Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mickey Thompson valve cover question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noclubjoe, Feb 6, 2012.

1. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Was this style M/T cover made in a straight bolt pattern for a sbc? only ones i have seen are in a stagger pattern for the older small blocks. i really dig the look of the full fin without the circles punch outs for oil fill, pcv, or whatever

mickey thompson.jpg

2. Yup, they made the non-staggered ones as I've got a pair hidden somewhere in my garage. They do look cool without the knockouts.

3. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

are you willing to sell them to me? :D i really want a pair!

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

photo........

Attached Files:

5. Actually, the staggered pattern ones are the harder ones to find. I've got a pair of of non-staggered ones that I ran on one of my old 327s. They've been stashed in the garage for years.

6. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

so thats 2 of you guys that have these covers stashed in the garage!, so anyone want to sell?:D

7. My set is was used on an early 327 with a short water pump, and if you're familiar with that set-up, the alternator is placed where the backside of it hangs over the driver's side valve cover. Because these covers are substantially taller than the stock valve covers, I had to lightly grind back a few of the fins on the end so the alternator would clear. It's not visible with the alternator installed.

I also just left a message with a buddy who has set as well. His set is non-staggered, but has provisions for an oil cap or an oil beather. They also have Chevrolet cast into them in a small 1.5" raised circle. His would work better on a later engine with a PVC, mine would work better on an early engine with a fill tube and and no PVC.

Both pairs are for sale. I'll send you a PM with additional info.

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

There's one other option in old MT's. The "no logo" square bolt MT's
    [​IMG]

9. Ohhhh, I like those!!

10. See the M/T style for non staggered bolt pattern at the swap meets all the time. They made millions of them

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without the oil knock outs? I`ve seen 5 kinds,1st all fins,2nd Thompson script,3rd M/T without engraving bar,4th M/T with engraving bar,and 5th newest style with oil knock outs.Just an observation.

12. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i had a set like this, bought them at the iola swap meet when i was 16, i gave them to my dad about a year ago.... at least they went to a good home

13. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

did you look at the pic? i have not seen many this style, i know that millions of them were made in non staggered bolt pattern but most all i have seen have the knockouts in them

14. What about the ones with the slash going backwards M\T like this ?

[​IMG]

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

look again. no knockouts. I bet I sold 50 pairs of various aluminum valve covers in my ebay days. only found 2 pair like the ones shown in 5 years of full time parts selling. probably sold 25 of the kind with the knockouts.

they also made them with just fins and M/T. they didn't have the raised part. then there is the small M/T ones and I heard there are SBC valve covers with "thompson" on them, but have never seen a set.

16. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

swade, wow! those are neat, didnt even know that they made ones with a backwards slash! too cool.

so were all the different stlye covers made at the same time? or are some older? i know that the older ones say "mickey thompson" on the inside of them and the newer ones, probably 70s-80s do not say anything inside......

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swad41: I`ve never noticed ones with the slash going that way,COOL! I need to look over the few pair of that type I have. Never have found any "Thompson" script kind in 45yrs of flea marketing. I feel any of the no-knockout types are pretty rare to come by compared to the newer knockout ones.