Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Messing Around With an 8BA Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Apr 17, 2020.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Ha ha ha. That’s pretty good Carl.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I like the Bronze and Black.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I have really enjoyed this thread. I started "the build" on my 8BA about 3 years ago. Now, we are in the final stages of assembly and I cannot wait to hear it fire up. And what has been said so far about flatheads being addictive is absolutely true. Somehow or another, they just end up making their way to my shop!! Good luck on getting her running. And thank you for getting your kids involved. Lots of memories to be made!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My favorite flathead color is maroon with a liberal coat of polished aluminum.
    upload_2020-5-12_21-21-39.png

Mattsbidnuz, Jet96, waxhead and 3 others like this.
  5. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Sorry guys. For those interested I know it’s been awhile. I’m in the process of packing & moving. To be continued in a couple weeks.

6. What I drove in 62.........stick, grandpa gave it to me, great beer wagon.......
    PD_0112.JPG

Jet96, waxhead and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Damn Carl. A 1950 Buick Sedanette!!! One of my favorite cars. I used to have a 1950 Buick. I sold it to a guy in Sweden. [​IMG]

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy Carl, that looks like the exact duplicate of one I had in the late '60's. Mine was black and a stick also. The transmission on mine went out and I was in a quandary about where to get one (the local junkyard was a "no go"). My mother, of all people, looked it up in the Sears catalog and found one listed. I called the main Sears store in Minneapolis, and the said they didn't have one. They did say there was one in town, and lo and behold, it was at the Knollwood Sears store, less than 5 miles from where I was living at the time. I went over, paid them the princely sum of $59.95, took it home and put it in. This, by the way, was my first (and last) experience replacing a transmission in a car with a torque-tube.

All in all it was a great car; my DD for several years. I wasn't afraid to go anywhere with it (including several fishing trips to Canada). In the end, it succumbed to the dreaded "tin worm".

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  9. great car gramps bought it new in 50 and as a kid we would go out for sunday drives in it, put a new clutch in it in 61 and painted it metallac blue for gramps, then he quit driving and gave it to me when I went in the service, and mom sold my 46 flathead ford for 50 bucks from under me.....ugg........ sure miss gramps........

10. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I know it’s been a while. Life kind of got in the way for a bit. We moved, so as you all know that completely shuts down the progress of working on any type of hobby. To make matters worse I ended up getting exposed to the Covid by someone at work & then I ended up having symptoms & testing positive a few days later. So needless to say it’s been an interesting couple of months. I was finally able to finish rebuilding my Stromberg 97, rebuilding a fuel pump, & I got the 8BA & cylinder heads painted. Check out the pics & let me know what you think. I also wanted to give a quick shout out to Roseville Carl & thank him for helping me out with the fuel pump as well as his kindness & knowledge. [/IMG]https://www.jalopyjournal.com/mobile-gallery/28c2ef8329e4eadd49ac3143d274b119.jpg[/IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Good job Josh .

Tommy

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  12. Damn....look at all the parts you left out in the last picture!

Mattsbidnuz and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Ha ha. I was supposed to put those parts back in????? Ughhhhh!!!! Back to the drawing bored.

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  14. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I’ve actually got a quick question though. I need to get a fuel pump push rod. From what I can tell I need the longer 10” one for an 8ba right???

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just toss them in the gas tank, they'll find their way home...

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  17. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

18. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Now for my next question. I’m trying to find out what length linkage I need for a 2x2 Fenton intake with dual stromberg 97’s & where to purchase the linkage.
    Thanks

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Tune your carbs. Get yourself a unisync and verify proper throttle position at idle. Take a measure from carb to carb.
    This will get you close. Leave enough room for linkage adjustment.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/using-a-uni-syn-carb-syncronizer.1111869/

20. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

I have 8BA in my 29 with a 12v system. I run the orginal 6v starter with out a problem. it spins fast and usually fires as soon as I hit the button rarely turns more than a half of turn before its running. friend is always amazed how quick it starts. good luck on the flathead it looks good to me.

21. chiro

chiro

I purchased the linkage from Speedway. Had to cut the rod to length and thread the rod with a die. Worked out well. Alternatively, Charlie Price at Vintagespeed.com has lots of linkage options.
    Andy

22. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The cylinder in the first photo will certainly have to be sleeved. The part of the crack on the top by the valve can be repaired in several different ways. The crack by the bolt hole should be fixed but there's a 50/50 chance it wouldn't affect anything. Since you will need to disassemble the engine I would go ahead and plan on new rings, bearings, valve grind and timing gears. Felpro gaskets are fine but I prefer Best brand gaskets. I don't like copper or steel head gaskets, but that's just my opinion. The cost? not that cheap but you would have a good engine that should last a long time. I use Teflon pipe dope ( NOT tape)on the bolt threads. Excellent sealing and makes for easier removal if needed. Be sure the engine and all internal parts are squeaky clean , and that includes the oil passages in the crank, before assembling. I use Play Dough for piston/valve clearance checking.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, I believe the engine in the photos you are referring to are of another engine, posted by someone who wanted the O/P to know what "real" cracks looked like. They were not of this engine. I still use "Fel-Pro" gaskets, too.

After reviewing this thread, I see that the O/P is planning on running one or two Stromberg 97's on his engine. It is probably stating the obvious, but those carburetors are incompatible with the stock "Load-a-Matic" distributor, which should be replaced with an aftermarket or converted Chevrolet distributor.

Toms Dogs and Desoto291Hemi like this.