Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Mercury Charlie in an car smash.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anyone shed some light on the rumour of Mercury Charlie being in a car accident and being thrown from his car? This would of course be roundup weekend . He is supposed to be in hospital and his surgeon expects him to recover. His booth at the roundup is carrying on and the junior brown gig at his shop is supposed to carry on.
    Get well good buddy if this is all true. Was Nadine involved too?

2. Steve just made an announcement about it a few minutes ago. I didn't hear about being thrown from the car, but Nadine was not the car....56 Merc was. Said it was pretty bad and he's banged up pretty good but supposed to be fine. Steve asked for prayers and to support his booth.

3. titus

titus

Get well fast Charlie!

4. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Wow that's to bad. Hope you have speedy recovery. Charlie is a real great guy.

5. slammed

slammed

HAMB type auction to help the guy?

6. That sucks for sure Hope he has a speedy recovery.

7. Stopped by his booth to give him my latest FLATHD t shirt made using my Texas vanity plate as a basis.His "crew" informed me he was in a crash and in the hospital;was banged up pretty good but would recover.He has one of the most photogenic and beautiful flatheads I have ever seen in my 50 plus years of hot rod FLATMOTORS in Nadine(his gorgeous chopped top 49-50 Merc) Get well quickly Charlie,regards flatheadjohn47 Coll Sta,Tx.

8. sorry to hear....hope he makes a speedy recovery........

9. x2

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charlie will be in our prayers.

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Our prayers to a speedy recovery

12. sololobo

sololobo

The S.O.T. car gang is sending healing vibes to Charlie, a guy who is the "real" deal.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hope he's OK and recovers quickly and fully .

14. Hate to hear this. Praying for Charlie.

15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like he is pretty banged up , broken ribs , seems his back is ok despite the other injuries. I am not certain of the exact injuries. He will be off work for a while. The surgeons will be taking care of some injuries today. He is going to need financial and moral support to help him and his family get through this.

16. 46stude

46stude

Wow, that's horrible to hear. Anyone know how/what happened?

I went to his shop during the Garage Crawl & was fortunate enuff to have him hand me a flyer for the Sunday gig. Shook his hand & thanked him for opening his shop for us on the Crawl.

17. seatex

seatex

In our prayers, Charlie! Hang tough bro- JB

18. Trends

Trends
    from Austin

MC is badly injured but expected to recover.. Was driving the black 56 Merc which was totaled ....there is a GoFundMe account set up n will b some fund raisers to help him keep the lights on till he's back under a car...

19. redneckmother69

redneckmother69
    from Austin

I am a good friend of MC. Here is the latest and other details. Charlie left the Continental Club at around 9:30 after the Roundup Friday night. He was driving home and close to his house when he hydroplaned into another car or visa versa (still pending investigation). He was driving his 56 Mercury (Not Nadine) when he was ejected from the car into the ditch. He broke several vertebrae, ribs and fractures in his head. Today he is having surgery to repair his back. He is very lucky to be alive. He is completely awake and cracking jokes if you know Charlie. He wants to redo the curtain rods at the hospital because it is "shotty work at best"... to quote Charlie. There is a "go fund me" forum to well wish and donate money to Charlie's Road to Recovery. Please help out in any way you can. He has given a lot to the Hotrod Community here in Austin and we love him very much. http://www.gofundme.com/scmdaw

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the pictures it's lucky he got thrown out (if this is correct) the merc also caught fire,as the small import car appears to have stopped on the passengers seat. A very sad sight. Mercury Charlie is fairly heavily medicated at present in intermediate care. They have removed his neck brace but now has a back brace fitted, no apparent internal injuries . the driver of the small import in still in ICU , so spare a thought for them also.
    Keep us all posted on fundraising to get one of our own back on his feet.

21. Trends

Trends
    from Austin

MC Update
    Surgery went well today. They were able to combine two procedures into one surgery n mayb have him up into rehab in a few days...fingers crossed..
    His daughter n I went to see the car... I've seen alot of wrecked cars but never one as twisted as Lily ....she took a big hit for MC... So sad.... I loved that car....

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Pictures?

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apologies for the reference , I was sent pictures privately and out of respect for Charlie they will stay that way . But rest assured they are horrific , and a blessing also to know know the big guy upstairs said hey mercury Charlie it's not your time .

24. I,too,was sent the photos privately..My opinion on them being shown here would be a positive one,,
    I'm sure it would encourage more folks to give at the Gofund me website,,,other opinions??????

Raunchy likes this.
  25. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I agree with Bobby. ^ ^. I had been keeping up with this thread and then later saw a pic of the car. It was much worse than I had imagined. It might encourage folks to help out . I don't think it would be any disrespect to the man. I would say the deciding factor would be whether or not his family approves of that. Anyway, prayers for a full recovery for Mercury Charlie.

Raunchy likes this.
  26. bottom feeder

bottom feeder

There is no need to post the pictures on the web. Everyone interested knows it was a horrific crash. I would encourage those who received pictures privately to respect their privacy. Keep Charlie in your prayers.

27. millersgarage

millersgarage

I saw one on Instagram. It was hard to make out what kind of car it was.

28. I pray for a speedy recovery...I met him at his shop a few years ago....such a nice, good dude!

29. Bringing this back up for the GoFundMe link...

30. I've sold parts to Charlie in the past, what a character!. So sad to hear of the accident, he's a real salt of the earth kinda guy, hope for a speedy recovery.