Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury steering wheel fitment question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loogy, Nov 30, 2005.

1. loogy

loogy

Does anybody know if a 1952 Mercury steering wheel will bolt onto a 1949 Mercury column? Thanks!

Chris

2. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

'49-'51's go on a woodruff key.Don't know if the later ones have splines...

3. loogy

loogy

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Translation: Early system has a smooth tapered area on shaft for smooth tapered hole in wheel. There is a single groove in both parts, and a small chunk of steel called a woodruff key goes into both grooves to lock wheel onto shaft so it can't spin separately. Later model wheels on practically everything have the tapered area vertically grooved/splined with lots of little grooves that all mesh when wheel goes onto shaft. Systems don't directly interchange.

5. loogy

loogy

Thanks Bruce. I know that the '49 Merc steering shaft is tapered with a woodruff key. I guess that I should have been more clear by asking, is the '52 Merc steering shaft tapered with a woodruff key or tapered and splined. If the '52 Merc shaft is in fact tapered with a woodruff key, is the taper the same as the '49 Merc?

Chris