Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mercury 51 frenched headlamp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart73, Dec 18, 2013.

1. HatGuy

HatGuy
    Alliance Vendor
    from Arkansas

The status on the Merc. Rings and Bezels is that we will have them later in the Spring. A manufacturing disagreement has delayed production.

We apologize for any inconvienence this has caused.

Ron & Jill www.kustomcarparts.com

2. That is really good news! I have mine already but they are a very popular part that it is nice to see are going to be available again.

3. 49 ford, I rolled a piece of sheetmetal around an oxy bottle and welded them in

Attached Files:

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That works with the 49 rings and is done a lot but doesn't work the same with the 52/3 rings that the OP requested info on.

The headlight rings from Kool Rides are the right ones if you can't find an original pair.

As the others said that Haugen junk is ugly and totally wrong and never looks good on any car or truck.

5. To that earlier point about making the headlights flow. That was something I talked to my buddy Paul about when he was redoing the bodywork on the car... Maybe not the best pic to point this out but I asked him to make the lines carry out nice.

[​IMG]

6. Yours are done the right way John and look good. I have seen a few builds on here when they are done that you can see a noticeable dip where the ring has been attached to the body and it seems like a waste to me after all the work and money on building a painting a car.

7. R Pope

R Pope

These are '53 rings done as I said above.
    Here's a link to the 49 Merc build thread. You have to be a member to see the pictures though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. R Pope

R Pope

When you put them in from the back you don't end up with that bug-eyed look. K13 says cut the rings down but then you couldn't use the stainless bezels.

Attached Files:

9. threewindow

threewindow

I have did several sets and I use the 51 ford steel rings. They have a inside flang about 5/8 deep and trim the outside to make it fit the glass perfect. Looks like they were done back in the early fifties.

10. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Cool thread!