Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Mickey Thompson speed equipment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by QuakeMonkey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

When did Mickey Thompson start producing speed equipment? And was it more common in serious racing circles versus on, say a hopped up daily driver?

2. The oldest M/T catalog I have in my collection is 1961. It is mostly speed equipment. Later, he added mag wheels and headers 'n stuff for the street crowd. His primary income to start with was from Pontiac for racing, development and to set records as he had befreinded Bunkie Knudson and Pontiac, at the time, was allowed a a racing budget.
    That relationship lasted well until late Jan '63 when GM fobade Pontiac to be involved in racing of any kind. At that time, Mickey struck a deal with Ford. But, by then M/T speed equipment was well established.

Steve

3. QuakeMonkey

QuakeMonkey

Thanks for the info Steve, it's very helpful. I figured his speed equipment came out a little later than the Nicson/Edmunds/Thickstun/Edelbrock era stuff, just wasn't sure specifically.

I've seen a set of breathers I like, but I suspect they're a little late period-wise for my build.