Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Metalshapers, losing a valuable resource.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdscotty, Aug 9, 2016.

1. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Once again in searching for info I was directed to the Metalshapers site, only to find this announcement. Am I late finding this out?

http://metalshapers.org/

heavily edited "Very shortly MSA will run out of cash to support the website, and the site will shut down. The last day the site will be available is August 15, 2016."

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a changing world

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I would hate to see the art of metal shaping fade away and enjoyed visiting MSA to browse the skills of many who shared their unique talent with the masses.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Would behoove one of the major metalworking machine/ hand tool companies to take it over.

BradinNC likes this.

5. did they have alliance memberships?...........hint hint.

slack likes this.
  6. Legendlives

Legendlives

It's a shame that a lot of practical skills will be lost due to greed and lack of foresight by government and industry.
    Back in the 50's, 60's & 70's there were a plethora of apprenticeships for practical skills, paid for by industry and subsidised by government. I spent 4 years at work/college to get my qualification, the 'equivalent' (wholly government funded) certificate today is attainable in six weeks. Either I am retarded or modern qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on, and you therefore have to question the skills therein.

slack, Texas Webb and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

I spoke by phone with one of the co-founders of a metal site, but not sure which site. This was years ago, and he said it was a hobby, not for profit, etc. Maybe it was time to let it go, if it was a hobby that overwhelmed?

8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A 'shame'? No, it's a crime. Certainly not a stipend of the Constitution.
    Rules are being ignored...

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Perhaps interested parties will take over the site and keep it running like Ryan did with fordbarn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. ironrodder

ironrodder

Had the pleasure to speak with Terry before his passing several times on the phone. Never had the pleasure of a face to face.
    Our lives seemed to somewhat follow the same path.
    I know MSA was his passion. Sad day indeed.

12. cfmvw

cfmvw

I know several employers in the area who are having a hard time filling trade positions (welding, machining, sheet metal working to name a few) because there simply aren't enough qualified candidates. I've worked at a couple of places where they would bring in people from a temp agency who had zero aptitude for the job that I was expected to train. Many lacked basic math skills, and I was amazed at the number of people who couldn't even read a tape measure.

On a brighter note, both SMCC and YCCC have waiting lists to get into their machining programs, so that is an encouraging sign...