Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mid Life Crisis 62 Vette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 12, 2023.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I've been going through a midlife crisis (no problems with my wife, I'm just realizing that I'm starting to get old!) so I got the itch to get an early Corvette. I haven't been looking too long, but it seems decent project cars are kind of hard to find...so I felt lucky when I did find one that was priced right and in about the right condition. Some assembly required, which is OK with me, I like jigsaw puzzles.

I have to go back to LA to get the engine from the machine shop. It's a 327, I have no idea what all has been done or needs doing yet.

The rest of the car seems to have been used and mildly abused and then taken apart and got a paint job, but never got put back together. Then decades later got taken the rest of the way apart for a complete body off the frame restoration, which didn't really get started past the disassembly phase.

I plan to put it all back together, replacing some stuff like rubber parts, and the things that are missing, and buff out the red paint and maybe some new interior parts and get it running and drive it around and see how it fits me. I don't plan to make any significant changes from stock, at this time. Then maybe try to make it go fast, or decide it's fun enough, or pass it on. We'll see what happens.

vette2.jpg parts.jpg

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Cool car and congrats on the acquisition. Corvettes have grown on me over time, moreso after I've been able to separate my feelings for the cars from that of their owners haha

3. I love me a good @squirrel build thread.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I like it. Congrats on the find. I’ll be watching.

Deuces, Stogy and Tow Truck Tom like this.

5. BJR

BJR

You did better than I did with your mid life crisis. I bought a new Fiero.:(:eek:

6. Wow! An early Vette! I like your plan for it.

Hnstray, Deuces, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

@lumpy 63 ......another one that needs a tunnel ram.

brEad, Deuces, enloe and 8 others like this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Waaaayyyy Cool....I found one that, like your's, needed a lot of love and fixing up......started life as a red car,
    then white, now black...they are really fun. '62's are very desireable. Keep us posted on the progress.

9. 62rebel

62rebel

Full size AMT kit

lewk, Deuces, enloe and 5 others like this.
  10. Look out "Race Of Lemmons"! Squirrel is back in the game!

Toms Dogs, Deuces, enloe and 4 others like this.
  11. Good job,they are really nice simple cars. I had a '62 for 15 years and traded it for my '40 convert 44 years ago. I drove the Vette enough miles to rebuild the engine and replace kingpins twice. Wouldn't mind trading the other way now.

OahuEli, Deuces, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. deuceman32

deuceman32

Good one! Our Squirrel finds a nut every time.

OahuEli, Deuces, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Awesome, first generation ( I hate the C1, C2 crap) corvettes are fantastic cars and fun to drive. I love my 61. I am sure you will have a blast with yours...
    46C3DEBA-3B08-432A-98E7-6B7CA8BE3B07.jpeg F2B0B744-D45E-4F0D-8871-4BFFE7FA34FE.jpeg

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, but those tail lights........:D

mkubacak, Whoamel, Hnstray and 14 others like this.
  15. 2935ford

2935ford

TV show Route 66......well, the '62 Vette was the one I wanted......good luck and enjoy! :)

Deuces, enloe, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Uh oh, you do know that early Corvettes are addictive don't you? Once you get one you can't get it out of your system. I had a 58 and a 59 and now would like another (but can no longer afford one).

chryslerfan55, Deuces, enloe and 3 others like this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Easy Chris , your gunna get Mark all bent at me again:p besides , you know Jim will put a 671 on it:cool:

chryslerfan55, OahuEli, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. Welcome to the HAMB '62 Vette owners club. Next month I will have owned mine 51 years. Here it is the day I bought it in 1972. 62_vette___old1.jpg

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know if you hot rod it, the 'Vette guys will chase you with a stick.

-Abone.

20. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I certainly wouldn’t need a crisis of any kind to buy that, lucky dog! Colour me 3 shades of green. And all apart, talk about a big boy model kit! Did I mention I was jealous?

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations!
    I think maybe, it's exactly what you needed. Well, probably exactly what all of us needed.
    LOL
    But I can see you as "that guy" in the nice red sporty Corvette.

Still, for some reason, an image of a snarly firebreather launching off the line at the drag strip comes to mind, too.
    Must be your track record.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think you should get that original engine and build it stock and set it on an engine stand for reinstallation if you ever sell the car.
    Then you should build you something with a lot more hp for you to drive it around while you have it. You know you are not gonna be satisfied with the 327 when people next to you rev their engine.........Good find though.:)

23. squirrel

squirrel

The 327 is not the original one, so it doesn't really matter what I do with it.

wicarnut, Utahvette, Deuces and 18 others like this.
  24. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Squirrel, whatever you do with it I am sure its going to be cool. I cant wait to see the build thread.

chryslerfan55, Deuces, enloe and 3 others like this.
  25. noboD

noboD

I know they were rare but I have heard some of these came with a blower sticking through the hood.

OahuEli, Deuces, enloe and 4 others like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A big block goes in sooooo easy.

Corvette + 427 = :eek: :D

LowKat, Blues4U, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@squirrel this might not work for you but I'm driving to Phoenix first thing Wednesday morning to pick up a seat for my Ranch Wagon. If the stars will align I could pick up the engine in LA and you could meet me in Phoenix for the exchange. Let me know if interested.

chryslerfan55, Outback, brEad and 8 others like this.
  28. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

All is right
    :D
    ,:cool:
    ,;)
    .:)

Deuces, Stogy and Bob Lowry like this.