Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG Welder Question, Hobart Beta-MIG 200

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg460, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Whats up guys,
    The bodyshop I work next to just upgraded all their welders and I got the chance to pickup an old Hobart Beta-MIG 200 for real cheap ($100), but its got a few issues. The spec# is N6331-2, and by the serial number it looks to have been built in '83.

First, I'm told the wire feed mech. is broken. Any common problems I should look for? Also, anybody know a source of parts for an older machine like this?

Second, it has settings for stitch welding, but the control knobs have been broken off the front panel. I'm thinkin I can bypass this function, since I plan on only using this machine for heavier (over 1/8" thick) metal. Any problems with that?

Thanks in advance,
    Justin

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Thanks, yeah I did a search of their site, but since they were bought out by Miller in '96 and the welder was built in '83 they seem to have little to no info on it.

4. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

I've also posted this on the Hobart website forum but no answers yet...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best thing is to ask the local guy who does the welder repairs. The good thing is just like Miller or Lincoln you can usually get parts for the Hobarts.

If the thing works and will do what you want it to do, for 100 bucks I'd buy it and use it until it died.

From snooping online it looks like you have already been to the Hobart forum. I'll stick with my first suggestion in that you should go ask the local guy who repairs welders and that is probably at the welder's supply or connected to them. He may even know that particular welder and what is wrong with it. And if it is worth the effort and expense to fix it. You might be better off buying one that is in good working condition and ready to go.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Shit, I didn't even think of calling the local guy before, I'll have to give 'em a ring in the morning. Thanks man, good call.

7. Koz

Koz

I used to have one. One of my favorite machines ever. Very smooth and once you learn the machine you can make it talk to you. Mine was new when I got it so may be a bit different but I loved the machine.

I just picked up a Miller 211 for sheetmetal. Frankly, not that impressed. Probably a decent home shop welder but not for any seriously nice stuff. The Hobart was a vastly superior machine. Worth fixin'.