Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEXICAN MERC 50...... pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, Dec 20, 2007.

1. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

Why no satin? I think It would look awesome in satin :D and I know the body work will be perfect, nothing to hide I mean.

2. sled

sled

Oto Moto,i'm a big fan of satin but historically you have to keep in mind what's a traditional CLASSY kustom....has to have a deep gloss finish,to be a killer...
    Check it out the old mags and pics (Rickster website is the worldwide reference to look at) and then you 'll see what i mean...
    Probably one of my next Mercs kustoms will be a satin finish...but not this one.Have in mind a marble depth gloss finish here...you'll see!!

3. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

Jeah, I bet it will be nice. Also I cant wait to see it in person :D:D:D, say hi to Tom and tell him I'm waiting for that email. Do you got any sketches or drawings for us?

4. sled

sled

Guys,as soon i will be back in my shop i'll take more updated pics on the Merc,been out for a while ....but the projects is going on anyway

5. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

you've got 7.here in South Africa I only know of 2.one is a custom,the other one I'm after,seeing that it is sitting in a scrapheap at a fools house & he doesn't wanna sell yet,he'll come around.Sweet cars man!!!

6. sled

sled

SpDDmN,yeah...i know,i'm SICK!!!Actually last night i met an old friend o mine and he's into kustoms too...and Ta-Da!!!
    Some other mercs came up for sale locally...a 49 and a 50 ,both coupes in very solid running conds..and i had a map already in my hands to find 2 more 49 tp 51 coupes in a junkyard somewhere in the countryside...which i will jump on early days next week...
    and another 51 coupe ,running and solid which i plan to buy ...
    I mean,there are more....Mexico is a goldmine in my opinion,havin so much fun...never found another place like this where i can fill up my terminal sickness,so more news comin soon....

7. sled

sled

Off Topic here...did i mention that another guy i know has an original 1 owner perfect conds 49 coupe inerithed from his dad??
    And another frieend o mine get from his mom a 51 Monterey in very nice conds too...gave him some small parts to complete it at it's best...
    well,i think i can go on and on...
    i feel lucky,really...
    good luck on getting the south african one mate...

8. Magnus B

Magnus B

Updates from Sled:

Hey fellas,finally back in action...well,been workin on swiss cheese since awhile lately but due the shortage of time i could only now update the thread....lot on the go in many directions but here we go...
    The rear end in both sides is totally gone,as usual i have to apply the same treatment...build the whole new part from scratch...of course since i don't have the english wheel yet i've built a wooden buck to create the same countour needed...
    pics later on about that section....
    the trunk floor has a pain in the ass too...all butt welded by now,and aprox 2 weeks in the fu###in trunk,but is comin out decent...get rid of the spare tire section too.
    still not decided where the tailights will go....will see!!
    More to come shortly....Sled

Attached Files:

9. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Well,i don't have the shapin pics on the rear end section,but you'll see the before /after result anyway....with a wooden bucket i get the desired contour on the left side...
    I'm currently building another for the right side too...
    The previous panels on the rear where totally wrong,similar to original but nothing fitted...now checking with the new trunk lid id fits almost perfectly,no gaps ...some little tweakin and i'm almost there....
    Standin to the new panel was satisfactory...will follow the same process on the right side shortly,to soon test fit the trunk lid....
    Also the whole rear end is much stronger now,and all in 1 piece frinally...
    Built the external 2" lip that surrounds the whole rear end too...all in 1 piece by now!
    Is comin slowly togheter,but the rear section was really fiddly,to say at least...
    days and days just gone to put the puzzle togheter without see the light,but i can startin seeing the light by now ...

Attached Files:

10. Magnus B

Magnus B

Rust! It never sleeps.

Attached Files:

11. sled

sled

Magnus B,thanks as usual for the pics.....i'm pretty much done by now,but i keep workin on the Merc,so more updates soon....Sled

12. mid-century-cruiser

mid-century-cruiser
    from combine,TX

Great to see some more progress Sled. Lookin' great. Ken

13. sled

sled

Hi Ken,thanks...what about yours???Are you workin on ???Post some pics if you can,i'm curious to see it...
    From my side i'm pushin hard,and have some of my other Mercs already close by stored so i already choosed the best body parts rto speed up the project...
    Both doors,trunk lid,full front end and 3/4 panels are in need of minimal work so i can really go faster sooooon....
    lookin for a 9" rear end also,curious to mount it and see the actual stance...

14. chad

chad

That is some very beautiful workmanship!!!!

15. sled

sled

Chad,thanks for the kind words...too bad is rainy season here and the light is poor to take bright pics..anyway,more updates are coming asap...

16. mid-century-cruiser

mid-century-cruiser
    from combine,TX

Sled, haven't made much progress lately on mine. It's been way too hot here to enjoy it, and too much work at the real job. Plan on hitting it hard as soon as it cools off a little. My plan is to someday get around to starting a build progress thread similar to what you are doing with Swiss Cheese and posting all of my pics I,ve taken along the way. Later, Ken

17. sled

sled

Ken,i see....well,yeah,i know what you mean...already a hard task and if you have to suffer even more is no fun at all...
    It's rainy season here and is nice and cool...just perfect for such work!
    In 1/1 and half months rain will be over for another 6/7 months and you can practically work outside,clean and shine...lovely!
    Still today i'm pushin on the Merc and made some more progress...pics will be posted soon!!!
    Will be nice to see yours showed up here por all Hambers pleasure,we can't get enuff...soon,Sled

18. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Wooden bucket right side ready to roll...the paper on the fenders is just to know the amount of sheet metal needed,probably today or at last tomorrow this section will be shaped!Can't wait to have the english wheel,is a big time saving on such stuff...
    Will save the wooden buckets anyway,always useful...
    Luckily i have a very nice hood,requiring almost no work on it....
    As you see i started the bottom trunk flange also,needs more more rounding and shaping of course,but is comin up well too...
    Soon the full trunk area wil be over,makin the job much faster in other sections being the panels more accesible...
    The trunk lid will will be entirely clean,probably will an electric switch only...and an emergency hand cable in case of electric failure!
    Still undecided where the to mount the tailights...always loved em in the bumperettes,an old style trick ...give a very clean rear end wiew!

Attached Files:

19. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    More on the rear flange lip on bottom of the trunk...That's only 1 side first and on the last pic i shaped the other side that goes welded togheter...still some curving and adjustin but you get the general idea ....wanna get rid of the trunk area soon,got enuff there...

Attached Files:

20. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Still some comparison from the old/new part....very tedious stage but there is no way back.Tomorrow will keep going on also...more news soon,hope you don't get bored here...

Attached Files:

21. vein

vein

inspiring work for all of us! keep up the good work! Its work like this that keeps me going!

22. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Repeated the building process on passenger side ,but i had the chance to show the hammering thing...still needs more bendin but you get the idea.Again all by hand since i don't have the english wheel or planishing hammer..

Attached Files:

23. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Cleanin time!!!It looks not so bad after that patching ....Well,still a long way to go but at list is refreshin to see some shiny spots...had already cleaned up the trunk lid and the doors by the time i'm writin..
    Wanna get rid of the trunk soon,looks that i'm ages that im stuck there...i hate it!!!
    more news soon....

Attached Files:

24. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Wow!! I wish I wasn't afraid to tackle something like that with my own cars; then maybe something would eventually get finished.

It's going to be bitchen! Can't wait to see the rest of the story.

25. sled

sled

I'm workin alredy in the trunk lid too,luckily the replacement i have is in good conds,same as the doors..so,more updates soon..sled

26. Kafi

Kafi
    from Hungary

Go Tommy go-go! It's so amazing! You're the king of metal...

27. tonupkid

tonupkid
    from belgium

really amazing work tom!!!!!!speechless!!!!u are indeed the "KING" of metal!!!! cheers,pete

28. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Sled, you are my hero. Amazing work.
    If that car were mine, and came back from sanb-blasting looking like it did when you started, I would have wadded it up like the piece of scrap aluminum foil it was and tossed it into the trash can. I dont know what amazes me more... The gumption you had to tackle this project once you saw haw bad it was, or the piece of art you have turned that rust bucket into.

And to think you did it without the tools the so called "experts" take for granted.

.....Just AMAZING!

29. mikes51

mikes51

Sled, thanks for keeping us posted. Are you located in the desert or high altitude? I'm wondering how all that fresh metal seems not to have any rust starting to show on it. You must have some real dry air where you are.

30. sled

sled

Kafi,Tonupkid,thanks for the kind words...yeah,this Merc still has a long way to go but does not scare me at all...ok,at list another cool car will be on the road for long time,much longer than us for sure...i like the idea!
    I realized that the back area was slightly smashed to add a cherry in the pie!
    So,i used the trunk lid of my 49 Merc Which is in much better conds but then i relized the upper contour is totally different,does not fit with the previous one....
    well,you know the answer...redo it again!!!
    and day by day a surprize,but i will speed up once i finish the tail section..fiddly at list!!
    Also is a great satisfaction now cause every new piece shines on and gives more push to make more...
    Stay tuned,more to come soon...Sled

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010