Register now to get rid of these ads!

metal flake fabric for convertibles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smokindave, Mar 29, 2006.

1. smokindave

smokindave

Does anyone make metal flake fabric for convertibles? I have a 64 Olds and I am looking for something a little better than just a plain color top.

2. Not that this is much help but I've seen '58 to '60 Lincoln's with metal flake convertible tops as stock ( sections along the side) so it does exist. Best bet is to talk to a place that does ragtops as I'm sure they have catalogs of material to select. Stu

3. A convertible top can be made from most any material the will stand up to the elements. The biggest problem would be if you're using an automitive vinyl it may not have the stretch resistance to hold it's shape well.

Metal flake vinyl is available in a bunch of colors so it's available. I have doubts as to how well it would hold up unless it was bonded to some other fabric to help with excessive stretch.

If you find somthing you like, be sure ot find someone who is skilled at MAKING the top. Puitting them on and actuallyfabbing one up are two different things.

4. Hyfire

Hyfire

None of the Zodiac stuff will do you any good. It will not hold up. Your best bet is to try to find reproduction stuff from Lincoln (Like said above) and Cadillac shops(Cadillac used it on the Eldorados Biarritz in the late 1950's). Call around to the repo dealers and see if you get any leads... (Mcveys, USA parts... and so on)

Hyfire

5. Jai

Jai
    from Dallas, Tx

I would suggest fusing it to another heavy duty canvas. If you need something stiffer still, you can use a heavy fusible interfacing in addition to the canvas, or have the canvas treated with a stiffening agent or gesso.

6. The biggest problem you will have with metalflake material (Zodiac) is that it isn't UV protected. After awhile in the summer sun, it will darken, dry out and start to crack like crazy. The stuff is kool, but it wasn't designed for use outdoors. E

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I would actually be interested in this too. I can't imagine there is a ton of the NOS Lincoln or Caddy fabric out there though. What colors where they?