Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Metal or factory roof on a '29 Studebaker?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I am looking for pro's and cons of restoring my roof to factory form, or welding in a ribbed metal roof. Either way I am restoring all the wood inner structure to hold things up. 00k0k_JjyUK2h1KT_1200x900.jpg 00j0j_P9I3sA2kn1_1200x900.jpg

Hnstray likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Rare car there, I wouldn't do a filled roof. I like the look of an original roof but that's me. I would reinforce body with steel tubing to add some integrity.

29StudeDude likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Interesting body style, looks good. I personally like the original style but they have their problems. With new wood you shouldn't have a problem but they will make road noise and aren't 100% watertight. Depends on what you like, metal top is probably less problems once installed but the leather style top looks better to me.

29StudeDude likes this.
  4. oj

oj

I'd have new wood, finished, and snap in vinyl top. If you did fill it don't do ribbed, get a low crown'd filler made on an english wheel or something to give it shape and rigid.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another thought, fill the roof and then add a top over it as per OEM. I admit, a lot more work. As an example Juliano's I believe sold a kit for 32 Fords that had the roof filled when that was the done thing, now the tide is turning and many like the OEM look with insert. Yours would be a one off and compliment the rare body style. How hard would it be to go rear steer, saving the front apron?

29StudeDude likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Vinyl roof is easier, looks better and will last 20 years, longer if you keep the car indoors. The obvious choice if you ask me.

If done properly will be water tight and not noisy.

29StudeDude likes this.
  7. flatford39

flatford39

That's a really interesting body type. Either one would be OK in my book. Just make sure you do it right. I would tend to lean toward the original soft top if it was mine.

What's your drive train going to be?

29StudeDude likes this.
  8. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I will be fabbing a metal cover between the front fenders to cover the steering rack.

9. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Before I bought the car, I already had a '65 283 sbc, and a rebuilt 700R4 in the garage, so they will be going in. That should be plenty of power for a light, wood structured car. It already has an '80 Firebird disc brake rear end installed.

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Best thing I did for my T was pull the WS6 stuff off my TA rearend and replace it with drums.
    WAY better parking brake setup...much cleaner looking than the fore and aft mounted calipers that were original to that setup.
    Parts are cheaper too.
    That was GM's first rear disc design and the later versions are light years ahead in design.

Still...the WS6 stuff WILL work...so if thats what you are running I hope it works great!!! ;)

LOVE the body style and look of the Stude. 283 is one of my favorite engines too!
    Gonna be one classy ride once its done.

29StudeDude likes this.
  11. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Way neat body

29StudeDude likes this.
  12. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Looks like your T is nice too! The paperwork with the car had a receipt for all new rear brakes, but I haven't had a look at what's back there yet.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Yeah, that's a cool body. Is that a Dictator?

Glad you are keeping the wood. Original top is the best way to go.

29StudeDude likes this.
  14. Yep! She's gonna be a looker
    I'd do a smooth metal roof with the fabric cover.
    The metal insert will add a bunch or structure to the car -& the insert looks right.

29StudeDude likes this.