Register now to get rid of these ads!

mig welding while on medical oxygen ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Jul 5, 2007.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my neighbor is a boat mechanic. he has a medical condition that requires him to carry around a little bottle of oxygen with the tube that goes to your nose. he wears the bottle on a strap hanging over his shoulder.

so I'm over ther B.S ing and he starts to weld something with his mig while the bottle is on and in use.

seems unsafe to me. he tells me oxygen isn't flammable.. well no shit, but it just seems to me that adding pure oxygen to a burning situation is an accident waiting to happen

what do you guys think??

2. I think you should stay on your own side of the fence. And program 911 into your cell speed-dial.

3. Nope- he better stop doin that or it could be a bad deal for him....

4. Well considering you aren't supposed to smoke anywhere near those I'm gonna go out on a limb and say welding is probably out too.

My mom and my grandmother were both lifetime smokers and on oxygen before they passed. They smoked till the end, but turned off the air while they were smoking.

5. Uhh.....Yeah, things tend to burn very quickly{i.e. explode} around the presence of extra oxygen. Maybe he has a subconsciouse desire to be dead instead of on a tank.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Is your insurance paid up ?,....... I would put the video camera on zoom and stand back.

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Flames and sparks love pure oxygen. 'Nuff said.

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

A very very brave man!!!

9. Oxygen is an oxidizer - it rapidly promotes the combustion of flammable materials, i.e. if there is a source of ignition it will make it burn hotter and faster - bad idea to introduce it to any welding/fuel cutting operation.

Steve

10. Yeah, its kinda all comin back now....
    KISS- used ta do that in all their shows......but it was on purpose in their case.....

11. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

He's right oxygen won't burn by itself but what will happen is a spark will hit his nasal canula ( that's the hose that runs from the tank to his nose) and it will burn his ass up!

I worked for a medical company for many years doing repair work on oxygen concentrators. That's the machines that produce their own oxygen. More than once we had machines come in burned to a crisp where someone had been smoking while they had their oxygen concentrator on.

A couple of the patients suffered some pretty serious burns to the face and head as a result.

12. That dude is in for a rude awakening..

:eek:

13. heinz

heinz
    from CA

Man, a bit of hot spatter in that mask would be really exciting.
    On the other hand, with medical O2, it would be a clean burn....

Sounds like a bad idea.

14. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

Is this guy old enough to remember Apollo 1? Thats how my parents made the point to me about oxygen and open flames.

15. Ask him if he remembers the Apollo 1 astronauts White, Grissom and Chaffe that died in the space capsule fire while breathing pure oxygen when a spark inside engulfed them in fire back in 1967,duh,,,,,,

16. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Yeah and those nasal canulas and mask are made from a vinyl material. When it burns it melts into a sticky gooey mess. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have hot melted vinyl burned into you skin :eek:. I hope I never find out!!

I would try everything you can think of to discourage him from doing it.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no mask, just the tube with the two outlets in your nostrils.

so if he got a spark in his nose, his head would explode.

this is an otherwise smart guy. knows a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff. he went on for 3 minutes about how it was safe.

18. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Oxygen and welding definitely not safe. That said, if the little tank is compressed oxygen as opposed to liquid oxygen, and if the tank is coupled to a demand regulator which lets out an audible puff of oxygen only when he inhales, and if the liter flow is set at around 2LPM, it probably isn't as dangerous as everybody is saying. Apart from what's in the tank, very little oxygen is in play. If in the unlikely event the tank blows, Yikes!!!.

If indeed he is using low flow demand valve regulated oxygen, my guess is he could probably not wear the oxygen when he welds. Both his doctor and oxygen provider should be made aware that he is using oxygen while welding so the situation can be remedied. Again, this is only a guess, the decision needs to be made by him and his doctor. Oxygen and welding definitely not a good mix.

19. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Oxygen and oil also bad.

20. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

The tube is a nasal canula, his head would not explode. It's unlikely that an explosion of any kind would occur but he could be burned and burned badly.

If the canula catches on fire it will burn uncontrollably until the oxygen supply is disconnected. Usually what happens is the tube will catch on fire, the flame will travel up the inside of the tube toward the oxygen supply burning everything in its path. It will even continue to burn underwater. :eek: The only way to put it out is to kill the oxygen supply then extinguish the flames.

You should have him ask the DME company that supplies him with his oxygen and supplies. They should definitely have information about things you can and can't do while on oxygen. Welding is a definite don't do. :rolleyes:

When I was doing service work on oxygen concentrators we had pictures and videos we would show stubborn customers, that insisted on smoking. We would occasionally give a demonstration by lighting a canula on fire. The pictures and videos did not always work but seeing a canula burning out of control and how difficult is to extinguish usually did the trick. :D

If he's a smart guy like you say it shouldn't be to hard to convince him.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's the one with the "audible puff"

I know his head would not explode. I was kidding.

22. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I like my neighbors extra crispy please.

23. It takes three things to start a fire spark, fuel, and OXYGEN duh! I worked on rockets for the government and oxygen can ignite almost anything to burn quite fast. My advice to you is move or just stay out he has a death wish. Please keep your family away from this idiot before you all die. Rags

24. I dunno... 'brave' isn't quite the adjective I would use. :eek:

25. brady1929

brady1929

it's is god's way of thinning out the gene pool. wait, he probably has already had children?

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tomorrow...oxy-tobacco welding! Just hold the rod and exhale...

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What colour is the cylinder, could be compressed air. Not all people have oxygen and as said before one spark if its oxygen and anything will ignite, petroleum based products spontaneously combust with oxygen.
    I use medical oxygen every day, I also used 'Gaseous dry breathing, Aviation' the most pure oxygen there is when I was doing High Altitude Parachute Operations in the Army. Supplied at 24,000psi I saw one ignite when the pig tail wasn't fitted right at a RAAF base. Yup that sucker made a BIG bang.

28. Gigantor

Gigantor

Man, what is it with you and insane friends and neighbors? Last week it was the guy welding without a mask, now this...
    Keep your distance and yell safety tips at them over the fence.

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

A guy at my father's hospice was smoking on oxygen, ignited, and went up like a human candle from the inside out. The oxygen tube your friend breathes with becomes a blowtorch, but that's largely irrelvant because the initial flame front will sear his lungs and do him in.

People with dire health often engage in risky behavior. If I was near the end, and that risk meant continuing the things I love, would probably take it too. However, doing it in your presence was not cool, because your timeline is longer. Good luck with a touchy subject

30. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Is he on the medical oxygen as a result of one of his other Darwin award winning decisions?