Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Metal working question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Stupid question for the talented metal workers here. My Fargo fenders have a bunch of high spots from rocks hitting the inside, is a slapper better for smoothing this kind of stuff than a body hammer? Is there a better way? I’m a rank amateur compared to most on here but stubborn enough to fumble my way through it!

Rear fenders are the victims here.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. A shrinking disk would probably be your best bet.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I'm assuming these are little dings the size of a dime, and maybe humped as thick as the dime.

I'd find a nice very low crown body hammer and a dolly that fits the inside of the fender's crown closely. With the dolly held gently under the bump you can tap straight down on the bump gently. Not hammering like a nail, but like you are quietly knocking on a door with your knuckles. You can always do more taps, but once you've gone too far you are doing harm. Easy does it, in circles on the ding. If you are making a solid clang sound you are done.

Sometimes it's easier to do work like this with the nice paint still on the surface. You can wet it down to see the sheen and check your progress. Run your open palm over the area. I've found for some reason my left hand can feel dents best, even though I'm right handed.

D-Russ, 57 Fargo and Hnstray like this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've done body work for 45 years and never found the need for a shrinking disk.

TCATTC, 57 Fargo and Hnstray like this.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

rod1, 57 Fargo and rockable like this.
  6. the-rodster

the-rodster

A shrinking disc is perfect for that kind of stuff.

Rich

57 Fargo and rockable like this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I would think a bullseye pick is just the ticket.

57 Fargo likes this.
  8. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I heat the spot dull red and hit it with the water hose. It will shrink back flat.

57 Fargo likes this.
  9. Not even the size of a dime, just multiple little peaks, I’ll see if I can get some pictures later when I’m home

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As already recommended, the shrinking disc is the way to go. Check out Wray Schellin's Pro Shaper diss. The large one is easiest to use. Check out his videos on YouTube for instruction.

A bullseye pick would be for "innies", these are "outies", so the shrinking disc is the right tool.

57 Fargo likes this.
  11. Ok, I may have to give it a shot.

rockable likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Glad to see everyone in agreement for a change........:p

13. I think I always assumed that a shrinking disc was more for oil canning type stuff not the kind of sharp little points I have, as I said though I just fumble my way through this stuff!!

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

The shrinking discs only heats the high spot, and it does so pretty quickly. Once hot, you pull the disc away, and the bump disappears.

57 Fargo likes this.
  15. Hmmmm
    I like to gently tap those down.
    Then finish with a disc.
    If no disc, then tap with a hammer. Use a paint stick with sand paper to monitor progress.
    This doesn’t remove metal like a file and will show highs and lows. Once you are satisfied, finish with a file. Then DA.
    Shouldn’t require any filler.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    oldiron 440 and 57 Fargo like this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, gentle little taps. Check after you do that and let us know if it needs anything else.

17. Beepx22

Beepx22

Eastwood has a bunch of great videos that might give some pointers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 Fargo likes this.
  18. I have zero expectations of having no filler! I’m not opposed to using a little here and there where necessary, always open to learn more.

I had fully planned on gentle taps, didn’t know if there was a tool better than a body hammer to administer those taps.

The chaos will be documented on my thread for my Fargo.

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've said this before and I'll say it again... body hammers should really be called body tappers.

57 Fargo likes this.
  20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If they're small, a shrinking disc is my first choice. But being more 'old school' I'd grab a slapper file, or planisher, and a dolly that fits the final contour, if they are large.

57 Fargo likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

22. These are cool
    0B7E78CD-E43B-4C20-A278-9B8F26FA5113.jpeg

57 Fargo likes this.