Register now to get rid of these ads!

MHRA official info thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ruiner, Aug 14, 2006.

?

What should the MHRA stand for?

Poll closed Oct 13, 2006.
  1. Minnesota Hot Rod Association

6.1%
  2. Midwest Hot Rod Association

24.2%
  3. Screw that name, we can find something better...

69.7%
  1. Ruiner

Ruiner

so what do you guys think of Hot Rod Syndicate for a name?...we should all list our top 3 favorite names and see how it narrows down...

Hot Rod Syndicate
    Traditional Rod n Custom/Kustom Alliance (TRCA or TRKA)
    Midwest Rod n Custom/Kustom Alliance (MRCA or MRKA)

2. Hardway

Hardway

Johnny,
    The offer to use our local Minnesota based forum to gather locals to do what you are trying to do still stands and will stand. The forum has members who are people from several small clubs and people that aren't in clubs at all. There are even a few there that don’t even yet OWN a running rod. Our forum is yours to use if you choose to. Nobody at the forum is "in charge" per se. Yes, a couple of us (who became the Traditionals through friendships made on the earlier yahoo group) put it online and maintain it. Somebody has to maintain it. Somebody had to buy the domain name. Somebody has to see that spam is dealt with. But…nobody is “in charge”.

It's a cool idea (in theory) to do what you're trying to do. You’ve mentioned numerous times that you want no structure, etc. I’ve found over the past year that I’ve been attempting to “bring local small clubs together” to do this sort of thing, that some sort of minimal structure is necessary or it just doesn’t work. Believe me, we tried. Without structure nothing gets done and there is no direction. Leadership doesn't necessarily mean that one (or even more) are the sole decision makers. It also doesn’t mean you need articles of incorporation, board of directors, dues, or bylaws and rules. The one thing you DO need to accomplish the goal you have set is organization and a core group willing to volunteer to help make things happen. There is no getting around that.

You already know I'm willing to help however I can. MNRATRODS is just a gathering place for our area enthusiasts. There is no "Traditionals agenda" behind that offer. The Traditionals is a separate entity altogether and the only relationship between the mnratrods forum and the Traditionals is simply that a Traditionals member has volunteered to host the forum on his server. I didn't really want to go this public on all of this, but I seem to be having difficulty making that relationship clear.

My offer was, and is, that you can feel free to use our local forum in your effort to organize. I just thought that since the infrastructure is already in place, why not use it rather than start at square one. If square one is where you “want” to begin, feel free. We were just trying to be of some assistance.
    Scott:cool:

3. Dr_X

Dr_X

I know Minnesota is called "The Gopher State", but dont call it GSHRA. A quick google search said GSHRA is some homeowners group in The Middleeast somewhere. I didn't read the whole thing.

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

we'll see if we can't incorporate the members that have joined via the HAMB into the mnratrods forum group...it would be nice to set up a central location to do planning in between meetings...I'm gonna print out some flyers once we choose a name, something to hand out at the Hot Rod Barbecue at Chris' (koachwerks) place, and other events, to drum up some new members...but we need to figure out a name...I'm going to send a group e-mail tonight sometime with a list of suggestions that we can put to a vote via everyone's top 3 picks...

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

alright folks, after an early tally of some e-mail responses we've got 3 names that a lot of folks seem to like, but we need to decide on whether it'll be a minnesota or midwest thing, or an alliance or association thing...the 3 names at the top are

MTRA - Midwest/Minnesota Traditional Rod Alliance/Association
    MRKA - Midwest/Minnesota Rod n Kustom Alliance/Association
    Hot Rod Syndicate

myself personally, I like the Midwest/Alliance combination, but the Midwest/Association isn't bad either...the main reason I can see against using Minnesota is because it might keep some people from joining from other states since it seems so restricted to just one state...personally, I've narrowed down my selection to a top 2 now...Hot Rod Syndicate and Midwest Traditional Rod Alliance...the last one seems to fit well with the red,white and blue shield logo I had been thinking of, and the HRS is just cool as a cucumber...I could just see a website with all of our "mugshots" on there, just for kicks...in fact, I've been thinking about asking the local cops if they'd take a mugshot of me, just for fun...we'll see how that works out, maybe they'll just keep me there...hahaha

6. Just my .02

Why not........

Traditional Rodders Group

7. Ruiner

Ruiner

hmmmm, I like that too...we'll have to throw that in the mix...

but first I've got a serious question for all of you...should we keep going with what we're doing here, or should we just join up with the mnratrods forum and just help out there?...Personally I don't see the problem with having two groups working together, and honestly I really think we should all sign up on that forum anyway just so we can all work together closer...whether or not we're two seperate entities I'd like us all working with the mnratrods group and helping with whatever we can do for them...I dunno, I thought this was a good idea...I just want us all to get along, there's no reason for any hostility or anything between any of us...let's just get stuff organized no matter who's doing it and have fun together...but the question remains...should we still start this group? I want to...

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

http://mnratrods.phpbbnow.com/ for those of you who aren't aware of the forum, here's a link for you to go check it out and sign up...it's still a fairly new location for the group, but the group itself has been around a while...so sign up and post an intro and get to know some of the locals in the area a little more...thanks...

9. Scotch

Scotch

I hadn't heard about the "Traditionals" before reading Hardway's post. After seeing it, the concept sounds similar. It'd make sense to strengthen one organization rather than having two similar ones.

Still - I want to get involved with this. We'll talk about it at the BBQ and figure something out.

I still like the Syndicate name, but only because I thought of it. I ain't gonna lie...

See ya soon~

~Scotch~

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

I still like the Hot Rod Syndicate name too (I think that's what you were referring to)...I can't wait to meet you guys at the barbecue, I just wish I had something better to drive...I'll have to work on that for next year...

11. percula

percula
    from Minnesota

Heck johnnyxcliche, anything you are bringing is better than what I have. (which is nothing) :(

I will be the one in the apron

Bryon

12. Ruiner

Ruiner

I take it you're Chris' brother? I don't have anything cool on the road yet, just my old beater truck (94 Ranger)...hoping to have something on the road after this winter (lots of beer and propane gonna be wasted in my shop this winter)...

13. so we are back to 2 clubs again? or is Mn RR a sub group ? I like the group don't get me wrong ,but i'll stay w the parent club and events,I'll just participate at the MNRatRod internet forum level alone, I like the local aspect -----

made my point-

Like I said in the email, i'll just stand back and wait for the dust to clear,I am not quiting, just waiting

14. or..
    MIDWEST HOT ROD SYNDICATE MHRS
    my 2 pennys:eek:

15. Ruiner

Ruiner

I like it...I like it even more than Hot Rod Syndicate...but that still leaves the question of what to use for a logo?...the red,white, and blue shield logo would look pretty silly with something as serious as MHRS...or maybe change the colors around...black on the top 1/3rd, 5 white stars, dark gray and white vertical stripes...hmmmm...that's not half bad...I wish I had a way of drawing that up and coloring it on the computer to show you guys...

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

MN RR is and always has been it's own group, nobody branched off from anyone else...and as for right now we (this group) will be continuing on the search for a name, as long as there's people willing to back me up...

17. koachwerks

koachwerks

Just read through all of the posts (was out of town for the weekend) and figured I would finally chime in again.

1. I say close the polling booths and call it Midwest Hot Rod Syndicate as Breeder suggested. It rolls off the tongue and sounds bitchin!
    2. Not sure yet about the colors. Johnny, you bring up a good point about it not fitting with the name but grey, black and white seems to easy. Let's put a little more thought into that.
    3. Yes Johnny, Percula (Bryon) is my older brother, and he's damn good with his fancy smoker. I'm not suggesting you kiss the cook but at least shake his hand for the great meal your going to get!
    4. I have nothing else...

Chris

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'm still torn between Midwest Hot Rod Syndicate and The Hot Rod Syndicate...I'm leaning more towards the Midwest version though...

as for colors, maybe we should just stick with the red white and blue theme...or come up with an entirely different logo altogether...I still like the 3 point shield as a base for the logo, but was also thinking of a 5 point crown as the main logo (again, symbolizing the 5 state "midwest" region)...so what about a large 3 point shield with all of the lettering inside of it and a crown in the center with Est. (crown) 2006 in the middle of the shield...or you could put it like this...all inside a 3 point shield...was thinking a darker orange background color with black lettering and a white stripe outlining the 3 point shield with a thin dark orange stripe outside of that...I'll bring it up at the Hot Rod BBQ and have a drawing or something to show you guys...ok?

Midwest

Hot (crown) Rod

Syndicate

19. Scotch

Scotch

Now it's starting to sound really bitchin' to me...

! ~See ya at the BBQ~ !

~Scotch~

20. percula

percula
    from Minnesota

Man Bro, now I have to live up to something. But hey if you like it, remember me for your next get together.:D

21. Ruiner

Ruiner

tell you what Bryon, if we (the MHRS) plan a spring BBQ we'll definately find a way of paying for your services...I was thinking of having a core group pot luck with 10 or 15 people bringing dishes and side dishes, and whoever else shows up can share with that and bring stuff if they choose...I was thinking of a city park in St. Paul for a location, it's got a big enclosed firepit for some fun, bathrooms, picnic tables, garbage cans...we'll have to talk about all of this at the BBQ...the toughest things to plan are having people bring food and actually show up, getting donations for the BBQ and having flyers printed and advertised...but that's all for future meetings...I can't wait to get together with you guys...

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have one for you,.......:cool:

T.U.R.D.
    Traditional United Rodders Delegation, .........:D

And by the way I'm a member of the real MHRA "Road Knights".
    (don't take the TURD thing seriously,..... I'm just messing with ya' )

23. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'll get someone to close this thread down soon...I wish I could re-name it...oh well, I think it's official...we're the Midwest Hot Rod Syndicate...and don't worry about the TURD crack, I'll send Vito out to deal with you...hahaha

24. kool..what did i win???:D :p
    it only took our club about a year to come up with a name for our show next year...prolly 30 names,one year, lots of bickerin..all that and we used one of the first names that was thought of!!!:rolleyes: silly;)
    and the TURD thing is funny SHIT!!!:D [ couldnt help it,sorry:eek: ];)

25. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

I agree with those that see Michigan Hot Rod Association when they see MHRA. They have been around for as long as I can remember. Thier "Hot Rod Repair Trailer" is a fixture at many shows and they have bailed out a lot of poeple who have break downs.

26. Ruiner

Ruiner

you win a signed autograph by yours truly...if you hang onto it for 30 or 40 years, or pass it down to your kids it might actually be worth jack shit...or I could give you a nickel and in 30 or 40 years it'll be worth 5 cents...

27. koachwerks

koachwerks

Not exactly what you were thinking...

Chris

Attached Files:

28. 32viper

32viper

Sounds like you are recreating the wheel - MSRA has it covered.

29. in the words of the great HOMER S........WOOHOO!!!:D :D :D

30. Ruiner

Ruiner

WHAT? the MSRA puts on "look what my wallet bought me" shows, with crazy high admission charges and such, that's not in any way, shape or form of what we're doing...we're doing free events, they're more concerned about earning money (which is how they intended on running their group, it's not like they're sell-outs as far as I'm concerned, they have a huge overhead with their events)...we're trying to bring this back down to our level where we can go there and have fun without 20,000 people breathing down our necks and without the outrageous prices for food and admission...as far as I'm concerned we're nothing like the MSRA in our goals...