Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merlin V-12 (Spitfire/P-51) powered '55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pickled_asparagus, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Pickled_asparagus

Pickled_asparagus

I started off wondering if anyone had ever put an old WWII aircraft engine into a hotrod. In my search I came across this video on Youtube. This guy built a '55 Chevy powered by a Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 like you'de see in Spitfires and late model P-51D's. I love that startup procedure on this thing:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIj2GVfua84&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SIj2GVfua84&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

and welcome to the board :rolleyes:

4. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

jim lytle put allisons in many cars

Attached Files:

5. Wow. No intro and this is what you come up with? Oh boy.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well at least it wasn't a "How much is this worth?" and was about an Aussie :D:D:D

Welcome to the HAMB mate, might pay to go do an intro then a bit of reading. This isnt the average bulletin board and we love folks who use the search function before posting, especially the advanced part, which I myself didnt find until being on here for ages :rolleyes:

Then please do post your questions and hopefully some solutions to others as well. Not everyone here is an expert but you have found the most knowledgable (myself excluded) group of trad hot rod owners/builders/frabricators on the planet.

OMG I'm becoming a nice guy.....

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

This isnt the average bulletin board and we love folks who use the search function before posting, especially the advanced part,

new guys read that, and then we end up with 10 posts on the first page from 3 years ago.

8. riverrat

riverrat

isnt that intro bullshit getting a little old?

9. I remember seeing the "Quad Al" sitting in the window of Cal Automotive, Tex Collins' shop in Sun Valley, CA back in the 60s. The Allison powered White truck sat in his yard in LaTuna Canyon. It all went away when someone shot him.

10. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Aaaah yes - remember the 'Orange Crate'?

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

seriously?

ah, no.

12. Shot him? Expound....

13. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

That 55 Chevy is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for posting that.......

14. Huh? ... Bob Tindle's Orange Crate ran a 417ci Oldsmobile with a crank driven Potvin supercharger and Hilborn injectors:

[​IMG]

15. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

That may have been posted before, but it is still sick.

16. Phil1934

Phil1934

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You're right.

18. Not sure why, But as they say in Texas, "He needed shootin'". It was well known around town that he was a bag of wind and a con man. I never saw the U.S Speed Sport article, but it sure sounds like Tex.

19. I've seen this '55 up close and it's crazy loud, and super nice for what it is.