Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metric vs non-metric power steering pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Picked up a 81 camaro clip today for my 59 chevy pickup. I am going to be running a 327 with a short water pump in it and no accessory holes in the heads ( camel humps). The power steering pump that came with the clip is the metric style. All the brackets that I see for mounting a power steering pump with a short water pump call for a non-metric pump.

I have two questions:

- If I get a non-metric power steering pump, will it work with the power steering box on the 81 camaro clip?

or

- Does anyone know of or has built a bracket that mounts to the two holes on the front of the block ( early motor mount holes ) with a short water pump and the metric power steering pump?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Fitting on the back of the pump can be removed and replaced with an older one with the inverted flare if needed. Metric pump will work fine with an older steering box or vice versa so you could use an older pump with the metric steering box. Lee MFG makes inserts to convert the metric pump to inverted flare if needed. In your case I would just get an older pump, put the metric fitting on it and run a pressure hose with the newer metric oring style fittings.

3. badshifter

badshifter

Is it a Metric pump with the built in reservoir, or remote?
    Alan Grove makes brackets for the Metric non reservoir pumps, and I've used their non metric brackets on metric reservoir pumps by making different spacers.

4. Thanks for the quick response guys! The pump is the attached reservoir style, but it looks like it needs to be replaced anyway. If I can just get the older style pump and just swap over the fitting I think that is the way I'll go.