Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc-o-matic Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, May 1, 2012.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope one of the Mercomatic / Fordomatic experts can help me with this. The transmission is about a 1951. In which of the two pictures is the transmission in park? The car is not running yet. I'm inclined to say it's the picture showing the second lever at almost horizontal is in park. The other picture shows the second lever pointing downward, which I believe is in gear. The reason I ask is because the slip yoke on the transmission spins freely in either position. I would assume if it's in park that it would not spin. The transmission is low on fluid right now, but wouldn't it still prevent the slip yoke from turning in park?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. Should be the first photo but if you really want to know grab a pair of channel locks and try to turn the tail shaft. That's fool proof.
    The Wizzard

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The tail shaft isn't installed yet. I pushed the slip yoke into the transmission, and it turns in either position.

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump for the morning crew.

5. Park is mechanical linckage inside the gear box. It has a Paw that grabs the outside of the rear hub. With or without the tailshaft installed it should lock when the arm is all the way up. If you can still turn the slip yoke you have a problem inside. How do you push the slip yoke in without the tailshaft installed? Are you calling the drive shaft the tailshaft?
    The Wizzard

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you are correct, I referred to the drive shaft as the tail shaft. I started typing the sentence with one thought, and ended it with another thought. The drive shaft is not installed. As the pictures show, I pushed the tail shaft into the trans, and it spins in the park position. I was going to drop the pan and change the filter and fluid anyway, so I guess I need to take a look at things.

Attached Files:

7. I have seen the Paw brake off from stuffing in Park while still rolling. May be what you have going on. Not hard to fix if you can find the parts.
    The Wizzard

8. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the info. I'll have to drop the pan this weekend. Fortunately, I have a second Merc-o-matic I can steal parts from.

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something is going on with the park pawl. I dropped the pan and looked up in there. It looked like something was missing. I got out my Mercomatic manual and Mercury Chassis part catalog and compared the views. I decided to pull the pan off my second Mercomatic (a 1950 or 51) and look in there. Then I could compare the two. The second Mercomatic had the parts in there correctly. The pawl locked in park. It helped me see the problem with the first Mercomatic (a 1952). I can't tell if something is broken or not assembled correctly, but the pawl and mating parts are loose in there. Would you recommend pulling the transmission out of the car to fix this, or do you think it can be done in the car?

10. With your Merc having an X-Member it makes getting the tail shaft off much more difficult if possible at all. I think at this point you may need to remove the trans. It's been 25 years since I did anything to your specific trans so going to a book would be my first stop. If you are just now finding that park don't work it sounds like you may have not yet driven the car with this Trans in it. How healthy is the rest of it? You can't hurt anything working on just the park issue. Removing the Valve body will help. Being park works in the other trans you have the best blueprint going.
    The Wizzard

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rest of the transmission appears to be good. It was clean when I bought it, no leaks, fluid didn't smell burned, and it was red like it should be. I was told it had been rebuilt a few years prior to when I purchased it.