitoyota, Oct 8, 2012.

1. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Curious about MIG welding wire. Currently using Lincoln Superarc L56 wire, doing a Floorpan replacement and rocker panel repair on an off topic car. Is there any advantage to using a different wire such as Esab easygrind or harris twenty gage brand wires?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus

I mig welded up a large hole (8" x 12") on my '56 Chevy floor. I used Lincoln .025 L56, with argon. I'm happy with the results, considering my limited mig skills. I'm more at home with stick electrode ac/dc.

3. less grinding= less heat= less warping

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

stick with mame brands. ESAB, Linicoln, Miller, etc. the Harbor Freight and other Chinese crap WILL give crummy results.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's also nice that Home Depot carries full spools of Lincoln mig wire so when you run out at 8 pm you have a place to get some.

Don

6. Problem is mate that most of those "USA brands" are now made in china, Im a welder and use alot of Lincon flux cored wire, about 2 years ago I noticed the country of origin had changed to China, sad but true as Im a big fan of buying USA made stuff. The wire is still of a very high quality and I havent noticed a change in weld quality either. I use a bit of Hobart wire from time to time and thats still made in USA.

7. snaptwo

snaptwo

a close look at the origin of some of HFs wire , not China --Italy ! I ran some of it with CO2 and it "wet out:" nicely .

8. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

Already using the,L56, need to see if there is a "better" wire out there

9. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona