Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mickey T Valve Cover Question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddychris, Jun 24, 2007.

1. I'm working on my dads 35 chevy, and a buddy pointed out that the bow tie emblem on the M/T valve covers is reversed ( the angle of the ends is reversed and the top and bottom of the "tie" is round). These were purchaced in the mid - late sixties by my mother as a fathers day gift to my pop. They are made in Japan, so I imagine it is some kind of mess up, or a non licenced copy? Is this a common thing, or does my dad have something special. Just wondering.

2. squirrel

squirrel

years ago I saw a 55 chevy with repro dash trim that had all the bowties backwards (the trim is aluimnum with a billion tiny bowties embossed and painted black). I think it was a licensing thing.

I don't know about the m/t covers, is the bowtie on the inside or outside?

3. These look like you're run of the mill SBC M/T's. Bow tie on the left in a circle with chevrolet across the center, and another circle on the right to cut out for a breather. Finned aluminum, polished at one time, but now a little greyish due to sitting for fourty years. I just that it's odd, ya know. It's not like they changed their logo cause all the 35 bow ties are regular. Just the fact that they say 'Made in Japan' on the inside, shows their age. Nothing has been "Made in Japan" for years. Hell, even Jap cars are'nt made in Japan any more. More for discussion, than to find out if they are worth anything. I have no intention of selling them. Too much sentimental value.

4. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Chris
    Much of the chrome/polished aluminum speed equipment back in the late 60's to late 70's was made in Japan. All the speed companies did this including Holley M/T, MR Gasket, Rocket, etc. Today it's made in either Taiwan or China.

The covers you have are fairly common. Probabaly purchased in the very late 60's or early 70's (versus your dad's recolition of the mid 60's) as the sbc covers in the mid to later 60's did not have the round holes for the oil fills etc. because the oil fill was a tube in front of the engine and there was no pcv valve at the time.

In '73/74 Holley/M/T deleted the bowtie and just went with a peppered background on the one hole and the other hole had the word "Chevrolet" printed out.

Your covers were not "counterfeit" That is how they looked.

5. Thanks guys! Yes late 60's early 70's is about the time my Mom remembers buying them from Sears for my dad. She said that they were like $50 or so, alot of money for them back then, with 2 kids and one on the way.

I was mostly curious about the reversed emblem, was it a licensing thing, or what? Seems like M/T could worked out something with G.M. to have them facing the right way.

Even though they might not be rare or anything, it's still cool to be able to run 'em on pops car after all these years of being stored in the barn.

I'm gathering more info on the car and it's history... so stay tuned. I'm gonna do a post on it. My dads had his car since '59, And it'll finally be back on the road, for him to enjoy, after 40+ years of storage.

Thanks again-
    Cad