Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal Shop Needs Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBonez, Apr 15, 2006.

1. TBonez

TBonez

A friend of mine is need of some help. Brent goes to Vacahigh in Vacaville and the metal shop there is in desperate need of better tools , welder, compressor and such. Seems the school is pitting money everywhere else but the metals class. Rumor has it they want to force it to close. So Brent is putting on a fund raiser to keep the class going and asked me to put the word out. Its at Vacahigh in Vacaville on April 22. There will be live bands, a car show, pinstripers , and art auction. There is also gonna be a bar-b-q. If your in the area stop on by and show some support. If ya awnt to make a donation using pay-pal you can sent it to [email protected]. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated. He built his nailhead Buick wagon with a lot of help from this class and a lot of other young hot rodders use this class. Thanks for your support
    [​IMG]

2. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Thanks for posting this, Tbones got everything right, I have helped build so many cool cars and have built a few cool cars myself using these classes, other wise we dont have access to welders and such if they close the shops...

this is a picture of my Buick wagon, some of you may know of it around...
    I did most of the work on this car in these classes...so keeping them will help us alot!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you can in anyway, come out and support the highschool shops or if you have anything to donate go to the email above posted by Tbonez...

3. Nice Ride Brent! I can definitely tell you the importance of shop classes for people like us! My Metal shop instructor (william "bill" leone) was one of the most influential people in my life and definitely helped direct me more than anyone else during that time in my life. I don't think I'll make the show but I'll definitley be emptying out my change jar (it's about all I can scrounge right now) and sending it to tbonez. Maybe if anyone has any goods or artwork kicking around that can't get it to the raffle or directly donate it could throw up a hamb auction???

4. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Thats cool, like I said every penny counts, But that would be cool if someone wanted to do an auction or something!! good idea!!

5. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Is there a Paypal account set up for cash donations from HAMB'rs?
    Pat

6. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

hey now thats a great idea!! Brent is a great kid, real talented...as is his brother.

Brent....you should try to get something setup in Paypal for donations!!

7. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

That is what Tbonez was doing with his Email, posted in the first post...I am not sure how the whole pay pal thing works, but Tbonez is collecting money and will write me a check the day of the show for the ammount raised!

Thanks Guys! It means alot to us!!
    -Brent

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

"VACAVILLE"???? :confused: you made that up, did'nt you???:p

seriously. good luck. i loved my high school metal shop. thats when i figured out i was good with sheet metal and that i was afraid of micrometers. :eek:

9. TBonez

TBonez

If ya have a paypal account all you have to do is click to send money. It will ask to who and you just have to put in my e-mail address...... [email protected]. When I get the notice I'll e-mail you back so you'll know I got it. Thanx for the support.

10. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

No it means Cowtown, funny but weird...it is a real town all 90,000 of us...also we had one of the coolest dragstrips aorund and my neighbor is a longtime record holder...the strip is now closed and full of weeds, but I am going to take some pictures (with a couple hotrods from around here) soon out on the old track.

and it has been a wonderful 4 years in the class, I learned alot more, plus the teachers are awesome people!

11. Done

Come on HAMBers, lend a hand here. Sounds like a great cause!

12. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Thanks man, it means alot to the shop!! ALL Of us At the Shop Thank you

13. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

Get some artwork together. I'll print up t-shirts for it.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Been there. Done that. I really hope you can keep your metal shop open by getting donations but in the long run you're going to have to get parents, business leaders and school board members convinced it's worth keeping. They, in turn, will have to pressure the entire school board to support and continue your program. Trouble is, you're going against the national trend to do away with traditional "shop classes" and replace them with modern "Technology Labs." After teaching high school wood and metal shop for the past 33 years , I retired in Jan. 2006 when the Board finally decided to close my program, despite good enrollment. My budget was $650 per year, and for years, I spent many hours each year soliciting local businesses for "scrap" materials that I hauled back to the school on my time using my truck. Nobody cared except the kids. It all boils down to politics, money and safety (no liability). I respectfully suggest that you, your students and parents make a high impact presentation to the school board if you want your program to remain. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time.