Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG WELDERS: I am looking to purchase a new one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Jan 27, 2010.

1. I am looking for purchase a new MIG wire feed welder. I am looking right at the $1000-$1500 range. I have been looking at the following:

Miller

Millermatic 211
    Millermatic 212

I like the 211 for the Multi Voltage Plug opition. 110 or 220.

Lincoln

Power Mig 180
    Power MIg 216

So I am just seeing if anyone has used one of these machines and can give me some feedback. I will be mainly using for my rod project and making jeep bumpers..

Thanks
    John

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Although its not on your list I've got a Millermatic 180. I love it. The little extra amperage in what you've listed would be nice too. Personally all I've ever owned were Miller products and I've always been happy with them.

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've had a little Miller for 17 or so years, not sure the model, but a small 110 type. It has never failed me. It welds anything I need to on my cars.

I would highly recommend any Miller product.

4. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I have a Lincoln175 and it is a strong little machine. I scored it for $450 brand new off of Evilbay.

5. 1959apache

1959apache

the higher amperage the better, but have you just looked at what they sell at lowe's home improvement? If you are a veteran you get an automatic 10% discount. I know that the car restoration that my buddy works at (where I get all sorts of free things) they have a 180 mig and a tig and that is all that they use.

I personally own a $300 or so lincoln 130 mig and have done 6 car/motorcycle restorations with it and havent had a problem.I have always stuck with lincoln welders and haven't had an issue with it after 10-15 years, other than the spool running out and replacing empty gas cylinders.

6. thebugbox

thebugbox

I have the Millermatic 185, older model, and I love it. However, for that price range, I'd probably get the Miller TIG unit. After seeing what Ron Covell can do with sheet metal and a TIG, well, I'm asking for one for my Birthday ;)

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/diversion_165/

It's around $1400 without the foot pedal, which is a must.

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

We have two multi voltage Miller setups, one is a portable unit, and we use one in the shop for smaller stuff. Can only tell you we like ours, and use them quite a bit. shoud be all you want for hotrod work.

8. the lincoln 180 weldpak for $700 for the non-profesional is a really nice unit. some people laugh at 30% duty cycle but that adds up to lots of welding for most people.

9. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I bought a lincoln 180 at Lowes that I use with flux core most of the time, I also have Miller migs and Tigs. one Miller I have had for around 25-28 yrs I don't remember having any issues with it, the 180 for most of your work should be fine

10. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Using a Lincoln 140 110V. Works great, sad my welds are not the same, but I keep trying. Sticking with Miller or Lincoln, you can't go wrong.

11. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I have an HTP 200. Just my opinion but it's the best thing since sliced bread, check them out here http://www.htpweld.com/

12. Thank you for all the input. I have a small flux core only right now. But need something bigger.

13. Another one to add to your list, the Hobart Ironman 230. Got perfect reviews from the sites I have checked out.

14. factor in the cost of a bottle with gas, a spool of your favorite wire, a GOOD helmet, GOOD welding gloves and take it from there.

if you ask me, i say go blue.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't remember the model number of mine, but it's a 220v Millermatic and I love it! Well, now that I've been using TIG for the last year, I love TIG, but if I had to only MIG I'd go back to my Miller.

16. papastoyss

papastoyss

I have a Lincoln 180 C, it has the reostat type heat control. You can fine tune the heat (voltage) for better results when welding sheet metal or turn it up for heavier metal. It will weld 3/16 in one pass. I would go to a 200 amp for anything thicker.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of my welders are blue, so are the plasma cutters. Miller has made me a ton of money over the years. Never had to do anything but replace consumables, except for one caster, that I waked with the forklift.

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Hobart 135 that was great for sheet metal. I sold it and got a Hobart 187, so that I could handle up to 5/16". I like it, too.

19. Drive Em

Drive Em

I'll throw a couple of other names into the mix, because most people only know Miller and Lincoln. L-Tec (now Esab), and Airco. I have had my 225 amp L-Tec mig for 24 years now and I use it every day. The only thing I have ever done to it is replace the liner. I have some friends that have been through a couple of Millers in the time I have had my L-Tec. I have used a couple of Millers, and it felt like I was welding with a toy compared to my L-Tec.

20. I have a miller 212. It's really a great welder.

21. I have an HTP as well...outstanding quality. Take a good look if your in the market.

Murph:cool:

22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I have a Lincoln 215 (precurser to the 216). It is a great welder. With the right setup, you can put in 0.023 wire and weld sheetmetal all day, or you can run heavier wire (.035 or .045) and it has more than enough power to weld 1/2" steel.

23. Bought a new Millermatic 230V #211.
    Love the thing, very powerful!

24. Koob

Koob
    from Bryan, TX

I also have the Lincoln 180c with the variable control. It has been great. I have mostly used it with fluxcore wire but just bought a bottle of Argon/Co2 mix and this baby is now really sweet. I shouldn't have waiting so long to get on gas, it makes such a better weld and not so much crap burning a hole in your skin.

25. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

i have a millermatic 175 for years...love it....go blue and get a GOOD self darkening helmet.

26. lowelife

lowelife

Lincoln 175 weldpack. Flux core and gas. Very nice and have had no problems from it.

27. buckable

buckable

I looked around last year and found the Miller Passport for about $1100. Wasn't buying into their claims of cleaner welds with CO2, but it really does a nice job, so no need to spring for the mixed gas. Also has adjustments for welding stainless, and a slow wire feed for the first half second that really cuts back on spatter and makes it easier to start a weld. Took me a while to get used to that after 40 years welding without it, but it works great. Auto-sensing dual voltage, and you can use a small CO2 bottle inside the briefcase for extra portability.
    Whatever you get, it's good to try one out first. Most good local suppliers let you do that.

28. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

well , I had a dan mig 140 mono 220 single phase for 35 + yrs never failed me once she has been dropped off the back of trucks smashed into a wall one time I supose i did 135 complete cars not including loaning it out and tons of chops and mods she gave up the ship about a month ago its got so much history with me I can not pitch, it but my experiance the ones you dont see for sale every where old miller 200 ,s and 35,s and dan migs cause they last forever just my 2 cents

29. No Cents

No Cents

I have always used Miller welders at my jobs and my trusty old stick welder is a Miller. When I went shopping for a wire feed years ago I finally bought a Hobart. Made by Miller, All the internal parts are the same as Miller even the gun has MillerMatic on it. I couldn't justify the couple of hundred dollars more just for blue paint....... Something to consider.

30. just traded some stuff on a miller dvi.
    It's the 220 or 110 plug- So far its great, welds like a solid 110 on 110 and a great 220 with the 220 plug. So far, I'm digging it.
    I use a 212 @ work and also a dynasty tig nearly everyday and have been converted to the blue team :D