Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG Welders, Hobart or Miller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrenchbender54, Jul 10, 2006.

1. I've been saving my hard earned green backs to buy a MIG. I've always been told that Miller is THE name in welders. But, I've talked to quite a few people that say Hobart makes a good MIG for the money. I'm looking at buying the biggest 110 v I can get. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Hobart because it fits into my budget, but is the Miller worth the extra $$$, or are you just paying for a name?

2. Gleeser

Gleeser
    from Taylor, MO

Hobart is made by Miller. There are subtle differences between them but if you're a hobbyist doing body stuff, you'll be fine with the Hobart. If you're planning on doing heavier "prolonged" welding, I'd save for the Miller. That's where these subtle differences will show up.

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Miller is the best. If your not using it everyday or making a living with it go with the Hobart.
    Miller bought Hobart out I was told.

4. krooser

krooser

Around here, Millers and Hobarts are about $30.00 difference in price...which would YOU buy with a difference like that?

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

6. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

hobarts are just as good as miller's!!!

7. Gleeser

Gleeser
    from Taylor, MO

You either have overpriced Hobarts or WAY cheap Miller's. The Hobart 125 MIG normally sells for around 460. The Miller 135 is normally around 550. The 135 Miller took a large jump in price shortly after Miller aquired Hobart. The 2 welding supply shops here are normally higher than 550.00 but both are running sales on the popular Miller models right now and are more in that range.

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

MILLER KICKS HEAVY METAL ASS. Well I also chopped the A coupe and welded it with a Miller.

9. One other advantage of the Hobart is, the local Farm & Barn store sells Hobart. They're open late and weekends, and they're just over the hill. The closest Miller dealer is in downtown LaCrosse, and they have bankers hours.

10. 1FATGMC

1FATGMC
    from SE Utah

I had an older 110 Miller and liked it a lot, but didn't totally trust it for frame work. I sold it and got a 175 amp 220V miller and love it even welding stuff thicker than frames. Save up a little more and get a 220 and you will have one welder that will do everthing good.

If you are welding something like a crossmember in you need a lot of heat at the joint to get good (safe) penetration and in my mind the 110 welders just won't give you that. Sure you can butt weld two pretty thick pieces that have been ground at a taper in more than one pass with a 110, but you won't always be butt welding.

If you are just using it for thin wall tubing and body work the 110 will work fine. I got the 220 miller for about $650 if I remember right (minus the bottle). You are getting mixed gas and not trying to use flux wire aren't you?? Just save a little longer and you won't be sorry later.

c ya, Sum

11. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Hobart are not made by Miller. But they're both owned by the same company - Illinois Tool Works (which also happens to own Weldcraft and a bunch of other welding companies).

12. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

My vote: MILLER, they really seem to last.
    My last 110V Miller lasted 15 years and would still be going if it wasnt for a little breeze named Katrina. I've only had these a few weeks so i'm like a proud father. (thanks State Farm):)

[​IMG]

13. I'm looking at 110's because I rent. If I owned my own place now, I wouldn't even consider a 110 over a 220. My garage barely has lighting, let alone a 220 outlet.
    To answer your other question, Mixed gas- yes, flux core- no.

14. Blair

Blair
    from xx

I have a lincoln, but have welded with both miller's and hobarts. Really there isn't much of a difference. I'm pretty sure the duty cycle is 35% for both the hobart handler and the small miller. I would buy the hobart if I were you. Simply because you won't know the difference.

Now if we were talking about a TIG, that would be different. But a wire-feeder? Really they all are about the same (except for the 100amp chinese POS welders).

By the way, what is wrong with flux core? Yeah it wears out the guide liner and requires more clean-up. But you can weld outside, it penetrates better and the weld cools slower making it less brittle than a MIG weld. Everyone always poo-poo's flux-core but I still use it sometimes.

15. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Let me let you in on a little secret.... they do the same thing just as well. One just has a "oooh ahhh" name on it. lol

Fact is, if you're a good welder you can lay down great welds with anything you can get your hands on.

People shouldn't bash flux. If done certain ways it retains its beneficial properties over gas, and it looks just fine. Here's the real problem... most people don't know how to properly setup a machine for flux, and that's why the welds look bad. haha

It's like when someone has a problem with the car after they fix it and they say "This car is a piece of shit". Maybe the problem isn't the car, eh? ;)

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have a Hobart and am really happy with its' performance and quality. I've come a long way learning to weld with this thing.

17. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

my mom got me a Hobart for christmas,and though i havent had a chance to use it yet,i know that she was told by pros to get the Hobart.i've also told a few seasoned pros which one she got me to the reply "that's a damned good welder" and i let my dad use it yesterday (it's being stored 70 miles from where i live) and he said it's a hell of a welder,so i'd say they seem quite good, judging from the input of people i know and trust.just my 2 cents
    creepy

18. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

I have a 220 volt hobart and a pos 110 volt wire welder flux core from HF after a little tweaking n a fan use the pos a lot more on small stuff I think if you can weld the machine aint important I was certified welder in Navy and have used a variety of sizes n types to back that up
    Ken

19. MILLA' !

I like to refer people really interested in welding over here

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

There's almost anything you want to know somewhere in there if you search.

Warning though, if you pop on there with the old "which welder to buy" without reading first you're likely to not get a reply or get told to go read/search...that question happens about twice a day.

One thing is for sure, you can not go wrong with Miller, I like my Miller 251 MIG & 180SD TIG, but would like to get a Dynasty 200 TIG soon.

Good luck:)

20. Not to hijack, but I have a Campbell Hausfeld 110 wire feed. It's new, like 4 years old now but has never been plugged in. It any good, or would I be better hauling it off to the swap meet and getting something nicer?

I don't have 220 into the garage here either, so that was the main reason I got a 110 - I figured I'd be doing mostly body work with it anyhow.

21. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

If I'm not mistaken, Millers have stepless voltage control which makes it easier to set your heat "just right". That might have something to do with why Miller is higher priced. Otherwise I don't think one can go wrong with any of the three "majors": Lincoln, Hobart, Miller.

[

quote=wrenchbender54]I've been saving my hard earned green backs to buy a MIG. I've always been told that Miller is THE name in welders. But, I've talked to quite a few people that say Hobart makes a good MIG for the money. I'm looking at buying the biggest 110 v I can get. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Hobart because it fits into my budget, but is the Miller worth the extra $$$, or are you just paying for a name?[/quote]

22. Hosspowerinc

Hosspowerinc
    from NC

I believe most millers do have the "wide range" voltage control. I have a Hobart and love it! I just adjust the wire speed and move a little faster to compensate for a too high voltage (with really is never). Ive welded 22 ga tubing, frames, even v grooved 1/4" with no trouble. I use it quite a bit, almost everyday. No trouble out of it yet!

23. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

my millermatic 135 kicks major ass. i practically rebiult my entire car, and it was great for the chop, welding any brackets i needed to frame

24. 1FATGMC

1FATGMC
    from SE Utah

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the flux-core and it does the things you describe, but one of the great things about the MIG with gas is the no cleanup and great looking welds.

With my first Miller the 110 I got the reg. for straight CO2 since I was given a free bottle. It worked good and I believe like the flux it penetrates a little better than the mixed gas but the welds don't look as pretty as the mixed gas (just as strong or stronger). The mixed gas with the 220 Miller helps to make me look like a better welder than I am:) .

One word of caution to any of you using a MIG for the first time. You can get great looking welds, but you will find they are laying on the surface. Be sure you are getting penetration. Look at the weld puddle as you are welding and look for "color" in the pieces you are welding to make sure your weld isn't just on the surface. "V" notch what you are welding if it is 1/8 inch or more and if you are using a 110 be especially careful.

The MIG is one of the best tools I've ever owned.

c ya, Sum

25. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

I've got the HH-140...pretty much what your looking for. 110v and with proper set up it will do up to 1/4. I was in the same situation as you and I spent the morning at the welding supply shop and the owner walked me thru all the 110v and this was the one. I was out the door with a bottle, tips and 10lbs spool of.045 for a little oover 7 bills. No regrets this welder kicks ass..

26. I have owned and made my living with Hobart welders for about 31 years now- I still have the very first one.a Beta Mig 200 amp 220 volt
    [I now Own three at the present time]...and a 110 Lincoln:D

Welders are like women, you cant have too many- as one might leave ya setting when ya least expect it:) .....

BUT-Whoever actually makes them-The 110Hobarts are gradually degrading in quality lately - I think if buying a NEW Hobart I would spring for the 180 Amp 220 volt machine it is- $649 new.150 more but worth it
    - The Millers are good too.

27. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

true blue baby!!

miller is where its at

130xp if you are not doing any frame work if you are get up into the 250

28. 34underglas

34underglas

I have been using a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 for over 10 years now, the only problems I have had have been my fault. I also a Lincoln "cacker box" 220
    for the bigger stuff.

Vance

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. banjorear

banjorear

I believe Miller/Hobart have very simular if not the same guts. I would second the advise of buying a machine with stepless wire speed and voltage. It makes fine tuning the weld a breeze.

I'm 95% certain that Miller does own Hobart. Main difference in the 110V welders that you are looking at is that Millers still use metal feeders/tensioners & the Hobarts (for sure) & the Lincolns (I believe) use plastic/composition which should be fine in home garage applications.

I personally believe in overkill when buying tools. If you can swing it & have the power in your garage I would recommended purchasing a 220V machine for it will give you more options later on without having to purchase another machine.

You can't go wrong with either machine, but Miller is a great brand with excellent product support.

Good luck.