Register now to get rid of these ads!

Method? Removing primer to reveal paint. 50 Ford Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kursed56, Dec 24, 2012.

1. kursed56

kursed56

I finally have a 50s project. Picked up this 1950 Ford that needs some lovin'. Body seems pretty straight, Im hoping that the previous owner just sprayed over the original paint. Im wondering whats the best method to remove the red primer, not harming whats underneath to reveal the original paint? The shiny areas are from being in the rain earlier in the day.

The car is pretty decent, needs floor and trunk pan work. Needs fuel tank flushed, new brake lines, cylinders and master need installed. Original flathead has been rebuilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like an excellent start. Floors, trunk, rocker panels and lower cowl areas are typical rust areas. Do yourself a favour and swap out the old gas tank for a new Mustang tank. Easy swap, especially if you're doing the trunk floor anyway.

Lots of good info in the Shoebox Group...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=127

3. kursed56

kursed56

Big A, Thanks. Any particular year for the mustang tank? Im sure its cheaper than a replacement tank.

Im trying to just get it able to go down the road and stop for now. So the trunk will come later.

Thanks again.

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

try some easy-off. i had a primered vw and easyoff did the trick, revealing the patina underneath. yellow can. grocery store.

5. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

Like others have said, looks like a great starting point. Always loved the lines of the business coupe. Guess I'd grab some thinner and a rag, find some spot and rub away and see what's under the primer. I agree with ditching the crusty old gas tank, I used a stainless tank from Rock Valley.

Shoebox

6. noboD

noboD

I've stripped the top coat with acetone too. Try differant things in SMALL areas.

7. ...I'll bet a cheap paint stripper would take a lot of that primer off...
    Nice lookin Ford, you got a good one.

8. IronTrap

IronTrap

I've had luck with oven cleaner (easy off is one of the good ones like mentioned). It isn't going to be easy.. grab some pizza and beer and call some friends over to lend a hand and you can probably get it done in a weekend.

Good luck, looks like a nice unmolested base.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Grab some 1500 grit and carefully start sanding. Once you see the original color JUST starting to show, STOP! After that some polish oughta give you back whatever is left of the original paint....I think, lol.

10. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

11. kursed56

kursed56

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input and comments. I cant wait to get the car home and start getting into it.

So the mustang tank just sits flush with the trunk pan instead of underneath, right? I like the idea of having the filler inside the trunk and filling the filler door. Ive seen some replacement "plastic" tanks too that seem pretty decent.

Big A, Ill check out your build thread, looks like some good information.

12. mr50s

mr50s

Hey kursed56,

Looks like you and I are working on the same make and model Shoebox, and someone sure took care of yours over the years. Congratulations!

Using the Mustang tank as a replacement is probably less money off the top, but you do have to adapt it to your trunk floor which means the floor metal needs to be sound on all sides of the new tank hole. Don't know if yours is or not.

My solution was to buy a new repop tank from www.tanksinc.com for $230 plus shipping. It's got the original factory shape and mountings, installation was hassle-free, and it fits like a glove. Job done.

Wish I could advise you on how best to reveal the original paint on your car, but I can't. However, I do have copies of Ford factory information which would allow me to determine what your original paint color truly is. That way, you'd know if you're sanding down to the original color, or a more recent repaint.

To get this answered, look on your cowl/firewall area and copy down all the stamped numbers and letters that make up your car's Cowl Code.

When you post this information, I can pick out the letter that indicates color and tell you what it is.

mr50s

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Nice schewbaux ya go there! Except for the red oxide, it could be a twin to my business coupe.

I'm not seeing any big areas beneith the primer that still contain much factory paint:eek: The lighter ''ghost'' areas showing through the primer are areas that have been ''repaired''. It's doubtful the rusted areas showing through the primer contain much, if any original paint either:(
    I just hope you arn't setting your self up for disapointment when the primers' removed to expost little, if any original paint;)

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

14. kursed56

kursed56

Hey guys, I have another question. Looks like the radiator might need some repair. As with the gas tank does it make more sense to just replace both these items instead of trying to repair/recondition?

Ill have a lot of questions as this is my first attempt to build a car.

Thanks Mr50 Ill get those numbers as soon as I get the shoebox home.

Thanks

15. I know guys have used the Mustang tank but it has a filler at the back of the tank...gotta open the trunk to fill it. The Fairlanes and comets also used a drop-in tank with the punched flange around the outside edges, like a mustang but had a side-inlet filler.....you can re-use your original '50 filler if you want.
    I used a 66-67 Comet tank in my 49 coupe but hated the original 49 filler...I ended up filling my tank from the trunk.. and filling the hole in the driver's quarter panel for the original oogly 49 filler.

Attached Files:

16. kursed56

kursed56

Rocky, mind filling me in on what you did to get your box to sit down nice and low like it is?