Register now to get rid of these ads!

message to Sam "TOHRJ"... 3 yrs 2-nite

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiac Slim, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey Sam....
    Been 3 yrs 2 nite... weather here in Maine the same as that nite even..

Has a question a favor to ask ya...The question, that last Xmas card you sent ,there was a quote from an old blues song. You stated that I'd know and appreciate the meaning ! Well I never did get to talk to you about it.. I took a guess and talked to you son Greg about it.. He agrees with my thoughts.. but??
    Favor.. When you see "D", give her hug from Dad & Mom OK...

Got the original hood off the B-coupe hang'n in the new shop... Everyone ask..
    Your missed Sam, without a doubt.. Last summer sit'n on the deck, wife said "just ain't the same without Sam is it?" Well.. it damm sure ain't..

No I have'nt forgot'n the events of that nite 3 yrs ago... Never will..
    Lost a good friend that nite..

Gotta go for now Sam.. God Speed...
    Pontiac Slim ( ya I know)

Attached Files:

• sam.jpg
      sam.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  2. QQMOON

QQMOON

There is a pat on the back for ya slim i know how ya feel

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Never met the man. My bud Chris 50 did the last time he ran Bonneville. Chris hung out for a few days with the crew and helped where he could. He shot a few pictures for the team. He had a great time and wanted to buy a t shirt. Unfortunatly the size he wore was out. Sam took his info and said he would contact Chris when he had more.

A couple of weeks later Chris got an autographed shirt and a note from Sam. I don't know the exact wording, but Sam thanked him for his help and was glad to see a youngin interested in this aspect of the hobby. The shirt he recieved was the one Sam was wearing while driving She Bad Too for a 190something speed. Pretty friggin cool.

Chris talked very highly of the whole week, but I could tell meeting Sam and the rest of the Barons was his highlight.

I went the following year and got to meet the Barons and see the car in person the year after Sam died. It was kinda surreal in the pits.

4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Yep, real cool guy...........

The first year on the salt I was checking out the coupe in the the starting line and asked about it and he said "Climb on in and check it out", yep it was a pain in the but to get into, but very cool. And the year that we drove the roadster p/u to the salt we chased and passed the "Maine" hotrodders driving down the road and I am not sure who was laughing and having more fun.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Oh yea, "ftf".........I still would like to get one of those tag toppers.

5. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

You sure know how to touch the heart strings.

I sure miss seeing "She Bad" trucking down the Highway on the way to one event or another.

I sure believe that there are Hot rods in Heaven, and Sam is running at over 200 every day.

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Thanks for posting that Slim. It just ain't the same without him at B'ville. Last year the team didn't make it although I did see Gary & Morsey. I hope they make it out there this year.

Miss Ya Sam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B:(B

7. I met Sam in Columbus,Ohio at the Street Rod Nationals in 1987,,,,his SHE BAD coupe set my arse on fire,,,,I think it was the flames on the yellar car,,,,,,,,it was a HOT ROD if there ever was one,,,,,,,and the flames on the inside door panels that matched the exterior.

He was a neat guy in the short few hours I was around him,,,,

Rest in Peace,Sam,,,,,,,,,"The Original Hot Rod Junkie" HRP

8. FTF

FTF

TOHRJ Touched people from all over the USA, the guy is with me each time I go to the garage and see that FTF he sent me. I really think Sam's going to be around for the long run, years from now people are going to look at those cars and wonder about the people who built them, and I think thats just what Sam wanted. Hats off buddy, your missed. FTF

9. Lookin at my calender they passed out at the funeral right now. Keep it hangin there to get insipration every day.

Every time I sell one of those FTF toppers I get a tear in my eye making sure people understand who whittled out the original pattern for them, what a character and great guy Sam was and to display the topper with pride like Sam did. While he was with us I think he gave away more of those things than he sold although I know more than a few were traded for a Bud-Wiser.

I can see him up there playing the harmonica and jumpin up and clicking his heals (wonder if he falls on his ass up there too?)

HOT RODS, HARLEYS and ROCK & ROLL!

RIP SAM (Peace - I doubt it, he's up there jambin'!!)

FTF

Dennis & Sue

Playing on the radio - the CD SAM's kids sent us - a copy of the last one they ripped for SAM.

10. Dennis, I stopped by my folks place tonight to visit my T.....really just to lay my hand on the FTF topper in memory of Sam. Met him in 02 on the Salt, read about his cars for years.......................

11. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..

Nice thoughts & comments....

Sam waz one of those people that will only come along once in a lifetime for sure....If you met him you'd never forget him... he'd never forget you either.

Kinda glad he crossed my path. Maybe next year I'll tell yoz a story about the "non hot rod" side of Sam

Pontiac Slim

Attached Files: