Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc Road Trip & Vintage Tin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Sep 8, 2006.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Well my buddy and i made it back from Michigan and so did the merc. The car worked really well. it didnt like the 11,000 altitude in colorado and then we had to go down the 6 mile 7% grades with the over drive locked in. we pulled over at the start of the 2nd downgrade and the rears were smokin. we pulled the trans cover off and manually pulled the tranny out of overdrive. had to change my skibbies after that first hill! the car did really great for about 1000 miles until we ran out of gas and sucked some rust up out of the tank. and thats where the fun began. the sediment bowl had crap in it so we dumped it and helplessly watched the cork gasket break into pieces. limped it to the next town where everthing was closed so we went to target and my friend found a silicone oven mit that thought would work cuz it was thicker than an inner tubeand made a gasket. it worked for about 100 miles until it grew then broke about double its size. did another one and it only lasted an hour or so. i found a leather work glove on the side of the road and made one out of that and greased it up to seal and it worked... for awhile. went to the next parts store bought everthing we needed except for the cork material!! remembered as soon as the motor started to stumble again about 50miles later! i found a rubber boot layin on the side of the road, used for sealing the end of a pipe somewhere in utah, cut and used it, stuck it in there and it worked for the rest of the trip,, but we did buy cork material at the very next town we got to, just incase it screwed up. the 51 made it to the 395/15 interstate where it started over heating. we came to the conclusion that one of the water pumps quit pumping, 50 miles shy of home,not to bad id say. heres some cars we found along the way and the rusty sedans i tried to find someone to talk to, about them cuz they looked like they were clearin the land to be hauled off for junk in the next week or two. if anybody wants info on them PM me and ill giv you there location in Nebraska. And these are the other Mercs the guy had hidden at his place. i can send a full pic of any of the cars if someone wants to see them better.. enjoy!!!

Attached Files:

2. Trailer queen! I ended on the flatbed last weekend too,on the way home from the Primer Nats. Must be a Mercury thing. Love the pic with the gaspump. Looks like that guy had alot of toys.

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

sounds like a fun trip... I did texas to LA in a 51 shoebox that i just bought earlier this year..the vague feeling that somethings going to break stayed with me the whole trip....and it did finally...only 100 miles from LA.(pertronix and alternator died)
    I like all the different stuff you used for a gasket!

its a brave thing to go over the rockies in an old untried car!

nice merc indeed.hope you got to do lots of miles with the top down!

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Top was down the whole trip except for Tuesday when we had some rain, then got sunburned. We put the top up for a total of about four hours. It was great weather.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

6. Can't believe all those cars just waiting to be picked up.

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Wait where are all those Mercs?!?

8. Oh man, I can't believe those cool old stock cars, that 5w coupe out behind that white (shed)? looked like something good. You were just plain lucky to stumble onto all those. I would'nt mind getting luck like that! :D Gary 4T950 Chevy guy

9. Benzine440

Benzine440

Ah, to be young and scuffling for gasket material in the dark and far from home. I know that feeling.

10. KKustoms

KKustoms

I know right where those old stock cars are, and that Model A is right behind the white trailer they are sitting in front of. That old fart won't sell a thing so good luck on getting those!!

11. :D Well hey, I'm glad to at least learn a little more here about that. So, what is the story on the "old fart"? Is he just old or really old? Did those use to be cars he once raced? Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that trip rocks... oh yeah it would have been easier in a new hyundai, but where's the fun in that??

13. Or a Camry.(inside joke)

14. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You came to Michigan and you didn't call????:eek:

Well looks like you had a fun trip anyway.:D

16. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Those ol' circle burners caught my eye too! Always got a place in my heart for those old warriors.

17. Bigbopper51

Bigbopper51
    from Milford Mi

this will be me hopefully!!!!! right matt!!

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

fine with me! cant believe it was over 6 years ago!!

19. Bigbopper51

Bigbopper51
    from Milford Mi

Took me forever to find this but such inspiration!!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad