Register now to get rid of these ads!

Midnight Madness Change over

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by ThingyM, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well, Now that I have my Altered all ready to go..Now its time for my HA/GR to become an SDRA car..The chassis is stripped of everything and going to set in a mock up 300" Ford and C4 trans.So I can build mounts and cross members as necessary. I found a 9" ford rearend that was set up for a Pinto So I think I'll use that as it has the same tread width as my S10 rear does. Also thinking something in the ratio of 3.78 gears for the rear. I'm gonna see how fast I can complete this change..But like everyone says. "The hurrier I go, The behinder I get"....

2. Old28

Old28

Great news Dick, with your shop & tools my money is on it being ready in time for the next ANRA race end of August.;)

3.78 are the same gears I have in my 8.8 rear end.

I had Papa Joe take a tech look at the car and he went over it with a fine tooth comb. Only a few small items. I did have to relocate fuel regulator as it was to close to the flexplate cover (most clear 6" or more). I have to re-weld a couple of places were it was ground. I new they would say something about that, no biggie.:rolleyes:

Sure will be fun to have a second SDRA car to race and maybe we can talk gary with his flathead/C4 to put on a set of 6" radials for Saturday rounds. I have not heard from Skip Pipes in a month or so, I will send him a PM and see where he is at on his HA/GR to SDRA change over.

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Excellent! :cool:

Great news, Dick. Hell, the brakes, steering, etc, etc, are all already "road" tested, should be a lot of small things already done that usually slow a build down. :cool:

4. ThingyM

ThingyM

Yep.. Going to use the front end, Steering and components. Master cylinder and brake handle, Etc. Even the gas tank and necessary lines..But the chassis does have to get a good Rustoleom paint job......

5. Old28

Old28

PICTURES / PICTURES / PICTURES :):)

Not much into reading !!!!!!!!!;)

Summer Nationals are gust around the corner.:rolleyes:

6. bobw

bobw

It's great to see you back in the game.

7. Old28

Old28

Yo Dick, any think happening on the car??????????????:confused:

August race is just around the corner.:D:D:D

If I get my seat back from the upholstery guy, he is doing a black pleated insert with some foam for my big a--, I am ready to make a street run. I hope to make a Friday T&T later this month.

8. ThingyM

ThingyM

Not to much, As we have been busier than a cat covering poop at the shop.. I do have the engine on the stand and starting to take it apart. And the chassis is going to be blasted and powdercoated, Then I can put some of the things back on it.. They said that the motor has a "Clunk" in it so I will have to dig into it and "Fix It" first...Can't make ANRA with it, But I will be there with the Fiat...

9. Old28

Old28

Powder coated, nice,nice,nice.:)

What did you find out about the Fiat stuff?:confused:

I got my carbs set pretty good, had an oil leak on a side cover and I am getting a little from a seam on the pan section that was added. I am going to clear the area and JB Weld it. I converted the points setup to a Pertronix unit and tested it today, looks like it will work fine.

It has been 99-100 for the past few days and I have ran the motor in the garage for 5 min or more with the water pump & electric fan on and it has not got over 195 deg as I play with the RPM's. I will tell you that this little 194 sounds nice with just a cam in it.:D:rolleyes:;)

10. ThingyM

ThingyM

The springs were in the wrong popits, The 20# spring was on the main and the 2# spring was on the return,,, So there ya go.. we all overlooked that part..OK now.....

11. Old28

Old28

Well Dick, that just shows what to many hands in the pot can do.:rolleyes:

Glad it was a simple fix and that the motor oiling system changes worked out. We will see you in August, should be about the same temp as we had in June, HOT-HOT-HOT.:D

They call for 99-108 temp for the next 10 days, Dixie, Me & Dog are going over to Morro Bay on Thur for a few days of 65 deg fun.:cool:

12. ThingyM

ThingyM

Got the block torn down.. Everything looks REALLY GOOD.. The bearings are like new.. Can't figure what the Clunk sound might have been Maybe just a bad lifter.. The crank is going to Henry Velasco to get checked out and polished. Checking on some better rods and pistons. George over at Clay Smith is going to grind me a new cam. The one thing that bothers me is that the rockers are pedestal mounted.. Those new dudes cost alot of $$$$$ Will get back with it tomarrow...

13. Old28

Old28

Found this on the web about removing the pedistal mount, cutting the tower bosses, putting in Chevy studs and running SBC or BBC roller rockers depending on cam spec. Looks the same as you did on the 194 head. :):)

Glad the bottom end looks nice. Are you going to build fab intake or use one 4bl aftermarket intake?

Nice to see your making progress on the modification.;)

Rocker swap on 300 six

[​IMG]by 300 I6 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 am
    I would like to know what all I need to put the chevy I6 1.7 rockers to ger more lift with stock cam on my 85 300 I6?
    300 I6Posts: 5Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:27 pmTop
    Re: Rocker swap on 300 six

[​IMG]by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 am
    The existing studs need to be removed.
    The rocker arm bosses need to be milled down to allow room for the screw-in stud hex.
    The correct rocker arm geometry should be calculated based on the cam you are using.
    That will give you the correct pushrod length. If you are lucky the stock pushrods (or dealer available optional extra long ones) will be close enough to work. Otherwise, custom ones are required.

You may be able to short cut these directions - for example, use the existing pressed-in studs if your engine is so equipped - but taking the time to do it as I outlined will make for a more robust system.
    FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

[​IMG]
    THE FRENCHTOWN FLYERVIP MemberPosts: 3783Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:25 pmLocation: FRENCHTOWNTop

[​IMG]by 300 I6 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am
    Is there a easier way n cheaper cuz I've been reading a little on the rocker swap with using the chevy rockers out of a inline 6. I don't no if my 300 is pedestal mount rockers or studs it's a 85 motor but looks like it would be easier just to put a cam in it.

[​IMG]by StrangeRanger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:11 am
    Pedestal mount rockers are held in place by a bolt and have a round pushrod hole; stud mount rockers are held in place by a locknut and have a narrow pushrod slot.

If you have pedestal rockers, you will need to add pushrod guide plates in order to do the C***y rocker swap. The stud mount rockers with the narrow pushrod slots do not require the addition of guide plates.

Whether you swap in an aftermarket cam or merely change to high lift rockers, you should put in a set of valve springs sized for the increased lift. If you have a phenolic timing gear set it is also an extremely good idea to swap out to a metal one when you do either the cam or the rocker swap.

FWIW specs on the stock cam are 400" lift at 268°advertised duration 192°duration at .050" and 112°LCA
    The change to the C***y rockers increases the lift to .435" and increases the duration at .050" by a very small amount.

The closest aftermarket cam is probably Crower 19211
    .426" at 252°/192° intake
    .440" at 258°/196° exhaust
    112° LCA
    1996 F-150 (tow missile)
    1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
    1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
    2006 Mazda 6i (daily driver)

[​IMG]
    StrangeRangerVIP MemberPosts: 7553Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pmLocation: Copley, OHTop

[​IMG]by 300 I6 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:08 am
    Thanks guys that helps alot but what year chevy rockers do I buy fit my 300? Did chevy make a pedestal mount rocker or just studs?

[​IMG]by StrangeRanger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:16 am
    You want the 1.75:1 rockers for a 194/230/250/292
    No pedestal rockers for the C***y
    1996 F-150 (tow missile)
    1993 Mustang 5.0 (hot rod and auto-x monster)
    1982 Tiga Formula Ford (SCCA racecar)
    2006 Mazda 6i (daily driver)

[​IMG]
    StrangeRangerVIP MemberPosts: 7553Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:54 pmLocation: Copley, OHTop

[​IMG]by randysvan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 pm
    Can anyone suggest a machine shop that is acquainted with this type of modification? I talked to one locally and they looked at me like I was nuts.
    '86 Ford E250, 4.9, Carter YF, Duraspark 2

randysvanPosts: 47Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 8:06 pmLocation: Nashville, TNTop

[​IMG]by tom954x4 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:02 am
    http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=50
    machine shop recommendations
    1995 F-150, 300-6, 4x4, ex-cab, sb, 3.08 5-speed, 2 1/2 in. exhaust w/flowmaster 50, MSD + ignition upgrades, canopy, 169,000 + miles Gone but not forgotten: 1965 F-100 240 3spd lwb "the green hornet"; 1991 f-150 300 5sp 2wd sb, 1960 F-250 4x4, 223 six, 4sp with wrap-around rear window, two-tone paint.

[​IMG]
    tom954x4Posts: 350Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 pmLocation: Twilight zone, WATop

14. ThingyM

ThingyM

I found the "Knock".. There are a few teeth missing on the cam gear..Do ya think.??? hahaha.. Went to pull out the cam, Discovery time...I'm getting an Edellbrock Alum Manifold for the 4 barrel. And the exhaust header plates, I'll make my own headers...

15. Old28

Old28

Is it a fiber gear like the Chevy? Hope they make an aluminum replacement as I would never use a fiber gear again after the 194 motor problem.

After reading the material on the rockers, it looked like a simple job to convert to a rocker stud and roller rockers.;) You got the tools to do all the machine work.

Ya Dick, when I build the bigger motor I am going to run a 4bl carb, a lot more efficient than 5 - 94's.

16. Old28

Old28

What's happening on the car modification?:confused: Your keeping us in the dark for to many days.

Information & Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

17. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well guys.. Haven't been feeling up to par lately, SO I went to the DRs and I get told that on the 15th of Aug. I get to have surgery and have my Gall Bladder removed.. DRs say I will be sore for a few days, But should be fine after that..Got some real plans for the swap.. See ya guys a little later....Dick..

18. Old28

Old28

Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday, you must be on a first name bases at that hospital. Give me a call when your out.

Still on for the ANRA race if you decide to take the altered. It's going to be hot/hot/hot like last time so don't push it.:):rolleyes:

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Dang it "DAD", get well!

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hang in there Dick, we'll keep you in our thoughts. Heal fast.

21. bobw

bobw

Seem like, "It's always something". At our age.

Good luck with the surgery and heal fast.

22. Old28

Old28

Hey Dick, whats up with the SDRA rebuild, real quite on your end?;)

Are you going to run the altered at the ANRA Final?

With just a little good luck I should have my ride at the track if for no more than a good T&T Session.:eek:

The extra orange belt you gave me for the water pump is to big, how do I measure this so I can get you to make me a new spair?:confused:

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, Dick. "Concerned people" are beginning to get nervous. :confused:

24. bobw

bobw

"Inquiring minds want to know"

25. ThingyM

ThingyM

Been kinda in the dumps the past few weeks.. Seems nothing is going right on this end. Business is awful, and we are just struggeling a bit. My race car is parked for for the remainder of the year. Will just have to wait and see what happens in a couple of months..Maybe I might have to pull the plug on racing for awhile...Will keep you posted...

26. Old28

Old28

Dick, Sorry to hear about your business, hope things turn around in the near future. Just talked to my son in MI and they are about a month out from closing their doors on a "RE-BATH" bathroom remodeling business.

Sure hope you can still race in the future, but the business is first and way more important.

Keep your head up, you will get through it.;)

27. bobw

bobw

Sorry about the setback with the racing. Maybe you could just work on the parts that don't require hardly any money. It will keep you in the game. Always good therapy to be building something.

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom.. We aren't going to close the doors, But just slow enough to keep us from doing what we like to do..I'll still be putting around with parts But slowly...Thanks guys...

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hey Dick, I'm going to be down by your shop next week. I'll likely come by after I see my customer.

30. ThingyM

ThingyM

Well,, Here I is,, Not in very good shape, But here I is..Been having some real set backs, Eye surgery that went sour, Now starting to come back..Heart problems that the DRs are still trying to find.. But what the hay, I'm still breathing..Got the lower end of the 300 all sewed up..Now for some head work. New Clay Smith Cam coming. Need a good 2800 --3000 stall converter.. Intake is being designed in my head. Probably a single 4 barrell..Going to use the stock tri Y headers with the extension megaphone..Going to try to do some things next week.. Heading to the March Meet on Friday...