Register now to get rid of these ads!

metallic paint mistake. I have a run! Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

So I made a big boo boo. I would post pix but the camera does not show it at all really. So, The run is more like a sag. About 3 foot long. So, what can I do to help this out? I am new at metallics and got in to big of a hurry. I know my mistake, but what now to fix it? Do I have to sand it all down? Any suggestions will help.....

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I hate to tell you this you will have to repaint ,As soon as you try to sand the run out it wont match top coat ,

3. 48cad

48cad

I'm guessing it's a single stage metallic? If you would be more specific as to what products you are using, it would be helpful. Single stage Metallic is more difficult and less forgiving than a bc/cc system.

4. choptvan

choptvan

figured so. Sand it all down and start over?

5. choptvan

choptvan

my mistake. bc/cc and the base is getting dry now.

6. 48cad

48cad

I assume run is in the base? If so, relax no biggie. Step 1 - walk away and let the base dry. In general re-coat window for most bc is 24 hrs. Step 2 - sand run out, metallics I like to block to 600 grit. Step 3 - re- base it. don't get carried away with laying it on to heavy. Gloss is achieved with the clear not the bc. Step 4 - Clear it.

Good luck. Don't get in a hurry. Read instructions and msds sheets.

7. choptvan

choptvan

I got in a hurry for sure. THe heat had me concerned. Should have payed better attention. Just wasn't sure about how to take care of metallic. I was told, as you noticed, that taking care of metallic is an issue. So I thought I would ask. The bc is drying now. I will sand it out. I was laying it on thick caue it was turning out wrong (?) in me eye. Should have just done a few more light coats tehn I guess? I thank you for the words and your time.

8. mustangGTS

mustangGTS

Excellent, clear and to the point. quoted for truth!

9. choptvan

choptvan

thanks again guys

10. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

if your paint wasn't flowing you might have mixed it too thick then tried to compensate by applying too much paint. been there done that. the most crucial part of the paint job is mixing it properly. all this nonsense about which gun sprays smaller particles is mostly BS. if the paint is mixed correctly, it will flow out well and sag ONLY if you aren't paying attention.

11. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

take your time on the clear.......it will run easier

12. choptvan

choptvan

mixed 2-1. Just like it was supposed to be.

13. choptvan

choptvan

done that already. Again, I just was not sure about the metallic issues. Thanks again

14. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

The advice I was given for metallic BC/CC is this:
    If you run the BC you're an asshole
    If you don't get runs in the CC you didn't put enough on to cut and buff.

So yeah, base goes on pretty dry. Just get coverage and focus on getting the metallic even, then bury it all in the clear.

15. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA!! Then asshole I am! HA ha!

16. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

At this point it can't hurt to block the whole car and recoat with the base
    The end result will be an awesome paint job

17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

thats funny crusty!!... basecoat is damn near impossible to run BUT it does happen. one thing about base is it dries quick..ive even wipped stuff out of it, waited a bit, sanded it again and kept going. make sure when you clear, you pull out anything that gets in it after each coat, without sticking your elbow in something else of course..:rolleyes:

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Metallic base -- concern is to get even coverage. Don't worry how it flows, that is what the clear is for. I dust on the last coat; that is move back alittle more, move across the panel faster and overlap each pass more.

Hey, another thing on metallics, keep the metallics mixed up in the paint gun. I set the gun down for a little bit and then went back to finish a panel. Had to respray that.

Neal

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  19. 48cad

48cad

LOL I was thinking the same thing, I was just trying to be nice for a change. You really have to work to get a 3 foot sag in the base. I'm curious how the clear turned out?

20. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Just so you know, I'm not calling YOU an asshole. Just passing along the advice I was given.:cool:

21. choptvan

choptvan

thanks for the vote of confidence dick. I am sure you have never made a mistake! HA!

22. choptvan

choptvan

why not? I could be?!

23. Abomb

Abomb

What this guy said....I turn up the paint volume, turn up the air pressure, step back and let it fly on the last coat....fast and dry though. I think the pro's call it a drop coat, it helps the clear grab onto something, but it also helps eliminate any "stripes" you may have in you basecoat.....

BTW, who cares what you do with the clear, but it's easier to cut and buff a really wet job with a few runs than a whole car that's covered in orange peel or dry spray.....:D

24. choptvan

choptvan

very true. I am correcting to problem in just a few minutes....

25. 48cad

48cad

Let us know how you make out. Be careful on the last coat tooo dry can lead to adhesion problems. It's a fine line. And just so you know, anyone that paints has made mistakes and lots of em. Correcting your mistakes is the key.

26. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you. I am fixing it now. Damn flash times.... I will post a pic. So far, so good. Real good actually. Thanx again.

27. Not to steal your thread, but if it happens again or any of you guys have a little sag, or drip, or even a bug or trash.....you don't have to wait until it's all dry and ready before you sand.... :eek: the hell you say??!? No, let it flash till it's dry to the touch, then wet sand it using wax & grease remover instead of water---put a little in a Windex bottle and keep it lubricated(wet down). Wipe the residue off pretty often too.
    All this from somebody who gets in a hurry sometimes :eek:

28. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

yes, i have done the same then realized that i needed more thinner. 50/50 is just a starting point. IMHO....