Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Met a 1971 IHRA World record holder...And bought a car from him!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aceuh, Jun 22, 2009.

1. aceuh

aceuh

I recently sold an old truck and had kinda been putting out feelers for an old car. I had a buddy at work tell me to go down the road a piece and check out this old car in a field...I wasn't expecting much, but I was shocked at how nice the car was and how reasonably it was priced. A deal was struck and the old guy and I stepped in his office so we could exchange the cash for the paperwork on the car.

I was immediately struck by all of the old trophies that were lining his office. I made mention that "they don't build trophies like that anymore". The gentleman was more then happy to tell me some stories about where they had been won. Some were for racing and some were for show cars.

This certificate really caught my eye!

[​IMG]

For those of you without your specs on it's dated 5-21-71, the track was Palmetto Drag strip, length 1/4 mile, class C/G, time was 10.94. No speed was listed. He said...that's when a man that knew what he was doing could go out and win...it wasn't about how much money you had.

Here's a picture of the car he set the record in. The gentlemen I bought my car from is on the right.

[​IMG]

Kinda a poor shot...but I tried.

[​IMG]

Same car.

[​IMG]

Trophies in his office.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot of a car that he wished he'd never sold...

[​IMG]

Vicky that he's been building for quite a while with Corvette suspension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I hung around and chatted and listened to his racing stories for an hour or so. I've got no idea how old this guy is...but he's still twisting wrenches everyday making a living. He's the real deal guys. I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon him.

I may have made a good impression with him as well...I've already had two seperate people tell me that they tried to buy this car that I got from him. Both of them claimed to have offered more money and were turned away....I guess I was in the right place at the right time.

Oh! Here's the car I bought from him. I think it still meets the deadline for HAMB approval doesn't it?

[​IMG]

Found this under the seat when I got home...Check out the phone #.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

3. Gigantor

Gigantor

Cool beans - what are the plans for your new hooptie?

4. aceuh

aceuh

I'm not sure 100% on which direction I'm gonna go with my new "Sinpala". I just got back in from getting a new set of pinner whites put on. The old ones had great tread but were dry rotted all to hell. I'm thinking one of the first things I'm going to do is pull the points distributor and drop in an HEI unit. After that I'm just going to drive it and see what breaks. I know I want to add power disc brakes as well as a heavier front sway bar and add one to the rear. I also know that I'd like to lower it a bit...don't know if I'll bag it or not though. I do know that I want to leave the exterior as it is. I've already got enough cars that I have to worry about when I leave them parked somewhere.

The interior has already been redone, so I figure I've got a while before I have to worry about the insides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine is a 283 that he said had been rebuilt less then two years ago...it doesn't smoke at start up or while going down the road. She purrs like a lil kitten!

[​IMG]

While he and I were talking cars, I showed him a picture of my wifes 54 Chevy that's bagged and lays frame. I was afraid that it would be a turning point in our conversation and I'd be asked to leave...But he loved it, and asked me lots of questions about it.:D

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. The IHRA record certificate with Larry Carriers signature is a pretty cool piece. I sure hope he has made the proper araingements so that all that memoribilia doesn't get pitched when he's gone. That has been happening way to often.
    Congrats on the new addition to your fleet.

6. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil

how awesome is that!

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

WOWEEE!!
    I'd have to say go over there more often than not and and hear his stories.
    Kinda like the WW2 vets were losing the pioneers of our hobby at an alarming rate too. Obviously he likes you or we wouldnt get to see pictures etc.
    nice chebby btw