Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metric speedo faces for '46 Ford: Who makes them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. chrisman

chrisman

I need one or I won't pass the inspection, and hoped someone repops them.

2. Chrisman - I have not seen much in the way of repo parts for these speedos. I do know that I took the outer bezel off my original speedo and it popped over the Classic Instrument Gauges I used. The units have to be supported from behind with brackets.

You may talk to classic Insturments and they can make you a custom metric face plate for their unit.

Good luck.

3. chrisman

chrisman

Yeah, that can be an option but may be a bit pricey.

It struck me now that it's not the face itself I need, it's the glass. That's where the numbers are attached.

Another option is to find a speedo from a european-sold '46

4. yeah you're right the numbers are painted on the glass! You could find a good striper and get it repainted.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Silk screen--isn't that done now with computer graphics? Somebody here knows! Manipulate a picture of original numbers to get 0-160 scale in right place.
    All Ford speedos were available in metric--my father's one owner '48 has a metric speedo, since it's an export car...pegging that speedo at 160 is much more thrilling than 100!
    Lots of '46's were sold in Europe. 1942-48 speedos will fit your dash. Steal the '42 one from Lars?? I think silk screen would be safer--I think a shop that does custom T-shirt printing could point you toward someone capable of doing this.

6. chrisman

chrisman

Excellent idea! Unless he threw it all in the bin when he put in that cool '51 dashboard.

I'll check into the screen printing thing, that might work.

Thanks for the help!

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Excellent idea!" Uh-oh...I think I'm in trouble...Lars is gonna come squash me with his 1,000 hp Merlin rod...
    And I'm probably now legally an acessory to a felony in Sweden...

8. Mutt

Mutt

Most vinyl sign shops can make a mask to apply to the glass that will add metric numbers. Very inexpensive.

Mutt

9. DrJ

DrJ

You might just borrow it to scan for a silkscreen template to copy.
    It's just on flat glass isn't it?

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Metric speedos are great things to have--my '48 kept unsuspecting friends in a chronic state of anxiety as I rumbled through school zones at 50...
    I once went through a "slow to 25 MPH" on ramp at 100, actually about 60...the person riding with me thought he'd had a near-death experience!

HEY--anyone out there have a metric speedo for a '32??